ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-06-12, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Traveler5 is just really niceTraveler5 is just really niceTraveler5 is just really niceTraveler5 is just really nice
Is there really any difference between brand-name Adderall and generic Adderall?

On this forum I see a lot of people post they take Sandoz generic or some other generic of Adderall as if they're all different variations of the same drug. Some have said there's a difference between the generics. Don't they all have the same "active ingredient" (four amphetamine salts) as name-brand Adderall? Why would there be a difference in how these meds treat ADHD? Doesn't the FDA make sure generics do the same thing as Adderall did before it went generic?

I don't get it. Is one generic brand better than another?

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Old 06-06-12, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,491 Times in 2,334 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is there really any difference between brand-name Adderall and generic Adderall?

I find a difference with ritalin...can't speak for adderrall
"In dreams you don't need to make any distinctions between things. Not at all. Boundaries don't exist. So in dreams there are hardly ever collisions. Even if there are, they don't hurt. Reality is different. Reality bites. Reality, reality." Murakami
Old 06-06-12, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Traveler5 is just really niceTraveler5 is just really niceTraveler5 is just really niceTraveler5 is just really nice
Re: Is there really any difference between brand-name Adderall and generic Adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence1989 View Post
I find a difference with ritalin...can't speak for adderrall
But how can there be a difference if they're all the same drug -- four amphetamine salts?

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-12, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

spc123 has a spectacular aura aboutspc123 has a spectacular aura about

No, they are all the same. They have to be by law. If one is different in effect than another, then someone is violating federal law.

The reaction to a drug can be variable given numerous factors, from what you eat to how well you slept. It is possible that some people have received a different brand of a drug during such a time, and wrongly attributed the difference in perceived effect to a difference with the drug. As well placebo is a strong force. It could be that someone worries about receiving a different version of a drug and that worry causes them to experience a variance in effect. For example an amphetamine may increase your heart rate. However if you worry about it, your heart rate will rise, irrespective of the drug.

I personally feel that this board shouldn't allow discussion of the variation among generics outside private debate. The discussion leads to conformation bias, where like minded people get together and feed off each others experiences, thereby falsely confirming to the individual what the group believes. The danger on a site like this is people like yourself, genuinely searching for helpful information, are coming across these discussions. These people may fall victim to the same confirmation bias, and as such a potentially strong placebo effect. The drugs might do the same things, but the perception of the drug can be impacted quite strongly by misinformation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spc123 For This Useful Post:
DayWalker (06-07-12), Traveler5 (06-06-12)
Old 06-06-12, 05:21 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,164 Times in 2,894 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

You could spend a week reading all the posts on this topic here.
Everything that I have to say on it is here http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124783
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
starry (01-10-13)
Old 06-06-12, 05:54 PM
Contributor

bumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of light

I dont know what brand mine are. I looked on the bottle and it just says Amphetamine salts, thats it. its a 30mg tablet. its round and pepto bismo pink.

My pharmacst used to order the football shaped peach colored ones untill they werent available a while back and all he could
get were the pnk round ones. I noticed a big difference and asked him to keep ordering them even after the footbball ones were available again.
Old 06-06-12, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

KatrinaCaitlin will become famous soon enough

I get Ampheta that's what my insurance covers but never had the Brand name couldn't compare.
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
Old 06-07-12, 01:18 AM

Cytosol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spc123 View Post
No, they are all the same. They have to be by law. If one is different in effect than another, then someone is violating federal law.

The reaction to a drug can be variable given numerous factors, from what you eat to how well you slept. It is possible that some people have received a different brand of a drug during such a time, and wrongly attributed the difference in perceived effect to a difference with the drug. As well placebo is a strong force. It could be that someone worries about receiving a different version of a drug and that worry causes them to experience a variance in effect. For example an amphetamine may increase your heart rate. However if you worry about it, your heart rate will rise, irrespective of the drug.

I personally feel that this board shouldn't allow discussion of the variation among generics outside private debate. The discussion leads to conformation bias, where like minded people get together and feed off each others experiences, thereby falsely confirming to the individual what the group believes. The danger on a site like this is people like yourself, genuinely searching for helpful information, are coming across these discussions. These people may fall victim to the same confirmation bias, and as such a potentially strong placebo effect. The drugs might do the same things, but the perception of the drug can be impacted quite strongly by misinformation.
This is a great post and describes the situation exactly. Really, if you look into any forum about any medication, people will swear up and down that the generic version is different from brandname. Generic medications must meet the same strict regulations that the brandname versions do, and the resulting effect from the medication will always be the same. In the end, you are ingesting the same chemicals. Slightly different fillers may possibly cause reactions in an extremely small number of people, but that is the exception to the rule.

The placebo effect can be extremely prevalent, and confirmation bias can quickly get out of control. Especially if a new member starts reading a few posts, they might immediately believe that generics will cause undesired results, then due to the placebo effect could actually experience these adverse effects. They will then be likely to perpetuate this idea further as 'fact' and the cycle continues. I agree that this discussion of generics versus brandname should cease, as it may actually be negatively affecting people's experiences and possibly removing the opportunity for successful treatment with the drug. For instance, if an individual can only afford generics, but believe they are low quality and experience adverse reactions due to the placebo effect, it is denying the person a potential treatment option.
Old 06-07-12, 01:54 AM

DayWalker is on a distinguished road

Quote:

^This^

I have to agree because if there was a really a non placebo induced difference, the Feds would picked up on it since there milllions of people who take the drug.
Old 06-07-12, 02:00 AM
Jr Member

daft77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

people have a right to discuss the different generics,looking at some of your older posts makes me question if you should have an opinion...unless you are a doctor? or just work out at the gym?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daft77 For This Useful Post:
Fadedgirl (11-09-13), spunkysmum (06-07-12), starry (01-10-13)
Old 06-07-12, 02:41 AM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Is your question "is there a difference between brand-name and generic" or "is there a difference between generic manufacturers?" Your discussion title asks one but your post seems to ask the other.
Old 06-07-12, 02:51 AM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
N
With all due respect, this is ridiculous. If anything, there is a wide variation in the stated experiences and strong opinions shared by members on these topics, and no evidence that anybody is allowing other people's shared experiences to influence their own. It seems to me that what you're saying is that discussion and information is bad because it messes up people's heads by making them think and stuff.
BillDoolin (06-07-12), Fadedgirl (11-09-13), hjajck (06-07-12), starry (01-10-13), xskatebakerrx (06-26-13)
Old 06-07-12, 06:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

spc123 has a spectacular aura aboutspc123 has a spectacular aura about

Discussion is fine as long as there is something to discuss. Subjective opinions on drugs can vary, but they fall into the same category as whether or not someone enjoys watching baseball. It's pure opinion. The problem is that people present these opinions as if they are fact, and someone reading these threads might not go to a university with a medical school and strong pharmacology program, and might not have access to academic journals or the wherewithal to use them.

Please understand that I accept that subjective opinions can vary, and I don't begrudge anyone their belief. But to use an analogy, it's like believing the moon landing was a hoax. I have no problem if someone wants to believe that. I do have a problem when someone passes that belief off as fact, and convinces others of the same. It goes from a belief, to a perpetuation of false information.

The difference is, nobody was ever hurt by disbelieving the moon landing, while someone could be harmed by a belief that generics are significantly different than brand name drugs, or that there is significant variation between generics, brand name or off brand drugs.

There is no difference in the drugs. This has been proven time and time again. The sun is hot, the sky is blue, water is wet and generics are the same as brand. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. So if someone experiences a difference in the effect of a generic vs a name brand, or two generics, and the drugs are the same, where must the difference be? With the individual taking the drug. It's largely perception, and the perception of people reading some of the threads here on the topic could be erroneously swayed, thereby causing them to legitimately feel lesser effects from a generic.
Old 06-07-12, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,829 Times in 7,609 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Well if there is no difference than a large majority are suffering from the placebo effect.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
hjajck (06-07-12)
Old 06-07-12, 09:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

Legally, the *active* ingredients must be the same and the drug must work the same way. However, the FDA doesn't require generic drugs to contain the same *inactive* ingredients. This means generic drugs can, and typically do, include fillers. This can affect everything from absorbtion to efficacy. Some of the fillers can cause an allergic reaction in some people, wheras the brand name might not.

They are not the same.

Personally, I have experienced this with two different drugs (not for ADHD) at two separate times.
BillDoolin (06-07-12), starry (01-10-13), xskatebakerrx (06-26-13)