ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-12, 11:00 AM

sfrank can only hope to improve
Diagnosed at 35 after selling a $10M business

Hi everyone:

I've known about this forum for years, but never posted before. I think it's because I was mad. Mad at ADD and mad at people who claimed it was a disorder.

Like most, I've had it all my life. You know... people saying to me "why can't you just... (pick up your clothes, shut the cupboard door, remember to get the groceries... etc. I know you know what I mean)

Instead, I was focused on my career, and it was going great. I was a high level computer behavior troubleshooter, a great job for an ADDer like me. Solving multi-layered problems catered to my need for challenge and excitement.

Then I saw it.

While solving computer problems was great, it was getting boring. I know you can relate. I started asking myself "what's next?" and the answer was always "tackle the human brain - human behavior instead of computer behavior. So I sold my company (which was doing $10M a year at the time) and decided to change careers.

I never even knew what ADD was, let alone think that I had a disorder. But when I decided to help other entrepreneurs build and grow their businesses (in spite of ADD, like I had), I had no idea that without the constant pressure of external "stuff", my brain would be like popcorn, always kicking up new stuff.

"What's wrong with me?" I asked a psychiatrist. She said "I think you have ADD."

"What's that?" was my reply. At 35 I had never heard of it. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, I have now written a best selling book called The Accidental Millionaire, which tells exactly how I became successful in spite of ADD! Being a lifelong learner, I dove into ADD to understand how to be successful in life, in relationships, with money and have written about that too. I plan to share what I now know on the forum and to learn from others as well, so looking forward to that.

I have ADD tendencies every day but have developed systems of eating, exercising, and being so that I stay fairly organized (there are days that it doesn't work though, just sayin') so that my life is drug-free and pretty cool.

Thanks for letting me ramble on here - glad to be on board!

My Blog

Last edited by sfrank; 05-12-12 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Old signature line is displaying and I don't want it.
Old 05-12-12, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnosed at 35 after selling a $10M business

One doctor who says they "think" you might have ADD.... hmmm.

Well, I think you might have been misdiagnosed.
Old 05-12-12, 11:39 AM

I thought so too, until I had to take the tests. Yep. Confirmed. At least then I had an answer to why my inner world was so chaotic.

My Blog
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-12, 11:49 AM
Suspended Account

Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, it still doesnt mean you have ADD. There are currently NO tests that can validate a diagnosis of ADD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (05-12-12), pechemignonne (05-12-12)
Old 05-12-12, 01:03 PM

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for that. After my "diagnosis", I felt really defeated thinking something was wrong with me. Anyway, glad I've decided to connect here. Thanks for your advice.

My Blog
Old 05-12-12, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account

Well, if you stick around long enough you might gain a better understanding of ADD. Perception is reality, but if your perspective of being defeated is limited to losing a $10M dollar business, forgetting to shut doors, or buy groceries and you call that a chaotic inner world, then you simply don't get it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (05-12-12), pechemignonne (05-12-12), peripatetic (05-12-12)
Old 05-12-12, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi OP .....well, I have to admit that you are showing serious signs of having ADD.....why do I dsay that ? .....

1) this is a support group for people who deal with having/being ADD/ADHD which is a condition that is a serious one, with life changing ( and NOT good ones) and frustrating problems.......I don't think I have met anyone here who says blithely ....oh I was so good at what I did that I sold that business for 10 million ......

honey, if yoiu added up all the main posters who are currently posting a ,.lot here....and their incomes, ....for life.....you probably wouldn't add it up to 10 million dollars......

most, but not all, of us are struggling to just get by in the most basic of ways .....and frankly, we would most likely want to punch you striaght in the nose.....we wouldn't of course, because we're nice people.....and have better manners than that .......but you are showing your possible ADD because you pop here and gloat over people struggling just to get by without hating ourselves oh and drop broad hints that we should buy you new book too .....tacky tacky tacky .....

if you had read just a couple of posts by people here, you would have known it was the height of the worst possible manners to post a thread with a title like that .....a title like that will cause most of us to see red ....and I for one did not think ....oooo I wonder how he/she did that ? ....

I think .....b****

I don't know if you're for real or not ...if you are....you need to fall back and re-think your approach to this forum and it's members, you won't win a lot of friends on the path you are currently treading.....

Your humblness is underwhelming ......you should practice more if you plan to stick around here.....actuallly upon reflection, you need to practice it more if you want to genuinely connect with real people ....and stop going to those self-help seminars, you are deep in the obnoxious zone.......

This might seem harsh, the words I am writing now....this whole post ....but if you are for real, please take it in the way it was meant ......if you are real, you need to know that you're alienating folks......in a big way .....

you're not coming off as perky and cute and hardworking ....you appear to be a life sized j***

and if you are a real person, you should know that .....

and if you're a troll......times 4 baby .......times 4

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Bungison (05-17-12), FogNoggin (07-15-12), ginniebean (05-12-12), lateralthinker (07-15-12), Luvmybully (05-13-12), pechemignonne (05-12-12), peripatetic (05-12-12), plank80 (05-13-12), Retromancer (05-12-12), Spacemaster (07-15-12), stef (07-15-12), tudorose (05-13-12), Unmanagable (05-13-12)
Old 05-12-12, 03:40 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

After having done just a little web research I did not strike 'addgold'. It appears to be self promotion, and funnily enough when I looked up the book there was nothing there about having adhd. It was just you too can be just as awesome as me with these tips and tricks.

What really bothers me is that people really believe crap like, it's just a small obstacle that with a cheerful attitude and a few hints you can OVERCOME your disability!! ughhhhh.. anyway, smells like snake oil to me.

don't worry tho, we'll just be branded with 'they have such poor attitudes' (which this cheerleader sort tends to feel is the actual disability)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-12-12), FogNoggin (07-15-12), lateralthinker (07-15-12), Retromancer (05-12-12), salleh (05-13-12), tudorose (05-13-12), Unmanagable (05-13-12)
Old 05-12-12, 04:00 PM

Thanked 6,236 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Attention Deficit DISORDER is only a DISORDER if it interferes profoundly with your life. That's in the DSM, it has to noticeably interfere with your life. You might have Attention Deficit, but not Attention Deficit Disorder.

Being a little sad now and than is not the same thing as a depression diagnosis, and being a little anxious now and then is not the same thing as an anxiety diagnosis.
Having attention deficit symptoms is not the same thing as an ADD diagnosis.

I am fonder of certain aspects of my ADD than most people on these forums, and I've even gotten in testy debates about how I actually like ADHD a little bit, even though it has caused me endless grief. While I can find some good in it, it is still a disorder for me, one that has gotten in my way my entire life, and kept me trapped in minimum wage jobs even though I'm one IQ point short of mensa.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
FogNoggin (07-15-12), Retromancer (05-12-12), salleh (05-13-12), zoekate (05-12-12)
Old 05-12-12, 04:06 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrank View Post
Hi everyone:

I've known about this forum for years, but never posted before. I think it's because I was mad. Mad at ADD and mad at people who claimed it was a disorder.

Like most, I've had it all my life. You know... people saying to me "why can't you just... (pick up your clothes, shut the cupboard door, remember to get the groceries... etc. I know you know what I mean)

Instead, I was focused on my career, and it was going great. I was a high level computer behavior troubleshooter, a great job for an ADDer like me. Solving multi-layered problems catered to my need for challenge and excitement.

Then I saw it.

While solving computer problems was great, it was getting boring. I know you can relate. I started asking myself "what's next?" and the answer was always "tackle the human brain - human behavior instead of computer behavior. So I sold my company (which was doing $10M a year at the time) and decided to change careers.

I never even knew what ADD was, let alone think that I had a disorder. But when I decided to help other entrepreneurs build and grow their businesses (in spite of ADD, like I had), I had no idea that without the constant pressure of external "stuff", my brain would be like popcorn, always kicking up new stuff.

"What's wrong with me?" I asked a psychiatrist. She said "I think you have ADD."

"What's that?" was my reply. At 35 I had never heard of it. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, I have now written a best selling book called The Accidental Millionaire, which tells exactly how I became successful in spite of ADD! Being a lifelong learner, I dove into ADD to understand how to be successful in life, in relationships, with money and have written about that too. I plan to share what I now know on the forum and to learn from others as well, so looking forward to that.

I have ADD tendencies every day but have developed systems of eating, exercising, and being so that I stay fairly organized (there are days that it doesn't work though, just sayin') so that my life is drug-free and pretty cool.

Thanks for letting me ramble on here - glad to be on board!
I'm glad your life is awesome.

I would love to have an awesome life too, and I'm happy to hear that you want to share your success with others.

Can you make money transfers to Canada, so that I can have an awesome life like yours?

That way, we could commiserate about how irritating it is to always have to have the cook complain about how the cupboards get left open, and how the maid tut-tuts about the clothes on the floor. And how embarrassing it is to have no caviar left in the house when guests come over because you forgot to do the groceries.

I'm sure just one or two of your millions would completely transform my life, and help me a lot. Feel free to PM me, and I will give you my account information so that you can make the cash transfer.

Then I think I might write a book of my own!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-12-12), FogNoggin (07-15-12), Retromancer (05-12-12), salleh (05-13-12)
Old 05-12-12, 05:46 PM

Thanked 10,521 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

10 million bucks I wouldnt care either or if I had add or not,I wouldnt even bother working anymore.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-12-12), angora (05-13-12), FogNoggin (07-15-12), Glexster (05-14-12), pechemignonne (05-12-12), salleh (05-13-12), tudorose (05-13-12), Unmanagable (05-13-12)
Old 05-12-12, 07:02 PM
Jr Member

massageguy is on a distinguished road

Looking at her profile makes me VERY dubious about her claims. All of them Excuse me for my cynicism but it sounds like her main motivation here is to sell her book.
It is crass to rub other's faces in her wealth. My biggest struggle is with my inability to maintain employment despite my brains and skills. Recently diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) I'm glad to understand where my problems lie.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to massageguy For This Useful Post:
FogNoggin (07-15-12), salleh (05-13-12), Unmanagable (05-13-12)
Old 05-12-12, 10:27 PM

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your book, there are lots of stupid people in the world willing to spend money on a book that promises to solve all of their problems and find financial success. Personally, I'd rather read an ADD book written by someone who's been where I've been. As for books on finance/wealth, perhaps you have an interesting story. Perhaps it is even a good read. What it is not however, is a formula for success and I suspect that most who buy it will be looking for that. I say this with confidence, everyone has a unique story and millionaires are self-made. Fools read books written by millionaires looking for secrets to success. I read books by millionaires because I feel like it and witha huge grain of salt.

I don't doubt that you are ADHD though. Anyone who makes a post like this without realizing that it looks like SPAM and/or shameless plugging that is certain to just tick a bunch of people off has all the proper traits of impulsiveness to fit under our tent. You certainly chose a terrible way to introduce yourself.

None the less, congrats on the book deal and success with sales... and I do wish you the best. I'm just not interested in reading it myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Melissashai (05-12-12), Retromancer (05-12-12)
Old 05-12-12, 11:36 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Diagnosed at 35 after selling a $10M business

All you need to know about the OP's book (from the Amazon listing):

Quote:
This book cites 9 books:
Consider yourself warned.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Blueranne (05-12-12), Drewbacca (05-13-12), peripatetic (05-12-12), tudorose (05-13-12)
Old 05-12-12, 11:39 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno but this might be the most well crafted spam for promoting we've ever seen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-13-12), Drewbacca (05-13-12), salleh (07-15-12), tudorose (05-13-12)