ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-08-12, 05:05 PM

mrljock87 is on a distinguished road
Two different adderall prescriptions from two different doctors...

Basically, I accidentally got two Adderall prescriptions from two different doctors.

The prescription from my GP doctor is for 20mg IR twice a day, while the other prescription from a doctor at my student health center is for 20mg XR once per day.

I have filled the prescription from my GP and I know this is unethical and I would never do it again, but I have already gone through the prescription and still have the prescription from the other doctor for the XR Adderall and I'm wondering if it would be possible to fill it up without getting in trouble.
Old 06-08-12, 07:23 PM

Re: Two different adderall prescriptions from two different doctors...

Basically what I'm trying to ask is...is what I'm thinking about doing illegal?
Old 06-08-12, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Possible? Maybe, but you would not be wise to try it.

I wouldn't be worried so much about getting "in trouble" as getting yourself marked as someone that they will never prescribe Adderall to again.

It's not going to be too long before all of your health information is available to any health care professional at the touch of a button. If you get caught going through two prescriptions in the time that one was supposed to cover, they are never going to trust you again.

Take the unused prescription back to the person who issued it, and explain to them that you got one from your other doctor, and so you don't need the one they gave you.

I couldn't tell from what you posted, but if the reason you ran out of the other prescription was because you were taking more than the prescription authorized, you should probably just wait until it's time for your next regular refill. If the reason you took more is just, well, for fun, you really need to stop doing that. If the reason you took more is because the prescribed amount truly wasn't enough to help your symptoms, then you still should wait until your next refill, but before you get it, I would go to your doctor and just tell him that you don't feel like your current dose is working well enough for you.

But if the reason you ran out is because you took it as prescribed and just haven't for whatever reason gone back to the prescribing doctor yet, obviously you should just go back and have him write the next prescription.

Doctors, for some reasons that have to do with valid medical concerns and for some reasons that have to do with an overbearing DEA that inappropriately meddles in people's medical care, implementing policies that often interfere with a doctor's ability to provide the treatment they would otherwise, are pretty cautious when it comes to prescribing things like stimulants and pain meds. It really doesn't take much for them to decide that a patient isn't an appropriate person to give these types of meds to.
Flory (08-24-12), mrljock87 (06-08-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 07:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

spc123 has a spectacular aura aboutspc123 has a spectacular aura about

Even obtaining the two prescriptions without the doctors knowledge is a felony. If you fill the second and get caught, you could go to jail.

Sorry to be blunt, but there's the answer to your question. Yes, you can get in trouble. Very serious trouble.

Edit: North Carolina has a state wide prescription database, so you will likely get caught.
mrljock87 (06-08-12), silivrentoliel (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys. I really didn't know what I was doing was a felony or could get me in trouble.

What would you suggest I do with the unfilled prescription? Throw it away, return it to the doctor?

Also, can a doctor find out if I have had another prescription written, even if it hasn't been filled at a pharmacy?
Old 06-09-12, 04:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Content ID will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrljock87 View Post
Thanks guys. I really didn't know what I was doing was a felony or could get me in trouble.

What would you suggest I do with the unfilled prescription? Throw it away, return it to the doctor?

Also, can a doctor find out if I have had another prescription written, even if it hasn't been filled at a pharmacy?
A doctor may be able to find out that it was written, all of your medical records have to be held so all healthcare providers can see your history..

What you SHOULD do with the prescription is this and doing so otherwise can get you into even more trouble. Go back to the doctor explain to him or her that you forgot you had a script at home already filled and that you need to return that one out of being responsible. If you throw that prescription away if somehow and trust me it DOES happen if someone got their hands on that and tried filling it up under your name oh boy a nightmare you really don't want...

tl;dr Return prescription to doctor out of being responsible and do not throw it away. Don't do it again hope you learned your lesson.
Flory (08-24-12)
Old 06-09-12, 11:48 PM
Jr Member

rlb2011 is on a distinguished road

On what date did you fill the first prescription?
Old 06-11-12, 12:12 AM

holepunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrljock87 View Post
Basically, I accidentally got two Adderall prescriptions from two different doctors.

The prescription from my GP doctor is for 20mg IR twice a day, while the other prescription from a doctor at my student health center is for 20mg XR once per day.

I have filled the prescription from my GP and I know this is unethical and I would never do it again, but I have already gone through the prescription and still have the prescription from the other doctor for the XR Adderall and I'm wondering if it would be possible to fill it up without getting in trouble.
I'm a little confused - how do you ACCIDENTALLY have two different doctors fill a prescription for Adderall? Wouldn't you realize you already had a prescription before going to the 2nd doctor? And then on top of that, you realize you have 2 prescriptions and still decide to have both filled?

That really doesn't sound like a mistake to me - it sounds like you tried to pull something but you aren't sure of the consequences and/or are having second thoughts about it. In any instance, i'm not sure what you could do, simply because admitting to either doctor OR the pharmacy as to what happened would raise the same concerns and questions I posed above.

My apologies if there is some story behind this that explains all the oddities.
Old 06-11-12, 12:43 AM

icedcoffee is on a distinguished road

I've done something similar before.

I used to be on Concerta before I switched to Adderall. The concerta worked well sometimes but it was just inconsistent in the way it affected me.

A couple months ago I got my adderall prescription and the pharmacy told me it was on backorder and it could take up to a month.

So impulsively I freaked out and called the doctor's office and asked if I could have a concerta prescription so i wouldn't have to be entirely without meds for a month.

Then I was like "oh...i should probably see if a different pharmacy can fill the adderall" so I went back to walmart and picked up the prescription (the actual slip, not the meds) and drove around finding somewhere else to fill it.

Then when I got my concerta prescription I ended up going ahead and filling that too.

No one ever said anything to me about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to icedcoffee For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-11-12)
Old 06-11-12, 01:38 AM
Jr Member

buknoy is on a distinguished road

Even with a statewide database, the only way law enforcement can catch you, and prosecute you, using information from this database, is through a court-order allowing cops access to your protected medical information, because you are protected under HIPPA privacy act.

During my prior employment as a nurse at a local drug/alcohol detox, we always had "fugitive" types, who were "hiding" in our facility to "detox", but in reality they were hiding from people, or law-enforcement, or their dealer, or from $$collectors, etc. We would always have to turn away cops and anyone else without a court-order and simply say, "we cannot give out any information, all we could do is pass messages to this patient and (if they're here) they are free to telephone you."

I think these drug databases are for the DEA to keep their eyes on prescribers, especially doctors who like to write fraudulent scripts for oxycontin, or that hot new drug that's sweeping highschool and college campuses nationwide, adderall. But that database may also exist so that prescribers can check if their patients are breaking their "sole-prescriber contract" and not prescribe to patients who are doctor shopping.

At conrad murrays trial, there were over 30 bottles of controlled meds on the table from 6 or more different prescribers, where each one of them could've been held liable for checking the database before writing scripts.

But if you already are a convicted trafficker, that database can certainly be used against you.
Old 08-24-12, 01:18 PM

KMC1975 is on a distinguished road

My bf just admitted to me lastonth he's been dipping into my adderall. I thought I was going crazy thinking pharmacy miscounted or I took more than I should of which I knew I haven't so before he admitted it to me it was happening quite often. I asked my pcp to fill me a script and she did knowing I had my phychiatrist just filled me one two weeks early. This happened two times. I've just started reading up on dr shopping and I'm so scared to fill my new script even though it's been a month for fear I've been flagged. Worse part is my pcp is at my place of employment I'm a medical assistant. I told her the situation and she said to contact my phychiatrist to call her I haven't done this yet. So scared to fill my script now even though last one I filled was thirty days ago. Should I try and fill it or no? I can't believe this is happening to me I'm a nervous wreck
Old 08-24-12, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,962 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

you wont be able to fill it pharmacies keep records of sch 2 drugs, even if you do in another pharmacy typically you can only refill every 28-30 days (unless your script is changed mid month, and upon returning the unused meds you give the new script), and if you get caught out you may run the risk of losing your scripts altogether....i know from experience of being given the wrong release formula of my ritalin and having to return th script before they give me the correct one 1

i hate to sound mean but maybe this is a lesson learnt not to rip through your script before the month is out...take better care next month
Old 08-24-12, 07:31 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,561 Times in 5,759 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Please do note those of us from different countries or even states with in teh US may be subject to different laws regarding these prescriptions.

If the last script was a 30 day supply and 30 days have passed I don't see any problem getting the current one filled - How ever you need to LOCK up the second script so your boy friend won't screw you out of the chance to have your ADHD treated with medications.

The pcp wants to contact your other doc - this is to ensure double scripting doesn't become a routine. She probably wants to know if this has happened before to see if it is an isolated incident or some thing that has been on-going

- Doubtful your pcp will be writing you another script until she does talk to your psychiatrist and frankly I don't blame her. If you have done this more than once yes it spell problems and could result in legal issues but if it is a one time only ting and their care over laps then I can't see any criminal acts.

In the US adderall is a schedule 2 - typically called a triplicate because of the way the records were tracked - The doc wrote the script and kept a pink copy in a book resembling a receipt book - The doc then gave two copies to you one white and one yellow - The pharmacist took both of them and kept one copy and sent the other to the DEA - Now these prescriptions are tracked by computer programs but the DEA still keeps up with how many scripts each person fills!

Once won;t flag you, heck I had to have a script filled early when my house burned down. I have had a prescription written by another doc when mine was ut of town but these are isolated incidences.

Now the new prescriptions have my last re-fill date on each of my scripts thankfully because that is how they track time passage. Schedule 2 prescriptions are only good for 21 days where I live. -Had it been the date of the prescription write it would have expired - what a pain that would have been!

Double adderall scripts five times maybe you got problems, any more than that and your in deep do-do!

In the mean time I would be considering ditching yonder pill stealing boy friend . . . taking pills that are not legally prescribed is not good taking pills without asking the one to whom they belong is really not good!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 08-24-12 at 07:47 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
BR549 (08-24-12)
Old 08-24-12, 07:59 PM

It was twice it happened. I'm just going to. It fill the script Nd try and live with my ADHD adderall free I'm too scAred to fill any script a month or five months I'm just to scared I can lose my job since my pcp works with me it can surely happen if those incidents catch up to me. As for that scum bag. I
Over out. Ty for your input I really appreciate Kate it
Old 08-24-12, 08:03 PM

[quote=KMC1975;1354029]It was twice it happened. I'm just going to not fill the script Nd try and live with my ADHD adderall free I'm too scAred to fill any script a month or five months I'm just to scared I can lose my job since my pcp works with me it can surely happen if those incidents catch up to me. As for that scum bag. I
Moved out. Ty for your input I really appreciate It./QUOTE]