ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 06-07-12, 02:08 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice
Do those with Sluggish Cognitive tempo have problems with long term memory?

I know ADHD does not interfere with memory once the information has been encoded but I was wondering if anyone know if it is different with SCT. Do SCTers have bad memories in general?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jshect For This Useful Post:
ADifferentDrum (02-14-13)
Old 06-07-12, 02:14 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice
Re: Do those with Sluggish Cognitive tempo have problems with long term memory?

and if you do know an answer to this could you please tell me where you heard or read this so I can read it. Information on SCT is scarce.
Old 06-07-12, 06:59 AM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

short or long term memory or both?

(having a very distractable day so not self-checking this right now but) I think ADHD does in a way interfere with memory recall as a expression of deficit in executive functioning or working memory
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-12, 08:25 AM

cybersk8er has a spectacular aura aboutcybersk8er has a spectacular aura about

Nope I have very good long term memory. Poor working memory though.
Old 06-07-12, 08:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

I have a poor long-term memory. I remember specific parts of my childhood, but there is a LOT that I can't remember. It's quite disturbing, actually. To my knowledge, nothing horrible happened that I am blocking out.

I don't know if it's ADHD related. It could be from a combination of medications, other health issues, and a concussion.
Old 06-07-12, 04:06 PM
Contributor

cybersk8er, are you sure you have SCT and not just ADD-PI? They may be seperate disorders altogether, they are currently debating that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jshect For This Useful Post:
Flory (06-07-12)
Old 06-07-12, 04:14 PM
Contributor

Slo-mo, I guess I am talking about both, but more specifically long term. On Wikipedia Sluggish Cognitive Tempo someone cited Dr. Barkley and said "Those with SCT symptoms show a qualitatively different kind of attention deficit that is more typical of a true information input-output problem, such as memory retrieval and active working memory, and display a wavering "up and down" mental pattern with extremely variable levels of intense thought, hyperactivity, and failing memory."
I was wondering if the "output problem" and 'memory retrieval" issue has to do with long and mid term memory.
Old 06-07-12, 04:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD effects our executive functions, one of which is working memory (short term), but who is to say our distractability isn't something that effects our long term memory... It takes me for-e-ver sometimes to memorize some stuff, I get distracted way too easily

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-07-12, 04:36 PM
Contributor

No, for me even information that has been encoded into my memory is difficult to retrieve. This is generally not a problem ADHDers have. There memories are as good as the rest of the population once the info in encoded in their memory. I am not sure however about SCT.
Old 06-07-12, 11:28 PM

cybersk8er has a spectacular aura aboutcybersk8er has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshect View Post
cybersk8er, are you sure you have SCT and not just ADD-PI? They may be seperate disorders altogether, they are currently debating that.
Nope, I'm pretty sure I have full blown Inattentive ADD, probably SCT.
Old 06-08-12, 04:57 AM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshect View Post
Slo-mo, I guess I am talking about both, but more specifically long term. On Wikipedia Sluggish Cognitive Tempo someone cited Dr. Barkley and said "Those with SCT symptoms show a qualitatively different kind of attention deficit that is more typical of a true information input-output problem, such as memory retrieval and active working memory, and display a wavering "up and down" mental pattern with extremely variable levels of intense thought, hyperactivity, and failing memory."
I was wondering if the "output problem" and 'memory retrieval" issue has to do with long and mid term memory.
hmmm, I understand all memory is input/output regardless its classification.

If that's not what you're are asking, sorry.
pls clarify for me bc I love discussing this topic. i feel better described by SCT than Ahdh-pi.

Yet SCT symptoms are being tested against many various models and so it's murky out there as they try to parse distinct data sets to find that what can't be attribututed to something co-morbid.
Old 06-08-12, 05:16 AM
Contributor

Slo-mo, my understanding is that ADHDer's have a problem with the input. Of course if there is no input of informatin there will be no information for the output part. My understanding is that when ADHDers finally get the info successfully inputed into there brains their (memory retrieval) output is fine. My question is do SCTers have a problem with memory retrieval even once the information has been encoded. In other words do they have terrible memories. I'll have to read more about input/output to make sure I am using the term correct. And ADHDer's have a problem with working memory, and I am trying to figure out if SCTers have problems with working memory and long term and mid term memeory. Anyway the quote I used cited a Barkley book and the book costs $80 and is 750 pages so forget that. And I checked the index and there is only like 5 pages on SCT. That's one thing that ****** me off about Barkley, All of his books and lectures are costly and he will have 2 hours on ADD and 10 minutes on SCT so it's almost not worth purchasing his stuff. I knoiw it's more profitable for him to sandwhich everything in there in his lectures, but I wish he would do a 2 hours lecture exclusively on ADD-PI and SCT.
Old 06-08-12, 05:19 AM
Contributor

I think its such an interesting issue, the extreme range that our deficits fluctuate in. we all have our experiences which deviate from the norm, but get defined by dx. our problems aren't fitting well into the dsm-iv "shoe" bc unlike everyone else, we don't just walk or run. we rumba, skip, bunny-hop, and tippy-toe but that's not by choice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slo-mo a-go-go For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 05:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future

Things like this can get kind of tricky. I have a terrible time remembering information that I deem to be unimportant. For example, I am the world's worst trivia player -- it's so bad that it would certainly reach the level of some sort of diagnosable clinically significant deficit if there were tests for that.

The thing is, though, I think it's a problem on the input side. If you don't pay any attention to boring stuff to begin with you're not going to recall it 5 years later - but that's not necessarily a long term problem per se.

Short term and long term memory are thought to have very different mechanisms. The former involves loops of sustained brain activity; the latter involves lasting changes in the strength of connections between neurons. If there are abnormalities in those looping circuits (as there usually are with folks like us) but the brain cells themselves are fine you can have poor working memory but very good long term memory.
Drewbacca (06-08-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 03:57 PM
Contributor

Speaking of difficulties of memory encoding or its retrieval, I'm recalling that what I want to refer you to is W says my brain. Meaning what I want to find for you as Barkley alternative has a W in the 1st few letters.