ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-12, 10:44 PM

0town21 is on a distinguished road
Question Hey, anyone else out there?

Hello, I'm a recently diagnosed junior in high school, Predominantly Inattentive. I got started on 30mg Vyvanse by my doctor. My problem is that sometimes I worry that my issues are imagined or maybe I just need to work harder. I'm late for everything, even when I try really hard not to be. I think I'm the worst procrastinator ever, nothing gets done until the last minute. I walk around constantly, I'm slow at everything, super disorganized, lose everything, have a terrible memory. I don't know, people tell me I shouldn't be telling myself I have ADHD and just work harder. The Vyvanse hasn't worked and I don't know if I should try to find the right meds/dosage. I'm hurting academically, but I know high school is nothing compared to college so I'm really worried....
I came on here to know I'm not the only one and hopefully get advice from people in similar situations
The Following User Says Thank You to 0town21 For This Useful Post:
Jerrysa (06-08-12)
Old 06-07-12, 12:02 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,559 Times in 8,798 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Hey, anyone else out there?

Working with your doc to find a more effective med could help tremendously. Pills don't teach skills, but the right diagnosis/med/dose can help you reach a level of functioning to better manage some of the things you're struggling with.

You came to a great place for support and knowledge. Welcome.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
0town21 (06-08-12), hjajck (06-07-12), Raye (06-07-12)
Old 06-07-12, 06:03 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

I'm also recently diagnosed, although a bit late in life ( I'm 32) and the predom inattentive type. I was originally prescribed vyvanse- it didn't work out for me, I had to switch meds. How long have you been taking it? Have you told your doc you feel it isn't working?

If you are properly diagnosed ADHD, then you aren't 'telling yourself' you have ADHD.. you have it, so people who are uneducated about this issue shouldn't be saying that to you...just my opinion.

And you are so intelligent to worry about your future. It sounds like you are on the right track trying to manage and control your symptoms.

I'd talk to your doc about the meds.. if you've been on them a bit and you feel they aren't working, a dosage change or med change may be needed....also unmanagable is right. Pills don't teach skills... along with meds comes therapy on how to change your behavior patterns.

Good luck and again welcome.

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-12, 09:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,939 Times in 13,093 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to your doc. You deserve proper treatment and you aren't lazy or worthless. You have a neurological disordered.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 06-07-12, 09:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

Hi there! Welcome to these fabulous forums. It's a great place for support.

I used to feel the same way as you, even after being recently diagnosed (I'm 31). But the more reading and research I did on ADHD, I came to the conclusion that yes, it is REAL, and non-ADHDers just don't have a clue.

I don't discuss my diagnosis with anyone (other than my doctors), rarely my husband, even. They just don't get it. I used to feel horrible about myself, and wonder why I just couldn't be like other people. Motivate, energetic, great memory, etc.

Once people started telling me we had a conversation that I didn't remember (multiple times), I knew I had a very real and serious problem.

Personally, I think it's wonderful that you received a diagnosis relatively early in life. I think it would have made things a bit easier for me, and things would have made much more sense.

BTW, if you haven't seen it - there is a Teen Forum in addition to all the other great parts of this site.

Again, welcome!
Old 06-07-12, 12:16 PM
Jr Member

OwlReally has a spectacular aura aboutOwlReally has a spectacular aura about

Welcome! Just echoing what everyone else has said--finding the right meds can make a world of difference.

And listen: you know yourself. If you feel like you have issues that can't be solved by just "working harder" (how many times has everyone here heard that one?), then chances are something is actually going on, and that something may be ADHD.

I'm 27, and I beat myself up so much when I was your age for not being "better" at everything. But you shouldn't. Like others have said, ADHD is neurological. There is literally a part of your brain that operates differently from a neurotypical brain.

Definitely talk to your doc about different medication. (I was put on Ritalin IR, fwiw, and it's worked wonders.) You WILL find something that works for you. Even exploring your options for treatment is an important step.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to OwlReally For This Useful Post:
0town21 (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 10:40 AM

Jerrysa is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Hey, anyone else out there?

Stay with the vyvanse and tell your doctor EXACTLY how you feel & times these moods change. If vyvanse dosen't do the job he or she will find the right medication for you. To have someone tell you to just "work harder" is like telling someone in a coma to It's time to "wake up". If only I had been diagnosed ADD 30 years ago there is no telling how my life would have changed. Been on Vyvanse 3 years now and up till then had the exact same day to day confusion as you. Finally, at 57, I am focused, "fairly" organized and on time, (most of the time)
Old 06-08-12, 01:05 PM

I've had it for a month now and I haven't told my doctor that they don't work yet. But we only spoke once about it, and I"m using this online thing with questionnaires instead of speaking to her personally. Anyway, I think I'll send her a message about it.

Thanks a lot for your reply
Old 06-08-12, 01:10 PM

I've read about people who got diagnosed later in life and how hard it was for them.
I"m glad you know what's going on now and I hope you're doing better!

Thanks a lot