ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 09-01-12, 05:37 PM

Dja427 is on a distinguished road
Re: Why cant I do basic math in my head?

I also cant to basic math in my head, besides multiplication.
Old 09-01-12, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,097 Times in 793 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

I .... in math
I did my best and still got the worst grade at school.
But it has inproved a little since I started on ritalin ...
I found it out in a shop waiting for a customer to get finish,
standing in a que.
It took ages,and I thought I could allways try to help.
And it was the correct answer
I was like, "whaaat...did I do that !?!"
But I still can`t do it like the others at work!
It goes waaaay to fast ...
doiadhd (09-02-12)
Old 09-01-12, 10:52 PM

Thanked 8,655 Times in 2,690 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Along with my diagnosis of Minimal Brain Damage (MBD), now short for ADHD, in 1972,

I was also diagnosed with a Learning Disability in Math. That was no big surprise to me,

as I'd had a Math tutor from K, thru my Freshman year in college. (There was no spec.

ed. back then).

As for the "reason," ADHD impairs the "Executive Functions." They are considered to be

the equivalent of the brain's "overseer" or control panel, and are believed to play a

"supervisory" role in the regulation of higher order thinking.

Every single DSM symptom of ADHD, is an Executive Function "impairment;" also

referred to as "Executive Dysfunction." All academics requires mastery of the EF's.

For Math in particular, the most important EF is WORKING MEMORY.

WORKING MEMORY is considered to be the "core" deficit for ADHD -Predominantly Inattentive Type (formerly "ADD").

It's defined as the ability to hold information in mind, for use at a later date. Some examples of WM functions include,

doing mental arithmetic in your head, carrying out complex instructions, and completing multi-task activities.

Hope that helps.

u r welcome
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
CheekyMonkey (09-02-12), doiadhd (09-02-12), Electra2 (09-01-12), Spacemaster (09-02-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-12, 10:57 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is a jewel in the roughrickymooston is a jewel in the roughrickymooston is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Does any one suffer from this or what have you done to alleviate it it?I can do basic math,I understand the principles but if you gave me a whats 368 times 469 what do you get I cant do the equation in my head or if I have to add like 5-10 things up I start an it gets lost in the translation.It slike my brain panics or the slate is wiped clean.I probably sound like an imbecile posting this here at my age.
Arithmatic is not math.

I am very good at math but i suck at mental arithmetic. For tye most part, mental arithmatic is useless.

Can you do word problems?

Can you write things down?

Why do you feel doing everything in yiur head is important?

The problem you have with arithmatic is that your memory sucks. Yiu have ADHD right. Write it down and stop trying to do what you are not designed to do.
Electra2 (09-01-12), Fuzzy12 (09-02-12)
Old 09-01-12, 11:03 PM

Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

We had to stand up by our desk at school and answer questions like:

3x3=x
7+7=x
9:9=x

and if the teacher said our name and we didnt remeber the answer (X);
our teacher automaticly assumed we did not study it as homework.
Not that we didnt remember.
I lost allmost everytime.
rickymooston (09-01-12)
Old 09-01-12, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is a jewel in the roughrickymooston is a jewel in the roughrickymooston is a jewel in the rough

[quote=Electra2;1358669]We had to stand up by our desk at school and answer questions like:

3x3=x
7+7=x
9:9=x
/QUOTE]

Some people think mental arithnetic is useful. I dont, although, i did memorize my stuoid tables as a kid. Everybody has to, lol,
Electra2 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 07:11 AM
Jr Member

Black_Rose1809 is on a distinguished road

Same here... but I found out i have dyslexia for math... which is something I didn't know it did exist until my psych doctor told me.
Old 09-02-12, 07:27 AM

Thanked 3,170 Times in 1,796 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
Along with my diagnosis of Minimal Brain Damage (MBD), now short for ADHD, in 1972,

I was also diagnosed with a Learning Disability in Math. That was no big surprise to me,

as I'd had a Math tutor from K, thru my Freshman year in college. (There was no spec.

ed. back then).

As for the "reason," ADHD impairs the "Executive Functions." They are considered to be

the equivalent of the brain's "overseer" or control panel, and are believed to play a

referred to as "Executive Dysfunction." All academics requires mastery of the EF's.

WORKING MEMORY is considered to be the "core" deficit for ADHD -Predominantly Inattentive Type (formerly "ADD").

It's defined as the ability to hold information in mind, for use at a later date. Some examples of WM functions include,

doing mental arithmetic in your head, carrying out complex instructions, and completing multi-task activities.

Hope that helps.

u r welcome
yes that helps,very informative. The working memory has something to do with the lymbic system,as in am auto reflex,of mind,as in,auto pilot,as in it does not take alot of effort because. . . .its remembered automatically?! Another point you had,was,add,as opposed to hd,question really,would an add have less of a working memory,than an hd? Thinking now. . .sometimes i think,realise the difference is,coping mechanisms,as in sometimes,i'll make a scene or do something,not sure on supposedly or not yet,maybe to remember the incident/scenario/occasion/etc. This doesn't have a lot to do with math,but i'm terrible at that,i'm good with percentages though,guesstimation. Decimals don't mean sh to me. Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to doiadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 08:00 AM

I have to learn it all over,since I started programming,
but at this point of time it is so much more fun ...
no pressure or anything,just motivation
Right now I learn stuff that I was supposed to learn in the
7th. grade like variables and such.
I guess I didnt learn much from those years,
just did what I had to do to get it over with,
there was not time to repeat it,to make it stick in the head.
Now that I have plenty of time I use my stubborness and
read it again...and again...and again...and again...and...
doiadhd (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 08:34 AM

Thanked 4,943 Times in 2,338 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Does any one suffer from this or what have you done to alleviate it it?I can do basic math,I understand the principles but if you gave me a whats 368 times 469 what do you get I cant do the equation in my head or if I have to add like 5-10 things up I start an it gets lost in the translation.It slike my brain panics or the slate is wiped clean.I probably sound like an imbecile posting this here at my age.

That is a SERIOUSLY large sum to do in your head.

Maths was one of my best subjects at school- and there were very few people in the state who bettered me- but I would not even dream of trying to do that in my head.

Spiritual Road Trip:
Enlightenment-- "Are we "there" yet?"

In medicine and science, as in life, we are all ‘prisoners of our training' and tend to dismiss things we haven’t learned and/or don’t understand rather than embracing them as opportunities to expand our knowledge.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (09-02-12), Fuzzy12 (09-02-12), mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 08:41 AM

Thanked 4,943 Times in 2,338 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post

ed. back then).

Hope that helps.

u r welcome
A question for you Robert- from a psychoanalytic/kinesiology point of view.

This sort of psychodynamic approach would suggest that if when we started maths in the early years of school, and we failed and were shamed by our teacher, we would develop a subconscious aversion to the 'threatening subject".

IE as soon as we try to do maths we get a big limbic based stress response, we feel horrible, and we give up, and tell ourselves the issue of "maths" is "boring".

What do you think of this model?

[If we were to look at the same model from the "working memory" construct we would see that in this case the "working memory" (a VERY abstract construct) is overloaded by subconscious inputs.]

To me- this seems to be getting closer to the bone- because I value the companionship of my fellow ADDERs because of their emotional sensitivity.

However- sensitivity often plays out as vulnerability.

Spiritual Road Trip:
Enlightenment-- "Are we "there" yet?"

In medicine and science, as in life, we are all ‘prisoners of our training' and tend to dismiss things we haven’t learned and/or don’t understand rather than embracing them as opportunities to expand our knowledge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 11:31 AM

Thanked 8,655 Times in 2,690 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

FIRST ...Barliman....Excellent to see you !!

Now... I'm THE most non - psychodynamic clinician ever

I'm more from the distingiushed "Beavis and Butthead School" of Therapy.

Seriously though, what you posted made sense to me, so why not ?

Try interjecting a nun standing next to you with a pointer, while you're trying

to do the Math in your head, and it takes on a whole new element.

SECOND... As for the previous questions...

What you're going to see in the upcoming (2013) DSM V, is that the dx. of

314.01 ADHD Hyperactive - Impulsive Type will be done away with; largely

because it's so much like Combined Type.

ADHD - PI Type (fomerly "ADD"), is actually a "wastebasket" type of diagnosis,

instead of "pure" ADD;" largely because INATTENTION is ubiquitous to most

psychiatric disorders.

I just read some more research on Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT) in THE

ADHD REPORT, which advances the argument for it being a "separate"

disorder.

So, in answer to the query of WM impairing Combined Type less, technically,

it wouldn't.

However, you have to account for individual strengths and weaknesses.

Hope that helps some.

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (09-02-12), Kunga Dorji (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 12:50 PM
Intergalactic Moderator

Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,493 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I am absolutely terrible at mental math. I can't hold onto a bit of info for five seconds. If I get to step three, I can't remember step two, and therefore can't get to step four.

I just can't hang on to the info.

It's no different than when someone tries to give verbal directions to somewhere. Wait..wait..wait...WHERE do I take that left? I need some paper...

Math in school was horrible. The class would always be moving on to the next new concept in a day or two, when I still didn't understand something we "learned" last week!

It was always like, "Oh, well to solve this problem, you use these three things we learned last week, all together!"

"WHEN did we go over that???"

It's so much pressure, and I never had an easy time asking the teacher for help. When I did, she'd go over it like it was so simple and obvious, and she'd say, "did you understand that?"

I'd be all embarrassed and put on the spot, so I'd say "Uh...yeah I guess so"
Uh, NO, I really didn't get that. I just didn't want to ask over and over again, and it all felt so futile, like I'd never get it anyway.

I can't count how many times I'd sit at my desk so overwhelmed, with tears threatening to spill at any moment.

I would sit at home at the table with my math homework, and I'd just cry like a baby. So many times, I'd cry so hard I couldn't see the paper.

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (09-02-12), Fuzzy12 (09-02-12), mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 03:00 PM

Thanked 12,728 Times in 6,034 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I can do simple arithmetic in my head but nothing that requires more than a single step. Like Spacey said, I just keep forgetting the previous steps or get distracted by other thoughts. I have to write down everything!!

But like someone else has said above, I think in the 21st century, it's not a huge problem. We've been allowed to use calculators in our maths exams since year 10, which totally makes sense to me since maths isn't really about arithmetic.

It can be useful (for example, when you have to check that someone has given you the correct amount of change but then I just trust that people aren't trying to fleece me and I guess, usually they are not. Even if they are, I wouldn't know, so it's fine ).

I wouldn't be able to do a calculation like 368 * 469 in my head either. In fact, I can hardly remember the numbers. I had to scroll down several times because I kept forgetting what you are trying to multiply. . If I had to, I'd probably just round up to 400*500 and then subtract a small random amount. Under pressure, I can't even do that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (09-02-12), mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 04:24 PM

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

For those of you who are unable to do simple math in your head, do you use visualization to help see the problem?

I've been reading a visualization strategy book from Linda Mood Bell, On Cloud 9 Math. It is very interesting and a great way for non-math brains to grasp concepts. I'm not too far into it though.

Has anyone else heard of it? I've used her strategies to teach visualization for reading/listening, but not yet for math.

[0,0]
|)__)
-”-”-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-02-12), mctavish23 (09-03-12)