ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-31-12, 05:18 PM

junior is on a distinguished road
What are the effects of Vyvanse on drug tests?

I had an interview a for a company last Tuesday or May 22nd. It went well and the hiring managers told me they were going to get started on running background checks and all of the other usual pre-employment requirements. Two days after the interview I get a call from the manager telling me that I passed the background check and that they'd like for me to go in for a drug test. As I was filling out the paperwork at the collection site I noticed that there was no section to list any prescription medications I might be taking. I think I've heard that Vyvanse can show up as an amphetamine which is illegal without a prescription. How will they know that I'm on this medication legally without documentation? Will they be able to distinguish it as Vyvanse and not just an amphetamine? It's been a week, and finding out the results for a drug test has never taken this long. Do companies usually call to confirm that you failed the drug test? How long should I wait before there is cause for concern?

The day after I provided my sample, I decided to be safe and take my prescription script to the collection site in order to send it along with my sample. Unfortunately it had already been shipped by the time I got there. I called the collection site and they wouldn't give me any advice on what to do in my situation. They just told me to call the testing site, and the testing site would tell me to call the collection site. I might have to call the company for the results, but I was trying to avoid disclosing the fact that I take this medication because I don't want it to get in the way of getting the job.

Would calling and asking if the drug test had come back give a bad impression? I wouldn't necessarily be asking about the results in that case. What are my options here? Perhaps I could word my question differently to avoid arousing suspicion, but getting the information I need? Any ideas?

Last edited by junior; 05-31-12 at 05:30 PM..
Old 05-31-12, 05:42 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Re: What are the effects of Vyvanse on drug tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior
Do companies usually call to confirm that you failed the drug test?
I believe they will ask about you about any prescription drugs if the identified substance could be legally possessed by an individual with a prescription. If you then provide documentation, then your drug test will be reported as negative for most cases (as in, no illegal substance use detected).

Vyvanse will likely show up as dextroamphetamine, as that is what it is metabolized into. It might be possible to detect the use of Vyvanse specifically if any significant quantity of it is excreted unchanged or if there are any unique byproducts of the first pass metabolism, but I doubt that they would attempt to do this as Vyvanse itself is still a controlled drug in the same category and would still require justification.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 05-31-12, 05:55 PM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

In the future do not take your medication 3 days before a drug test. I have taken a drug test 48 hours after my last medication dose and passed by drinking tons of water and increasing my metabolic rate by doing weights and cardio. You only option is the call the lab and ask them if they need a prescription from your doctor in case you failed the drug test and that you had the bottle with you when you took the test but no one asked for it. I always try to get a negative drug test result because it is so much easier. I tested positive before 2 times once the doctor requested my prescription for the medication and the other time I showed it right there.

I think it is illegal for the lab to even tell the employer as long as you have proof of prescription. I am not 100% sure about that in the USA though.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-12, 05:20 PM

BM19790416 is on a distinguished road

I took a drug test no more than two hours ago and, as I take Vyvanse, indeed tested positive for amphetamines (if you do test positive, be clear in letting them know it is AMPHETAMINE and not Meth-AMPHETAMINE!).

I took a copy of my most recent prescription from the doctor, which contained the name of the medicine, the date prescribed, and the name/info of the issuing Dr/Pharmacy. The amphetamine 'positive' on the test was then covered.

You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever verifying that you do take Vyvanse, and testing positive for a drug which you're legally prescribed is no grounds for a failure, in that regard.

I'd just make sure your script is up to date eg: no later than 30 days old.
Old 06-20-12, 05:21 PM

Flounder41 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: What are the effects of Vyvanse on drug tests?

When a UA (urine analysis) drug test is ran
They're testing for metabolites of illegal drugs.
Metabolites are chemicals your body creates from
Products you intake. So they look for certain metabolites
Only the drugs they are looking for can make.

If you have a script it's legal to take what it is.
With it you will pass
Just call and clear everything up with them
That's all
Old 07-10-12, 10:58 AM

Shonji75 is on a distinguished road

I've been told by my doctor that it may show up on a drug test. I've taken two drug tests for employment with two different private ambulance companies recently. Prior to taking the test I told both companies, "I take a prescription medication that I have been told might show a false positive on a drug screening." Both companies said that was fine. If it showed up I just needed to provide a copy of the prescription. The screening came up negative in both cases and both companies offered me a job. I suggest being up front and honest and carrying a copy of the prescription with you just in case.
Old 12-12-13, 12:03 AM

LadyHeir is on a distinguished road

I take Vyvanse, I have ADD, all is legit.

But to all you people saying "you'll pass, and everything will be fine" let me explain how WRONG you are.

Yes, you'll pass. But it takes about 3 or 4 EXTRA WEEKS to pass because they won't take your prescription information when you leave the sample, they wait to get negative results, then send it for more in depth testing. And if you're unemployed, like me, that's time you REALLY wish you were working.

So, yes, I just got an offer, and I'm going to discontinue my medication so that I can start my job ASAP. I plan to buy the really accurate 7-panel test they sell in drug stores, and wait until I pee clean before taking the employment test. Because I'd rather wait 3 days to pee than 4 weeks to start working. The fact that what medication I take isn't just between ME and MY DOCTOR, and interferes with/delays, my ability to start a job is infuriating.

I want to know how long it takes daily 40 mg of Vyvanse to clear my urine because I want to start working sooner. Last time I got benched 4 weeks before I was cleared to start work.

Last edited by someothertime; 12-12-13 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with guidelines