ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

View Poll Results: How do you handle your anxiety?
Medication 14 30.43%
Counseling 6 13.04%
Medication & Counseling 11 23.91%
Something Else 24 52.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-12, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

KatrinaCaitlin will become famous soon enough
Anxiety? What's yours?

Just curious about others anxieties, and also what may trigger them.

Here are some of mine,:
I believe I have just GAD although I get my diagnosis on June 7th.

But some of my triggers, and/ or anxieties are

Touch, such as anything greasy, scratchy, rough, or dry feeling ex. dried mud on my hands. Makes me anxious, and overwhelmed, then that leads to frustration, and short temper.

Wal-Mart self check outs - I think this may be an ADHD one but when it's constantly telling me to pay, or bag the groceries, or there is an unwanted item on the scale every 5 sec it drives me up the wall. I'm trying to concentrate on the ask at hand, but I've got that thing yapping in my ear, and telling me every other thing.

When people in checkout lanes don't go as fast as I feel I need to, that makes me very impatient, and irritant. And it's not their fault they are going the pace a normal person would go, my body just always feels the need to go fast, really quick.

Next one is if physical pain gets inflicted on me even if it's by total accident. For example lets say I'm getting blood drawn at the clinic, and (depending on the nurse sometimes they do a really good job where it doesn't hurt at all, others hurt like hell) you get the nurse that isn't very good at it and puts the needle in and it really hurts. Well I have a sudden rush of overwhelmed anger run through me and I wanna punch whomever is causing the pain. Even though the nurse obviously isn't trying to. Another example being my boyfriend accidentally swings his arm back without knowing I'm behind him, and it hurts me. In the back of my head I know it was a total accident, and I shouldn't get mad at him. Except because of the infliction of pain though, I want to punch him back twice as hard, and I have an overwhelming feeling of anger, and get pissd at him.

Crowded spaces such as let's say in Wal-Mart I'm in an aisle with only a few people in it then 4 people come to look in the same spot I am and kind of are crowding me. I have to immediately get out, I feel enclosed, my chest tightens, I get extremely overwhelmed and anxious. I had this problem ever since I was very little, first episode happened during christmas shopping in Wal-Mart.

Well that's all the ones that I can think of right now, feel very free to comment on mine, or add your own
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
Old 06-02-12, 06:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all
Re: Anxiety? What's yours?

I take xanax for my anxiety
The Following User Says Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
KatrinaCaitlin (06-02-12)
Old 06-02-12, 06:45 PM

Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,560 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

multicolored posts give me anxiety, among other things. I also take xanax.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-25-12), ana futura (06-03-12), arrested_truth (08-17-12), CheekyMonkey (06-02-12), Drewbacca (06-03-12), flashgun101 (06-28-12), KatrinaCaitlin (06-02-12), Plognark (10-25-12), stagnatestate80 (08-21-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-12, 06:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueranne View Post
multicolored posts give me anxiety, among other things. I also take xanax.
Sorry
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
Old 06-02-12, 07:01 PM

Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Its nothing to apologize for. Really, Im just being a smart ***.

However, a lot of us do have a hard time reading some of the colors and fonts. There are a lot here who have dyslexia or similar type of learning disabilities. And for me personally, its hard to read the multicolored posts, so even if I want to reply to a thread I might not be able to even finish reading it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 07:03 PM

Oddly enough though, when Im in school taking notes I use different colors of pen for each new paragraph... but usually write really bold and only use darker colors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 07:25 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 13,863 Times in 6,960 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I have severe GAD and I take Klonopin.

I have 95+ % symptom control at 3mg/day

I recommend either Klonopin 1 - 1.5 mgs/day or Ativan 2-3 mgs/day as a starting point for you.

When talking with [NTers] it's like exchanging floppy discs but with fellow neurodiverse its like using high speed wifi - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-12, 07:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Its nothing to apologize for. Really, Im just being a smart ***.

However, a lot of us do have a hard time reading some of the colors and fonts. There are a lot here who have dyslexia or similar type of learning disabilities. And for me personally, its hard to read the multicolored posts, so even if I want to reply to a thread I might not be able to even finish reading it.
Oh ok lol,
and is it possible to change it? Or too late? Also thanks for your input
Old 06-02-12, 07:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
I have severe GAD and I take Klonopin.

I have 95+ % symptom control at 3mg/day

I recommend either Klonopin 1 - 1.5 mgs/day or Ativan 2-3 mgs/day as a starting point for you.
Thanks, currently I take 25mg of Vistaril. Although they may change that when I go in next time.
Old 06-02-12, 07:28 PM

You only have a 30 minute edit period after posting, so its too late for this one....

No worries
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
KatrinaCaitlin (06-02-12), RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 06-02-12, 07:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
You only have a 30 minute edit period after posting, so its too late for this one....

No worries
Oh ok lol, thanks
Old 06-02-12, 08:55 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,334 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

All the things you listed make me irritated/skincrawl/wig out. Although I don't really consider mine "anxiety." I think of it as a symptom of the ADD that I deal with through deep breathing, taking breaks before I get overloaded, or trying to distract my thoughts from that topic.

Anxiety for me comes in the form of invasive negative thoughts that build into full-blown anxiety.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
KatrinaCaitlin (06-02-12), Plognark (10-25-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (06-03-12)
Old 06-02-12, 11:09 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

"Touch, such as anything greasy, scratchy, rough, or dry feeling ex. dried mud on my hands..."

"All the things you listed make me irritated/skincrawl/wig out. Although I don't really consider mine "anxiety." I think of it as a symptom of the ADD that I deal with through deep breathing, taking breaks before I get overloaded, or trying to distract my thoughts from that topic."

Thise sound like a symptom of Sensory Processing Disorder (it was a topic in a course I took recently). Untreated SPD could contribute to anxiety. It's not an ADD symptom to my knowledge, although it wouldn't surprise me if they often went together.

My partner has some mild sensory issues and chronic low level anxiety. He can't stand certain textures, light touch, and he walks with his arms away from his body as though he wouldn't like it if they touched. He's also more sensitive to pain than the average person. I keep meaning to investigate the connection further between SPD and GAD and whether getting treated for SPD symptoms might help his anxiety even if his symptoms are not severe enough to be considered SPD per se.

http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
CheekyMonkey (06-02-12), KatrinaCaitlin (06-04-12)
Old 06-02-12, 11:12 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,334 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
"Touch, such as anything greasy, scratchy, rough, or dry feeling ex. dried mud on my hands..."

"All the things you listed make me irritated/skincrawl/wig out. Although I don't really consider mine "anxiety." I think of it as a symptom of the ADD that I deal with through deep breathing, taking breaks before I get overloaded, or trying to distract my thoughts from that topic."

Thise sound like a symptom of Sensory Processing Disorder (it was a topic in a course I took recently). Untreated SPD could contribute to anxiety. It's not an ADD symptom to my knowledge, although it wouldn't surprise me if they often went together.

My partner has some mild sensory issues and chronic low level anxiety. He can't stand certain textures, light touch, and he walks with his arms away from his body as though he wouldn't like it if they touched. He's also more sensitive to pain than the average person. I keep meaning to investigate the connection further between SPD and GAD and whether getting treated for SPD symptoms might help his anxiety even if his symptoms are not severe enough to be considered SPD per se.

http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html

I agree 100%!!!

I have mild sensory processing issues which is why all these things resonated with me. I work with autistic kiddos who have similar but usually more severe sensory issues, so I know how much it can affect a person's life.

An occupational therapist with a specialty in sensory processing disorders will be able to help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-03-12), Drewbacca (06-04-12), KatrinaCaitlin (06-04-12), purpleToes (06-02-12)
Old 06-02-12, 11:12 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Not too many specific things cause me anxiety. I'm more of an all-purpose worrier.
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
KatrinaCaitlin (06-04-12)