ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-12, 08:59 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
How did you react to being told you had ADHD?

I'd been told several times. I chose to disregard it. I said it was a load of $hit and that a good kick up the bum was all that was needed.

Then after being told by a child psychologist when dealing with DS I thought I'd check it out. Apparently it was not normal to act without thinking. I was shocked at what I found. It was the story of my life. I then did a lot more research just to make sure (I have a thing about denial).

I sought a second opinion who categorically told me to get a formal diagnosis before I then made the decision to consult a psychiatrist.

I remember being in shock and then terrified at the propect of taking meds even though I knew I needed to because I was not coping with life. I've never ever taken anything illegal so the thought of amphetamines to someone so 'straight' was really hard to get my head around.

I was thinking about this today coz i had my half yearly appt and it's been 12 years now.

I just remember feeling a combination of terror and relief at the same time. Relief that I wasn't a freak after all.

So how did you react and how did you feel?
The Following User Says Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you react to being told you had ADHD?

At first, I was angry, and refused to accept the diagnosis. Especially knowing I would have to be medicated. But, after discussing it with my husband, I was able to accept the diagnosis and be thankful that I finally had a "reason" behind my actions.

Then, I felt relief.
spunkysmum (06-14-12), tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 11:07 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,060 Times in 9,325 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

No one told me. I had to find out on my own.

My reaction was relief at finding an explanation for why I'm constantly stuck in chaos without being able to assert lasting order.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
alan1 (06-26-12), demuregeek (06-14-12), spunkysmum (06-14-12), tudorose (06-14-12), zoekate (06-26-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-12, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,659 Times in 819 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

At first it was relief. At long last I had a REASON to explain away the insanity of my life. But the meds made my heart pound in my chest like I was going to die (literally my heart was beating so hard it looked like a jack hammer trying to break through my chest you could SEE my heart pounding through my shirt. horrifying). Other meds were better but still made my heart race, made my anxiety worse. So then I took anti-anxiety meds. Nothing seemed real and my jaw started shaking like I was in a meat locker in the middle of summer. So after trying 4 different psychotropic medications I said screw it.

Been trying various forms of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but so far not much success. I can't rule it out entirely though because so many times I have to cancel my appointments as I've either spent all my money already (bank account negative) and can't afford to go or I accidentally scheduled an appointment for a time that I'm unavailable. So therapy is erratic.

In some ways I'm glad I got the diagnosis because it's shed some insight into who I am, but in others it's worse now because since nothing has worked I don't know if that's really my problem or not anymore. I guess I still feel stuck and pretty unhappy about my situation 2 or 3 years later

~ Krishnamurti

Attention wandered, I left with it.....

~Helmet

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K-Funk For This Useful Post:
ADDinHDefgHi?! (06-26-12), ana futura (06-14-12), tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 01:26 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I found out first as a 6 year old, but I always just thought I was a "bad kid" and knew I'd never make my parents happy. Fast forward to last summer when I realized I was having terrible issues at work and at home and decided to go back on meds. I had to go back and be re-diagnosed, but it wasn't until January that I really began looking into ADHD.

My first reaction was anger. I was angry at myself, I was angry at life, I was livid at my parents for not knowing, not helping me learn the skills I couldn't function w/o. From there I went into some weird separation of situation and problem into finding solutions. I also still have moments where I get hit again w/ the reality that I have a disability and the full meaning of that sends me into a depressed tail spin. Still working on that one.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-12, 02:44 PM

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,111 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Suprise. I thought only kids could have it. I was going to a counselor and he said has anyone ever suggested you had ADHD? I said, "what when i was little? No, not really, why? My son has it." and he said because he had it too and i seemed real ADHD ish to him. He gave me a little quiz and it said YES. Then i had to go to a psychologist and she asked me a lot of questions. I had to take tests. They sent questionairres about my behavior to my husband and one of my friends, and i had to do one too. Then, she said i had it too. I was kind of suprised. I thought i was just depressed and a space case.

After suprise, then depression and disappointment. I felt like it was just another way that i was crazy, that couldnt be fixed. I already had to live with depression, anxiety, and trust/ self esteem issues. Now i had another thing wrong with my brains.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joker_Girl For This Useful Post:
salleh (06-25-12), tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 03:50 PM

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

I knew before I was told. But I was glad to have it corroborated.
tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 03:56 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,294 Times in 13,277 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it had to be something...just glad it had a name...

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
hjajck (06-15-12), Hyperman87 (06-23-12), speculative (06-15-12), tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 04:04 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
No one told me. I had to find out on my own.
This. I feel like my diagnosis (the one I don't have yet ) is something I've worked for, not something I've been given. I've been the one who's suffered the symptoms and consequences, I'm the one who's done the research as to what they might mean, I'm the one putting together accounts of symptoms and effects and anecdotes from my life to convince doctors that I need to be assessed, I'm the one doing the legwork to find experts for my GP to refer me to, I'm the one trying to convince my family that this is a real thing and that pursuing a diagnosis is something worth paying good money for.

I'm respectful of the MDs and psychologists and researchers and everybody else that has contributed or will contribute to my knowledge, awareness, and potential future diagnosis...but it is a thing that is mine. I'm working for it, and I'm going to be the one that'll end up owning it.

If I could order lab tests, make referrals, and write prescriptions myself, the whole process would probably be over and done with by now.
MX2012 (06-16-12)
Old 06-14-12, 04:32 PM
Contributor

jiffyPOP is a jewel in the roughjiffyPOP is a jewel in the roughjiffyPOP is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
I knew before I was told. But I was glad to have it corroborated.
Same here. I self presented to a GP and felt sense of relief when it was corroborated by the neuro-physh.

[[[[[+++++------Dx ADD-PI------+++++]]]]]
[[[[[+++++------------Dyslexia------------+++++]]]]]
[[[[[Dextroamphetamine ER - Corepharma spansules 10mg x 2]]]]]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jiffyPOP For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-12, 06:36 PM

Thanked 6,237 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
I'd been told several times. I chose to disregard it. I said it was a load of $hit and that a good kick up the bum was all that was needed.

Then after being told by a child psychologist when dealing with DS I thought I'd check it out. Apparently it was not normal to act without thinking. I was shocked at what I found. It was the story of my life. I then did a lot more research just to make sure (I have a thing about denial)
This sounds a lot like my story. My partner told me she thought I had it almost 10 years ago, and I thought that it was a load of crap- a nonsense fake diagnosis for poorly parented children. Then a therapist told me I might have it, and then I looked into it and it sounded a lot like me.

I still question my diagnosis, even though I've been diagnosed by every person I see for treatment. I guess it's because deep down I'm still not sure if I really "believe" in ADHD. I refuse to accept that I have a disorder, the only way I can frame ADHD in a way that works for me is to view it as a neurological condition, like narcolepsy.

I waver between finding relief in the diagnosis, and wishing I was never diagnosed at all. I often want my "pre-ADHD" life back, even though it wasn't working out that well. Since I never thought there was anything wrong with me other than "laziness", knowing that I actually have a "disorder" can be damaging sometimes. I try not to let myself use ADHD as an excuse for bad behavior, but I find myself doing it a lot.

Yes, it's a great relief that I'm not "lazy, stupid, or crazy", but I think I was actually more motivated to change my life prior to diagnosis. I'm stuck in a bit of a rut right now- I finally have the knowledge I needed to put my life in the right path, but the temptation to throw up my hands and "succumb to the ADHD" gets stronger and stronger.

And then there are days where I "forget" I have ADHD, or decide that I don't have it after all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 07:26 PM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

At first I felt afraid, I was petrified! Just kiddin'

It made sense. I did fight with it a bit before truly accepting it, though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-14-12), Pamplemousse (06-16-12), spunkysmum (06-16-12), tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 08:02 PM

Thanked 7,906 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

My mum mentioned it to my psychologist. I was kind of too upset about my severe depression diagnosis for it to make any impact. I just figured it was just one of those things mum brought up out of nowhere.

It took sudden curiosity in learning about ADHD because I knew a boy with it to realise I had it as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-16-12), tudorose (06-14-12)
Old 06-16-12, 03:04 AM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

By the time I was diagnosed, I had long suspected something was up. Just too much chaos in my life, too many difficulties, too many "failures." The diagnosis has really helped me. I am on alert 14/6 for potholes that would derail my minute, my hour, my day, my life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-16-12), tudorose (06-18-12)
Old 06-16-12, 10:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure my response was along the lines of, "Yeah, I know." I always knew that I had attention problems, problems sitting still, impulse control issues, all the classic symptoms of ADHD-C. My family didn't "believe" in things like learning disabilities and ADHD, though, so even though they recognized those symptoms in me, I wasn't diagnosed until college. Pursuing diagnosis of learning disabilities and/or ADHD just wasn't something they wanted for us.

For example, even when my brother was diagnosed by the school psychologist with dyslexia, they pretty much ignored it. In their eyes it didn't matter what the dx was, because the expectations were the same - get A's in your classes, be successful, go to college, etc. And he did all those things, graduated high school with a 4.0, went to college, and is living a great life now. So to them, the diagnosis doesn't mean anything because the results are all that matters. The diagnosis is just a hump you have to get over in the process of achieving those results.

I'm not sour against my family at all for the way they chose to address (or rather, ignore) ADHD my entire life. I know that a lot of people feel bitterly towards their parents for not getting them the help they needed, but I can't fault my family for doing what they thought at the time was best. They weren't being malicious, they were really trying to help us. They believed that by not labeling us and just pushing us to work harder, we would be fine. And mostly, we were, although I'm sure things would have been a lot easier if any of us had received our diagnoses in childhood. (One of my brothers has dyslexia, and my sister is ADHD-PI. My other brother has reading issues but he was never formally diagnosed with anything.)

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider