ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-12, 05:19 AM

mrh235 is on a distinguished road
whats the relationship between ADD/ADHD and a bad memory?

I have ADD and my working memory is horrific, it's almost like it's not there when i dont take my medicine (with my medicine it's actually there and normal or welll as close as it can get). I forget pretty everything, can't organize well, everything feels cluttered and i lose to stuff in my pockets (dont even ask because i dont know), but my friend who has ADHD has a pretty much photographic memory and remembers even the most insignificant details even when he doesnt take his meds. How does this work? Anyone want to explain or tell me how their memory is?
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
Slo-mo a-go-go (07-05-12)
Old 06-15-12, 06:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Asier3d has a spectacular aura aboutAsier3d has a spectacular aura about
Re: whats the relationship between ADD/ADHD and a bad memory?

Iīm like you…but i donīt think that itīs a memory issue, but acting without thinking.

When you get in you house, put the keys anywhere and follow your way, you donīt know where did you put them not because you canīt remember. You never knew it just dropped them when you was thinking in anything else and the get lost on a table, in a coffin… anywhere. But you canīt remember it because you never memorized.

Itīs the same that happens to me when my wife tells me i remember what she told me yesterday. Is i didnīt listen, i canīt remember.

Thatīs a "working memory" issue and fits perfectly with adhd symptoms.

If you friend has trained his memory to actively know what he does "even the most insifnificant details", he maybe learned to do that to compensate the lack of working memory putting in action his long term memory to retain all the details…os maybe he hasnīt that symptom, who knows
The Following User Says Thank You to Asier3d For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-15-12)
Old 06-15-12, 12:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Traveler5 will become famous soon enough

Can someone give me a clear (non-technical) definition of Working Memory and how it relates to ADHD? Examples would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-12, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vector is a jewel in the roughVector is a jewel in the roughVector is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
Can someone give me a clear (non-technical) definition of Working Memory and how it relates to ADHD? Examples would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

Working memory is the cognitive faculty where a few concepts can be placed in parallel (at the same time) from which a inference, a new comprehensive concept can be made.

Working memory and concentration are very closely related.
Old 06-15-12, 02:05 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
Working memory is the ability to keep multiple things in your head at once for short periods of time; also, the ability to "remember to remember" -- to be able to be interrupted in the middle of a task and remember to go back to it once the interruption is dealt with.

A few examples of my working-memory-fail:
  • cooking supper: take ingredients A, B, and C out of and put them on countertop; take ingredient D out of cupboard; start cooking; reach the point in recipe where ingredient C is needed; go looking for ingredient C in fridge; be confused when it's not in there
  • running errands: need to do X (somewhat important), then Y (very important), then Z (somewhat important); do X and Y, focussing on making sure Y gets done absolutely correctly; return home, having completely forgotten about Z
  • sit down at computer to do something; get interrupted by email from a friend; reply to email; completely forget that I'd originally sat down at the computer to do some specific task; read blogs and news since I'm sitting at the computer anyway
  • my favourite one: notice that store I'm in is starting to get v.crowded; look around near my feet to see where my daughter is; panic when I can't find her; realize that I'm carrying her, in fact I just picked her up 30 seconds ago because the store was getting crowded
425runner (07-05-12), alan1 (07-04-12), chiank (06-15-12), clovislorax (07-04-12), Drewbacca (06-15-12), myst1c1 (06-16-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (06-17-12), spunkysmum (07-05-12)
Old 06-15-12, 02:12 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Also, Dr Ari Tuckman has a couple of good podcasts talking about working memory.

http://adultadhdbook.com/uncategoriz...E2%80%99s-ram/
http://adultadhdbook.com/uncategoriz...oving-forward/
alan1 (07-04-12), clovislorax (07-04-12), Drewbacca (06-15-12)
Old 06-15-12, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

blgw99 will become famous soon enough

I have awful working memory, but I have very detailed memories about some past events (to the point that the other people are like WTF are you talking about, but if you say so, yeah..), and about some others, none.
Old 06-15-12, 04:17 PM

musiclvr2675 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asier3d View Post
Iīm like you…but i donīt think that itīs a memory issue, but acting without thinking.

When you get in you house, put the keys anywhere and follow your way, you donīt know where did you put them not because you canīt remember. You never knew it just dropped them when you was thinking in anything else and the get lost on a table, in a coffin… anywhere. But you canīt remember it because you never memorized.

Itīs the same that happens to me when my wife tells me i remember what she told me yesterday. Is i didnīt listen, i canīt remember.

Thatīs a "working memory" issue and fits perfectly with adhd symptoms.

If you friend has trained his memory to actively know what he does "even the most insifnificant details", he maybe learned to do that to compensate the lack of working memory putting in action his long term memory to retain all the details…os maybe he hasnīt that symptom, who knows
Totally agree with this theory. My memory isn't the same as it was but over the years I've developed habits/routines. Like the person above posted, I can remember some of the smallest details from years ago. I remember things by association for the most part. If I were to put my keys somewhere other than the normal place I won't know where I left them. I kinda do a lot of the same things all the time. I feel "out of whack" if I miss or forget a step in my routines and the rest of the day I'm thinking I forgot something but I can't think of what it is. It's usually something really small/simple like forgetting to put something back in it's place or if I don't put my make up on in the right order. It's kinda weird but true. God forbid I do my hair before I put on my make up but seriously it throws me off.
These are tools you develop over years. Some people think you're OCD, "anal", picky, or whatever but routines are necessary for your working memory to work for you. I've been doing the Lumosity brain games and it says I have a good memory but the things I'm made to remember are requested immediately. My memory issues are more delayed like a few minutes later I won't remember. I hope Lumosity develops other memory games, something with steps to follow. I get so frustrated at work when my boss tells me to do something and I forget. I have to repeat what they say and write down key words or forget it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musiclvr2675 For This Useful Post:
James is weird (07-19-12), spunkysmum (07-05-12)
Old 06-15-12, 09:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about

I can't remember telephone numbers or names quickly. It takes me a lot of practice.
But once things are committed to long term memory I generally never forget the smallest details.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir5r1 For This Useful Post:
Slo-mo a-go-go (07-05-12), spunkysmum (07-05-12)
Old 06-15-12, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

chiank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuregeek View Post
Working memory is the ability to keep multiple things in your head at once for short periods of time; also, the ability to "remember to remember" -- to be able to be interrupted in the middle of a task and remember to go back to it once the interruption is dealt with.

A few examples of my working-memory-fail:
  • cooking supper: take ingredients A, B, and C out of and put them on countertop; take ingredient D out of cupboard; start cooking; reach the point in recipe where ingredient C is needed; go looking for ingredient C in fridge; be confused when it's not in there
  • running errands: need to do X (somewhat important), then Y (very important), then Z (somewhat important); do X and Y, focussing on making sure Y gets done absolutely correctly; return home, having completely forgotten about Z
  • sit down at computer to do something; get interrupted by email from a friend; reply to email; completely forget that I'd originally sat down at the computer to do some specific task; read blogs and news since I'm sitting at the computer anyway
  • my favourite one: notice that store I'm in is starting to get v.crowded; look around near my feet to see where my daughter is; panic when I can't find her; realize that I'm carrying her, in fact I just picked her up 30 seconds ago because the store was getting crowded
This explains my working memory problems!!

My Medicines (I am from India, so names of medicines indian)

AXEPTA 18 (ATOMOXETINO HYDROCLORIDE)

FLUNIL 60 (FLUXOETINE)

RIZPLUS (RISPERIDONE AND TRIHEXYPHENIDYL HYDROCLORIDE ORODISPERSIBLE)
The Following User Says Thank You to chiank For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (07-05-12)
Old 06-15-12, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,080 Times in 3,666 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your friend also has Asperger's. Some people just have better memory than others but it's probably not perfect. I get told I'm smart because of all the information I regurgitate related to my interests, but if I put my glasses down in a different spot I'll think I lost them, I'll forget I have my purse, I'll forget that I have a doctor's appointment next week. I'll even forget what the day, month, year it is.

We remember what we tend to be most focused on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-15-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (07-05-12)
Old 06-15-12, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,861 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuregeek View Post
Also, Dr Ari Tuckman has a couple of good podcasts talking about working memory.

http://adultadhdbook.com/uncategoriz...E2%80%99s-ram/
http://adultadhdbook.com/uncategoriz...oving-forward/
Tell me I'm not the only one that thinks he sounds like Mr. Rodgers...
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (07-05-12)
Old 06-17-12, 12:17 AM

ladykrimson has a spectacular aura aboutladykrimson has a spectacular aura about

I have recently discovered that it is not an ADHD memory that is horrible; it is the filing cabinet in our brains. We have no way to index, organize, or prioritize what we remember.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladykrimson For This Useful Post:
Slo-mo a-go-go (06-17-12), spunkysmum (07-05-12)
Old 06-17-12, 02:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,551 Times in 2,418 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

my memory isnt worth jack**** these days. ill remember the most stupid, little, obscure things nobody knows or cares about but i cant remember important things of my own life or things im supposed to do

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-02-12, 11:28 AM
Banned

James is weird is on a distinguished road

That makes So much sense.
But it doesnt put me at ease at all

I have a problem with keeping cash. I lose cash when i hide it somewhere in the house. i end up really frustrated if i cant find it (very often these days).
But whats worse is now im not even sure if im thinking straight, maybe i have my weeks mixed up and maybe the cash doesnt exist :[
but what if it does and ive left it somewhere stupid
i think 500 bucks is missing but im unsure :S :S :S