ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-12, 10:34 PM

damewalt is on a distinguished road
New, sharing my story

G'day all, just thought I'd share my story, as I'm not really feeling comfortable sharing my diagnosis, or the fact that I'm going down the path of meds with family and all but one friend, who was diagnosed last year, and spurred me into action in dealing with my condition seeing the positive impact it's had on him.

I'm a 36 y/o male, married to my long suffering wife for 11 years, who herself is visually impaired, and an 18 month old son, which was the prime catalyst for sorting myself out.

I've always been a "problem child" according to my parents, though they saw my compulsive, troubling behaviour as a kid as something I consciously did, and have always treated me pretty much as a non-human. They tried to me to see a Psych at around 7 or 8, but did so almost as a punishment, and the Psych also treated me pretty poorly and as a result, I never received a diagnosis nor were willing to address my problems as I grew older.

I never got my higher school certificate as I could never concentrate enough to study, though did fall into I.T. at 17, and have pretty much had 40-50 jobs, keeping them for several months until ADD-type behaviour cropped up and I lost them. I've also never been good at general housework, and we frequently have had to move, as my wife can't do it, and though we never got a single breach of our lease conditions, we tended to get terminated eventually due to generally disorganisation of the house at inspection times.

Not having a regular GP moving so much, they have all tended to throw antidepressants at me despite my assertions that I was/am not depressed in a clinical sense, and it wasn't until I bit the bullet and paid for a private Psychiatrist consult a couple of weeks back, that I received the diagnosis and began treatment.

I am determined to address the issues that have prevented me keeping up with my personal and work responsibilities, we are close to being able to buy a house, and I just need stable work, and a clear focused mind for a few months to achieve this.

I thank all the contributing members here for the advice shared, I can't believe how similar many of the stories I'm reading here are.

As I posted in another thread, I'm having severe headaches with Ritalin which is negating what I think would otherwise be a positive reaction, I'm hoping one of the other drugs available here in AU may be better for me, and allow me to start getting on with life, and working out what non-medicinal therapy I need to "learn what normal is".
Old 05-27-12, 12:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New, sharing my story

Hi and welcome! I responded to your other post ^_^ so I won't repeat myself

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook