ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-09-12, 04:22 PM
Jr Member

OwlReally has a spectacular aura aboutOwlReally has a spectacular aura about
Ritalin tolerance? Three questions for the group

Hi all,

I was diagnosed a month ago. My psychiatrist started me at 5mg, with the usual "increase the dose by one pill per dose until you feel normal" spiel. I got up to 20mg/2x a day, feeling successively better with each increase (better as in functional, not speedy or high), but then after about a week at 40mg a day I started having this really anxious, edgy feeling about an hour after I took the dose until it wore off. I tried cutting caffeine, making sure I ate within 30 min of my dose, lots of different stuff. Still this really weird edgy feeling.

Today, I increased my dose to 40mg in one go and I feel good again. (My psych doc gave me permission to adjust my dosage if I started to feel I needed more or less--I'm not just pill popping.)

So three questions: What's a typical upper-end dosage of Ritalin per day? I've heard everything from 80 to 200mg online, but I want to have a range to discuss with my psych doc so it doesn't seem like I'm pill seeking.

Is this anxiety normal? I have problems with anxiety, to the point I was on Ativan before my ADD diagnosis (not since.) Or is Ritalin just not the pill for me? My doc is open to trying me on Adderall if I start having side effects.

Can you build up a tolerance to Ritalin? I was lead to understand that it's not really common, since it's not an amphetamine-derived med and once it's out of your system, it's out of your system.

Thanks for any help. I'll be discussing this with my doc at our next follow up, but it always helps to have good information.
Old 06-11-12, 04:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,178 Times in 914 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin tolerance? Three questions for the group

I take 40 to 60 mg a day as a rule. I am prescribed 20 mg three times a day, but some days i dont take that much. Some days, like when i have had stuff going on all day and then had to work all night, i have taken as much as 100 mg within a 24 hour period spaced about 5 hours apart.

My common dose is 20 mg 2-3 times a day. I think taking 40mg at once might make you edgy especially if you are new to it. I did it once or twice by accident and forgetting i took one already, but it didnt really make me feel any different than one. I was afraid it would make me sick or all spazzed out.

I have been on this med for about 3 1/2 years. I moved from 40 mg/ day to 60 mg/day about a year ago. Some times i take weekends off or if i dont need my last dose of the day will skip it. Im suppose to take it at 8 am, 12 noon, and 4 pm. It is 3:51 now and i have taken one Ritalin today. I do like that it doesnt last long so i can adjust what i need to my schedule. But because they dont last long you have the up-down thing.

If i take less than 20 mg at a time it makes me sleepy but taking more doesnt seem to make it more effective.

Maybe an extended release version would be better for you? I tell you, i tried Vyvanse for a while and i sure did like that. I couldnt feel all the ups and downs of the instant release stuff. But it sure did screw up my sleep.

The only thing i hate about Ritalin is sometimes i can feel myself come up on it and sometimes i feel myself crash. Not always and the name brand is better about it than the generics. The sandoz generic is not bad. The Mallinckrodt and Watson generics were just awful. Another thing i hate about them is i have a friend who likes to get into them so i have to keep them hidden. She is always like, Hey can i have some Ritalin or Adderall? Do you have any Ritalin or Adderall? Ugh its annoying. She likes to pop pills. She was trying to get my Vicodin after i had surgery. Don't be such a pill popper! Jeez! LOL

If i get where 60mg a day doesnt help im going to go back on Vyvanse. To me instant release Ritalin and Adderall feel the same. But i am afraid if i took a higher dose on any kind of regular basis my blood pressure would go through the roof. It is up a little now. I have heard of much higher doses than 60 mg a day, even though that is supposedly the RECOMMENDED max dose. But i dont want to take more than this. It is annoying enough to have to remember to take it three times a day.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 06-12-12, 04:39 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm still finding I'm very edgy after my second dose of the day, so I may talk to my pdoc about switching to something else for a while and see if the side effects lessen. I'm frustrated because the first 3 1/2 weeks were SO great, and now I have these creeping anxiety feelings 2-3 hours after I take the pill. But this is all pretty new to me, and I know it always takes time to find the right medication, so I'm still hopeful.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-12, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all

My doctor said the limit that is safe for Ritalin is 80mg, nothing more in a day.
I take around 20mg in a day for now, but can take more if needed.

Anxiety happens a lot with Ritalin in a lot of people. I sometimes feel it creeping up on me, but I try to ignore it.

Rx= Nothing, yet again.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 06-12-12, 05:33 PM
Contributor

Dmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of light

Here's what you do
Two shots of Robotussin or delsym or stuff (any cough medicine with DXM) before you go to bed every night for a few nights.
Bye bye tolerance!

Oh and I have ADHD.
Old 06-12-12, 06:25 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

How would that stop tolerance?

"The Focalin King"
Old 06-12-12, 06:43 PM
Contributor

Dmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Ritalin tolerance? Three questions for the group

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
How would that stop tolerance?
Long story, buncha big words, drives my dyslexia crazy.

A crude summary-
Like ADD meds utilize dopamine receptors to help you concentrate, but eventually like using a sink, it gets clogged with heavy usage, and the meds become less effective.

Dextromethorphan, Chelated Magnesium, and other stuff are in a category of chemicals called NNSR Or NNRS or NNHY or something (again-dyslexia) that work like that pill that old people use for clogged wind pipes and throats or stuff, only for your dopamine receptors. So they's good as new

Oh and I have ADHD.
Old 06-12-12, 09:48 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Robtussin? Really ?

"The Focalin King"
Old 06-12-12, 10:10 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Robtussin? Really ?
Yes really we've been over this

Oh and I have ADHD.
Old 06-13-12, 02:58 PM

Nice! I guess working with employees all age 67 and older has done a real number on me

"The Focalin King"
Old 06-13-12, 04:29 PM

Thanked 2,178 Times in 914 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard about this Robitussin thing before.

I will have to look this up. I knew you werent supposed to drink orange juice with meds, and that Tums will make them stronger so be careful with Tums.

Seriously, Robitussin? Have you tried this your self?

Does it just make the meds last longer? Or are you able to take a smaller dose of them?

I guess i learn something new every day.

I would try it, not like Robitussin would hurt me, but i dont know if i have any, and most likely ill forget about it by tonight. I dont think i like the taste of Robitussin. Im sure ive had it before. It is that nasty sticky sweet taste. Ick. I remember when i was little they used to give me antibiotic that was a pink liquid and it was supposed to taste good but it was disgusting. You know a medicine that tastes good? Alka Seltzer. I love Alka Seltzer cold medicine. I dont know why! The best kind is the Orange. Then the plain, and then the Cherry. That cherry is just creepy. They should make grape!

Someone told me one time if you chew up your pill it increases the absorption, thereby making it slightly stronger and longer lasting. I tried it and i couldnt tell any difference except it tasted so bad. It was HORRIBLE. It made me gag. Yuck! Ritalin tastes like ****.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 06-13-12, 06:26 PM
Contributor

Smile Re: Ritalin tolerance? Three questions for the group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_Girl View Post
I had never heard about this Robitussin thing before.

I will have to look this up. I knew you werent supposed to drink orange juice with meds, and that Tums will make them stronger so be careful with Tums.

Seriously, Robitussin? Have you tried this your self?

Does it just make the meds last longer? Or are you able to take a smaller dose of them?

I guess i learn something new every day.

I would try it, not like Robitussin would hurt me, but i dont know if i have any, and most likely ill forget about it by tonight. I dont think i like the taste of Robitussin. Im sure ive had it before. It is that nasty sticky sweet taste. Ick. I remember when i was little they used to give me antibiotic that was a pink liquid and it was supposed to taste good but it was disgusting. You know a medicine that tastes good? Alka Seltzer. I love Alka Seltzer cold medicine. I dont know why! The best kind is the Orange. Then the plain, and then the Cherry. That cherry is just creepy. They should make grape!

Someone told me one time if you chew up your pill it increases the absorption, thereby making it slightly stronger and longer lasting. I tried it and i couldnt tell any difference except it tasted so bad. It was HORRIBLE. It made me gag. Yuck! Ritalin tastes like ****.
Well it cleans out your system, yes I've tried it before. If you do it enough it will feel like you never took Ritalin before, but it can't potentiate it further than that.

Yeah chewing pills tastes horrible, it hits you a little harder but lasta a lot shorter

Oh and I have ADHD.
Old 06-13-12, 06:27 PM
Contributor

Also it CLEANS OUT YOUR SYSTEM so don't take it during the day, take it at nighr because its worn.off anyways

Oh and I have ADHD.
Old 06-18-12, 11:59 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably won't try this particular one, since OTC medications can have interactions with psych meds that aren't as well documented/known as interactions between prescription drugs. My doc advised me never to take heavy-duty OTC cold medication when I was on anti-anxiety/depression meds, so I'm leery. I'd prefer to have my doctor try me on something like Adderall and see if that gives me fewer side effects than mess around with potentiating. Much easier!

Also much appreciated on the dosing answer, everyone. I felt it was best to get a general idea here before talking to my doctor so I wouldn't appear to be pill seeking inadvertently.
The Following User Says Thank You to OwlReally For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-26-12)
Old 11-16-12, 01:01 PM

smokaline is on a distinguished road

Hey bud, sorry dxm doesn't work that way it doesn't clean you out or reverse tolerance it will prevent future tolerance and also can potentate but this type of action has not even been proven with ritilan that I know amp for certain and opines and benzos alcohol nicotine so it's possible but I've never heard any success stories but yeah you have to take it every day and it prevents tolerance and potentates many drugs