ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-12, 09:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

Chicchick will become famous soon enough
Adderall SAVED me from my eating disorder

I know there is much being said about how stimulants (maybe Adderall more than any other) can make people with eating disorders worse, and it is recommended that they are not prescribed to them.

Let me give you a little background on me. since a young age I always had slightly disordered eating habits. I would binge eat and then starve and WAY over exercise (I'm talking 90 minutes to two+ hours a day for a thirteen year old). I was thin at this time, but still was stuck with the few last pounds I could never seem to lose, and I was "skinnyfat", or thin but with no muscle tone, so I did not look good. Despite my undiagnosed ADHD, I dragged myself through endless cardio workouts, which were almost impossible with my short attention span. I had no self-confidence. I thought about food most of time time and hated myself, for the most part.

When I was evaulated for depression by a psychiatrist, it was discovered that I had ADHD as well. Though it was a bad idea, I never really told my doctor about my eating habits. I don't believe it was a full-fledged "eating disorder" but it was headed in that direction. After being put on Adderall and Wellbutrin, my need to over-exercise diminished. I no longer felt pressure to count everything I ate, and I started eating enough and exercising healthily (60 minutes 3-4x a week). I wouldn't stress about my next meal, or even over-think about food until a few hours after eating!

I almost think because of my very low levels of Dopamine and NR I looked to exercise to restore those levels, and forced myself to not eat because my appetite was SO HUGE due to the imbalance. I am so grateful for this so much, because I feel like I now function like a normal person, and I seem to eat enough for my body, plus I lost those last three pounds or so that was driving me crazy, in a healthy way! I almost have to force myself TO exercise sometimes, which I find so hard to believe because of my past.

Unfortunately, the mornings are tough because even with the wellbutrin, i seem to have a tendency to eat 700-800 calories at breakfast alone before I take the adderall. But I have adjusted the rest of my day so I got the right amount of food for the day, and just have smaller meals every few hours later in the day. I know if i don't eat before I take my meds it's hard to eat at all in the day, but I heve never felt the need to do this.
Has anyone else had an experience similar to mine?
Old 05-31-12, 11:38 AM
Contributor

of_two_minds will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall SAVED me from my eating disorder

Just a quick question--How long have you been on adderall?

And a thought--When it comes to exercise and dieting, whether for weight loss or improved athletic performance, people often see better results when they start to eat a little more and exercise a little less. The theory is that your body will hold on to the weight, which you see as extra but your body sees as essential, because of the stress of exercise and low calories. In other words, if you were a cavewoman living 20,000 years ago, you'd need every spare bit of fat your body could hold in order to survive stressful times. Your brain knows it's just a cardio workout, and there's plenty of food available. Evolution programmed your body to think otherwise.

The other thing is that you're not likely to overcome "skinny fat" through cardio exercise. Weight bearing exercise and a little more food will help you build muscle and tone.
Old 05-31-12, 06:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Chicchick will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall SAVED me from my eating disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by of_two_minds View Post
Just a quick question--How long have you been on adderall?

And a thought--When it comes to exercise and dieting, whether for weight loss or improved athletic performance, people often see better results when they start to eat a little more and exercise a little less. The theory is that your body will hold on to the weight, which you see as extra but your body sees as essential, because of the stress of exercise and low calories. In other words, if you were a cavewoman living 20,000 years ago, you'd need every spare bit of fat your body could hold in order to survive stressful times. Your brain knows it's just a cardio workout, and there's plenty of food available. Evolution programmed your body to think otherwise.

The other thing is that you're not likely to overcome "skinny fat" through cardio exercise. Weight bearing exercise and a little more food will help you build muscle and tone.

stimulants in general, about 6-7 months now. Adderall about 3. Yes, I think the meds allowed me to step back and be more logical with being healthy. I do more weight training now, and I feel so much better!
Sponsored Links