ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-24-12, 12:46 PM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about
Why would Adderall XR make someone feel depressed??

One time when j was prescribed Adderall XR a few years ago, I felt kind of depressed and avoiding my family (more than i usually do and not for anxiety reasons). Other times it made me obsessive or more motivated/positive. But why would it depress me that time I was on it? I discontinued it becaise of that...years later i tried it again and now I'm considering it again because Adderall IR isn't doing crap but XR still comes in brand name.
Old 05-24-12, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,364 Times in 7,823 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why would Adderall XR make someone feel depressed??

Were you on other medications the last time you took adderall xr?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-24-12, 02:15 PM

holepunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcy View Post
One time when j was prescribed Adderall XR a few years ago, I felt kind of depressed and avoiding my family (more than i usually do and not for anxiety reasons). Other times it made me obsessive or more motivated/positive. But why would it depress me that time I was on it? I discontinued it becaise of that...years later i tried it again and now I'm considering it again because Adderall IR isn't doing crap but XR still comes in brand name.
Adderall, like any amphetamine, has a specific mode of action. Not only does it prevent reuptake of dopamine back into the neuron, but it also directly releases dopamine by inhibiting the VMAT (vesicular monoamine transporter) which packages neurotransmitters (in this case, dopamine) into their vesicles within the neuron. Because of this, vesicles are chronically depleted.

Before Adderall, you would have a positive experience (i.e. getting a promotion), and your dopaminergic cells would fire, releasing a rush of dopamine - the result? You feel happy, rewarded and motivated. This was only possible because there were stores of dopamine to be released in the first place.

After Adderall, you have a positive experience, and your dopaminergic cells fire, but there isn't much dopamine stored, so the firing isn't as efficient as it would have been before. That happiness you expect to feel simply isn't there, and simple things that brought you pleasure before may no longer do so.

This happens with those dependent to methamphetamine - see here:

That is why you would feel depressed, even while on it. Further, if you were taking desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) while on Adderall, the effect would be intensified, since that drug is also an SSRI.

Best,
425runner (05-24-12), ana futura (05-26-12), Fraser_0762 (05-26-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-12, 09:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

@holepunch do you think taking a break from Adderall/Vyvanse and taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg which is NDRI would help? At least temporarily? The video explains a lot!

Thanks for posting this. I've become extremely depressed on Vyvanse, before everything was peachy keen, I even went off my depression meds because I felt good but that is no longer the case
Old 05-24-12, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
@holepunch do you think taking a break from Adderall/Vyvanse and taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg which is NDRI would help? At least temporarily? The video explains a lot!

Thanks for posting this. I've become extremely depressed on Vyvanse, before everything was peachy keen, I even went off my depression meds because I felt good but that is no longer the case
No problem.

I`m not a doctor, but hypothetically, any sort of reuptake inhibitor would be discouraged if you want amphetamine-induced depressive symptoms to subside.

If it were ME, I would simply take a multivitamin everyday and a healthy dose of l-tyrosine. Depending on how long you've been taking amphetamine products, you will go through a period of hell while your receptors up-regulate to accommodate for the reduction in dopamine firing (i.e. you will be more depressed). After that hump, functioning will return to normal (hypothetically), and depressive symptoms induced by amphetamine should subside.

This is not accounting for other possibilities, like permanent neuronal death or other irreversible damage (this DOES happen on amphetamine products, but has a lower likelihood if you are using a dose that is 30mg or less per day). Amphetamine's chemical structure is neurotoxic, and no amount of PR marketing crap can say otherwise. It's just that we have come to the realization that we are willing to consume a potentially toxic product to reap benefits sufficient for that risk (I take Adderall too!).

Methylphenidate on the other hand, enhances the activity of VMAT, which means more dopamine gets packaged into vesicles. It is because of this that Ritalin is not neurotoxic, and may even be considered neuroprotective by some.

This is all very heavy stuff, so I recommend you talk to your doctor before you modify your medical regimen in any manner. Not only out of legal obligations, but out of my own personal concern for you, diving into amphetamine withdrawal can be extremely dangerous. It is possible if you are prepared and under medical supervision, but suicidal thoughts and completed attempts have been documented during amphetamine withdrawal, so PLEASE be wary of this!

All the best,
425runner (05-27-12)
Old 05-25-12, 12:03 AM

tired tired is on a distinguished road

Adderall is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor fficeffice" />>>
And a releaser (as opposed to Ritalin which is only a reuptake inhibitor)>>
>>
There is an inverse relationship between drugs that induce dopamine >>
Vs drugs that induce serotonin (antidepressants). >>
More dopamine means less serotonin >>
opposite is true (antidepressants makes you feel lethargic so its more common for people on AD to gain some weight plus serotonin is mostly secreted in the gut and makes you feel more hungry. >>
>>
Dig it up somewhere but I am sure that it true. >>
Old 05-25-12, 01:48 AM
Jr Member

buknoy is on a distinguished road

There is a very close relationship between our baseline stress levels and our tendency to develop depressions. And, thus, the constant, daily bombardment of stressors increases our likelihood of developing depression.

I think of anxiety as our "emotional" response to those stressors. Anxiety is often manifested as fear, worry, obsessing, uneasiness, "can't relax", and sometimes it's directed towards some event, person, or idea; sometimes it's mis-directed toward all events, people, or ideas. Doesn't really matter if directed or not, it's still feels like "anxiety."

So, just like stress, there is that relationship between our baseline anxiety levels and our likelihood of developing depression. High chronic anxiety can result in depression, AND, vice-versa.

This is why SSRIs are usually the psychiatrists first-line drugs for treating chronic anxiety, more-so than benzodiazepines. Likewise, depressed people get prescribed anti-anxiety meds, in combination with SSRIs.

But one of the primary side-effects of adderall IS anxiety. This may be one of the components behind the depression caused by adderall. I really recommend consulting your doctor, because, if you already have a chronic anxiety disorder, the adderall may be making it worse.
Old 05-25-12, 02:11 AM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buknoy View Post
But one of the primary side-effects of adderall IS anxiety. This may be one of the components behind the depression caused by adderall. I really recommend consulting your doctor, because, if you already have a chronic anxiety disorder, the adderall may be making it worse.
Yes, my MD is aware of this and prescribed Pristiq + Deplin to hopefully counter this and help my anxiety/OCD. Last time I was on Pristiq + Deplin (but not any stims) it seemed to have too much of an effect even though I was at the lowest dosage. What I mean by "too much" - I felt kind of under stimulated, a little careless, lacking passion (not caring much). My OCD was almost entirely gone and it was much harder to get that anxious feeling that suddenly jumps on you when say you're embarrassed about something, it just sort of muted that bad sensation from coming in as easily. So this was good and bad. I guess I'm used to anxiety motivating me to pay attention to some degree so this may have been part of the reason for carelessness.

Quote:
That is why you would feel depressed, even while on it. Further, if you were taking desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) while on Adderall, the effect would be intensified, since that drug is also an SSRI.
Thanks for the post, didn't know about Adderall's effect on VMAT. The thing I don't understand is why this depressive feeling started right from the beginning (I think it was the first dose). When I stopped Adderall XR/it wore off I felt better (well, back to my "normal" anyway)

Actually, Pristiq is an SNRI.
Old 05-26-12, 03:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by holepunch View Post
This is not accounting for other possibilities, like permanent neuronal death or other irreversible damage (this DOES happen on amphetamine products, but has a lower likelihood if you are using a dose that is 30mg or less per day). Amphetamine's chemical structure is neurotoxic, and no amount of PR marketing crap can say otherwise.
lol.....
The Following User Says Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-26-12)
Old 05-26-12, 03:51 PM

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,020 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that you eventually feel some what depressed on any stimulant is because it isn't possible to feel good forever.

When you first start taking a stimulant, you feel great, then after a while you feel good, then after that, you feel simply ok.

"holepunch" pretty much sums it up in the biological sense.

Because Adderall is constantly releasing dopamine, theres not much back up left over to be released naturally when something good happens in your life.
ana futura (05-26-12)
Old 05-26-12, 05:53 PM

Thanked 6,227 Times in 3,057 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I experienced depression when I first started dexedrine, because for the first time in my life I was no longer able to ignore the stressful things in my life. I got overwhelmed, then sad. I coached myself through it, but I had to get a few freakouts out of my system at first. I also had to stop looking for gratification in the usual places.
Old 05-26-12, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
lol.....
I'm confused. Is something funny?
Old 05-26-12, 08:08 PM

Thanked 6,227 Times in 3,057 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm confused. Is something funny?
The content of what you said wasn't funny, but the frank manner in which you said it struck me as funny. It's funny cause it's true...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/po...-true-09-10-13
Old 05-26-12, 09:31 PM

js81pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Adderall, like any amphetamine, has a specific mode of action. Not only does it prevent reuptake of dopamine back into the neuron, but it also directly releases dopamine by inhibiting the VMAT (vesicular monoamine transporter) which packages neurotransmitters (in this case, dopamine) into their vesicles within the neuron. Because of this, vesicles are chronically depleted.

Before Adderall, you would have a positive experience (i.e. getting a promotion), and your dopaminergic cells would fire, releasing a rush of dopamine - the result? You feel happy, rewarded and motivated. This was only possible because there were stores of dopamine to be released in the first place.

After Adderall, you have a positive experience, and your dopaminergic cells fire, but there isn't much dopamine stored, so the firing isn't as efficient as it would have been before. That happiness you expect to feel simply isn't there, and simple things that brought you pleasure before may no longer do so.

This happens with those dependent to methamphetamine - see here:

Best,
Interesting, I take IR but I feel the opposite of what you speak of, things don't bring me pleasure, but for instance, on medicine it does. When I come down however, it is a different story. I feel the medicine makes me have more positive and negative emotions, for better or worse. I think I have been out of touch with my emotions so long it is hard to deal with them when problems arise that otherwise I wouldn't make a big deal about.
Old 05-26-12, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js81pa View Post
Interesting, I take IR but I feel the opposite of what you speak of, things don't bring me pleasure, but for instance, on medicine it does. When I come down however, it is a different story. I feel the medicine makes me have more positive and negative emotions, for better or worse. I think I have been out of touch with my emotions so long it is hard to deal with them when problems arise that otherwise I wouldn't make a big deal about.
The phenomenon I described happens after long-term use, and yes, when your blood levels of amphetamine drop below a certain threshold.

You would feel more pleasure while ON Adderall because of the constant dopamine release.