ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 11-17-04, 03:03 PM

flin is on a distinguished road
Ritalin LA 20mg + Ritalin LA 20mg = Ritalin LA 40mg?

Hello everyone!
I was just wondering... If I took two Ritalin LA 20mg pills at once, there will be the same results as if I took only one Ritalin LA 40mg pill? Can I take it without risks?
Thanks
Old 11-17-04, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I would think so. If 40 mg LA tabs release over the same time period as 20 mg tabs, then I don't see the problem. In fact, my doc had me do this with 150 mg Wellbutrin XL when we were trying a dosage increase, just to make sure I could tolerate the drug before getting the 300 mg prescription.
Old 11-17-04, 05:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Yes it should be the same but it's a good idea to talk to your doctor before increasing the dosage on your own.
Old 03-07-05, 01:46 AM

OldSchoolG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flin
Hello everyone!
I was just wondering... If I took two Ritalin LA 20mg pills at once, there will be the same results as if I took only one Ritalin LA 40mg pill? Can I take it without risks?
Thanks
yes its the same...I just started taking Ritalin LA, I have 20mg pills and 10mg pills...I'm still trying to see what works best for me...good luck...
Old 06-27-12, 06:14 AM

ThePunisher is on a distinguished road
Re: Ritalin LA 20mg + Ritalin LA 20mg = Ritalin LA 40mg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flin View Post
Hello everyone!
Thanks
Exactly the same mate. That's the 'idea' of measured doses. If you take a 20mgs, it is the SAME in terms of outward pill compositionand this means that the physical properties of the pills remains the same from the 'outside', as a 40mg Ritalin capsule.

There are almost always invariably the same number of 'beads' per se, the difference is merely in the potency/concentration/amount of Methylphenidate (MPh) that is present in the beads that changes. There will ALWAYS be 50% instant releasing, and then 50% that release (because of the consistency and material surrounding the beads) about 4 hours later. The difference between a 20mg and a 40mg capsule is not different in terms of the number of beads you might see if you removed them and put them in a glass, NEITHER is there a difference in the AMOUNT of beads in each capsule that will be either instant release or longer acting (4 hour-delay). The ONLY DIFFERENCE, is the concentration of MPh that has been dosed into the beads, with the obvious difference being a magnitude of 2.

Therefore, taking 20Mg has identical features in terms of duration, site of action, mechanism of action, mechanism of release, mechanism of metabolisation, mechanism of psychological/physical effects. The DIFFERENCE is the potency of those effects (magnified by 2). There is no difference in terms of how long it will last, and how it will work. Just merely, how 'hard' it will work.

Conclusion if can't be bothered reading above = It is exactly the same, there is literally no difference whatsoever, at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePunisher For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-27-12)