ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-12, 02:35 PM

competentfake is on a distinguished road
Despite all my rage...

Hallo. Call me Fake. I have two writing styles- Rambling, disconnected thoughts strung together loosely, or the ramblings painstakingly edited into an articulate, well-thought out piece of writing. This post will be of the former, because I have learned that spending hours writing one forum post is not a productive use of my time.

I was diagnosed at age 5. I spent the next 25 years in kind of a haze, moving from job to job, sometimes medicated, sometimes not, but when I was on meds couldn't remember to take them half the time so they weren't effective. I am seriously impaired; memory, self-motivation, impulse control, you name it, and if it's a symptom of ADHD, I have it (don't worry, I am aware that it isn't a contest. :P).

I won't bore you with a long account of those hazy years, or go in-depth into the emotional and psychological damage suffered by my family and I- suffice to say that, for all their good qualities, my mother is an enabler, my father lacks even a shred of empathy (and only recently and hesitatingly has he agreed that it might be possible that ADHD is real), and my sister, who has ADD slightly, was forced into the 'good child' role, so our relationship is rife with friction.

I've been in therapy for more than a year now, and I've dealt with a lot of my issues with my family, so that isn't my focus anymore, and it's not why I'm here.

I feel I should relate some details about my marriage. I was lucky enough to find a woman who loves me for who I am, and who also is possessed of the near-infinite patience required to live in the same house as me. 4 days after we met, we confessed our love, 4 weeks after that we were living together, and 4 months after THAT, we got engaged, and we have now been together for more than 4 years. We fit together. We fill in each others' gaps, almost without exception.

She has fibromyalgia, and if you don't know what that is, then find a handy staircase, and fall down it. When you regain consciousness, you'll know what fibromyalgia feels like, and it may distress you to know that people who have fibromyalgia feel like that all the time, to varying degrees, even though to the outside observer, they look just like everyone else. Some people refuse to believe that fibromyalgia is a real disorder, and insist that the problem is psychological. If you ever meet one of these people, do us all a favor, and throw them down the nearest staircase.

We have a 5-month old son that I take care of during the day. I despise the term 'stay-at-home dad' as much as I loathe its counterpart, the 'working mom', but I've yet to come up with a snappy alternative.

I'm here to hopefully get some advice and support for the issues that remain, but I'll go into that elsewhere. ~F

Meds daily:
60mg Adderall XR (cause that's all the damn insurance company will pay for)
20mg Adderall IR
100mg Strattera
100mg Zoloft
150mg Wellbutrin
The Following User Says Thank You to competentfake For This Useful Post:
Gingerwoman (06-24-12)
Old 06-15-12, 03:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Despite all my rage...

Welcome, it's good to meet you.
Old 06-18-12, 01:38 AM
Contributor

beltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nicebeltoller is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by competentfake View Post
... I have learned that spending hours writing one forum post is not a productive use of my time.
I've found that generally, the amount of time spent writing/editing a post is inversely proportional to the time spent by your intended audience in reading/digesting it.

Quote:

I was lucky enough to find a woman who loves me for who I am, and who also is possessed of the near-infinite patience required to live in the same house as me...We fit together. We fill in each others' gaps, almost without exception.
They're worth their weight in gold, are they not?!?

Quote:

... Some people refuse to believe that fibromyalgia is a real disorder, and insist that the problem is psychological. If you ever meet one of these people, do us all a favor, and throw them down the nearest staircase.
And what do they believe in, dear sir?!? What would they hold up on a pedastal as being the epicentre of that which is worthy of belief and faith? Being a cheer-mom? No doubt.

This is Cincinatti, for god's sake...what matters to people here is where one went to high-school! It seems cartoonishly parochial, but it is the case. I've seen more breadth of opinion in remote Irish fishing villages than I have here. So don't fret over your neighbors opionions, if that is what you're refering to by "Some people". A split down the ranks of doctors and researchers would be another matter...

Quote:

We have a 5-month old son that I take care of during the day. I despise the term 'stay-at-home dad' as much as I loathe its counterpart, the 'working mom', but I've yet to come up with a snappy alternative.
Have ya been targeted for 'exclusion' yet? If you're not keen on my meaning, don't worry it.

Quote:

I'm here to hopefully get some advice and support for the issues that remain, but I'll go into that elsewhere. ~F
Chances are overwhelming that some of us here will go to great lengths to get into the zone with you, afterwhich, we'll never hear from you again.

It can get real enough to be a wee uncomfortable and most, from what I've seen, want solutions that don't disagree with their egos; particularly true of us blokes. But not to worry; most of us rude ones are in the minority.

Anyroads, now that I'm done blowing hot air in your face, I'll say...

"Hi Ope, Nice to meet you!"

P.S. Why is it that you want to be known of as "Fake"? There isn't exactly a positive association with the term. You're not hinting yourself a troll, are you? Its a fair question, under the circumstances.
Old 06-18-12, 02:39 PM

Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,325 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

I love smashing pumpkins
Old 06-18-12, 02:45 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! For a rambling, disconnected thought, I thought it read quite well! (honestly MUCH better than some who spend hours composing... some of us just have the knack for writing)

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-24-12, 11:51 AM
Jr Member

Gingerwoman is on a distinguished road

Great intro! Congrats on the new baby! Too tired right now to say more!
Old 06-24-12, 12:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
I love smashing pumpkins
Welcome.
I love Smashing Pumpkins as well they have gotten me through so much.

Anyone listen to the new album that dropped this week? (hope I'm not derailing the tread apologies if so but the new album is good)