ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-12, 01:30 PM
Jr Member

ggg556 is on a distinguished road
Daily ADD Journal

I came up with this system a few months ago because I noticed that if I was doing well in one area of my life, I would do poorly in another. Almost as if my brain was trying to sabotage me, knowing I could use the bad areas as an excuse. I printed out 30 copies and used this everyday, crossing off points. (very rewarding)

Diet
1 2 3 4 5
(1 point for each good meal, doesn't have to be perfect but a somewhat balanced "adult" meal, 1 point for two or less "treats" all day, sweets or caffeinated drinks for me, and 1 point for 8 or more glasses of water all day)

Exercise
1 2 3 4 5
(5 points for 30-45 minute workout, or 1 point for every 10 minutes of activity)

Sleep
1 2 3 4 5
(2 points for wearing CPAP machine, 1 point for being in bed before 11, 1 point for getting out of bed at a proper time, 1 point for brushing teeth before bed

Meds & Supplements
1 2 3 4 5
(1 point for multi-vitamin, 1 point for fish oil, 1 point adhd med, 1 point anxiety med, 1 point melatonin

I did this for a month, my goal was not perfection but to fill it out every single day. Most days I got all 5's but I didn't beat myself up if it was less than perfect, I just tried to get a 5 in that area the next day.

I need to get back on this system, I was doing it in my head for a week or two after the initial month, but you know how that goes.

Try it out! Substitute your own goals as needed. You can add other areas too, money, work, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggg556 For This Useful Post:
EnergizerJen (06-16-12), MX2012 (06-17-12), Targaryen (06-17-12), tortilaman (06-17-12)
Old 06-16-12, 01:35 PM
Contributor

holmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Daily ADD Journal

I love the idea... But i would probably only do it for a few days. I really suck at things i have to fill out EVERYDAY!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to holmracing For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-17-12)
Old 06-16-12, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,823 Times in 7,605 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad this works for you but for me, it would highlight my failures and not my sucesses.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Shockwaeve (06-17-12), spunkysmum (06-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-12, 06:10 PM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

very cool! kudos!
thanks for sharing,
I have been meaning to implement such a system fro a while bc I need help paying attention to my successes!
Old 06-16-12, 07:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,910 Times in 821 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

Great system, thanks for sharing! When I was a nanny we had something like this for the kids I took care of (not to say it's something only kids can benefit from, clearly these kinds of charts are great for adults too). It was a sticker chart that listed different tasks or behaviors the kids were expected to do or maintain during the day. Some examples were things like "Make bed", "Brush teeth without being asked", "Inside voice", "Pack tomorrow's backpack", "Listening to directions", etc. It was divided up into vertical columns for days, so you could go down the list and put a sticker next to each item that was completed that day.

It was a great visual reminder for the kids of what areas they were excelling in that week, and what things they needed to work on. One week one of the kids might have done a really good job of making their bed in the morning, but had problems remembering to use their inside voice, for example. I liked it because I like stickers and visuals, and this system was both.

The only thing I was ever really concerned about was making sure that the kids saw both the things they were doing right and the things they needed improvement on. It can be easy to focus on the negatives and not acknowledge the positives, so I always tried to emphasize what they were doing well, and then encourage them to think of ways to do better on the "needs improvement" areas next week.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following User Says Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
EnergizerJen (06-16-12)
Old 06-17-12, 05:27 AM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg556 View Post
I came up with this system a few months ago because I noticed that if I was doing well in one area of my life, I would do poorly in another. Almost as if my brain was trying to sabotage me, knowing I could use the bad areas as an excuse. I printed out 30 copies and used this everyday, crossing off points. (very rewarding)

Diet
1 2 3 4 5
(1 point for each good meal, doesn't have to be perfect but a somewhat balanced "adult" meal, 1 point for two or less "treats" all day, sweets or caffeinated drinks for me, and 1 point for 8 or more glasses of water all day)

Exercise
1 2 3 4 5
(5 points for 30-45 minute workout, or 1 point for every 10 minutes of activity)

Sleep
1 2 3 4 5
(2 points for wearing CPAP machine, 1 point for being in bed before 11, 1 point for getting out of bed at a proper time, 1 point for brushing teeth before bed

Meds & Supplements
1 2 3 4 5
(1 point for multi-vitamin, 1 point for fish oil, 1 point adhd med, 1 point anxiety med, 1 point melatonin

I did this for a month, my goal was not perfection but to fill it out every single day. Most days I got all 5's but I didn't beat myself up if it was less than perfect, I just tried to get a 5 in that area the next day.

I need to get back on this system, I was doing it in my head for a week or two after the initial month, but you know how that goes.

Try it out! Substitute your own goals as needed. You can add other areas too, money, work, etc.
If I'm not mistaken, this is kinda similar to the "Seinfeld system" (yes, that Seinfeld). The point really is that every day you do "X" thing, you get a checkbox on your calendar or something. As days go by, you see a string of checkboxes appear, the point is just to not break the chain. This works well for routines and habits, but could be applied to this. I like it, great idea.
Old 06-17-12, 07:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

It wouldn't work for me, I've tried making lists but I usually end up with a drawing or a bunch of random pen markings on a piece of paper.

However I think it's a great idea if it works for you.

It would be great for kids too, especially if they got rewards for getting a lot of points. or not, motivating kids can be difficult with or without ADHD.

I dated a girl who tried to get me into a healthier routine, she was gorgeous and ultimately she couldn't even get me to follow a schedule.

I need to do all the things you have on your list though, I feel so much better when I balance myself out. But then I get bored... I need to grow up!
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
Old 06-17-12, 07:32 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

my most recent attempt at making a list...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (52.3 KB, 4 views)
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDinHDefgHi?! For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 08:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,543 Times in 3,888 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like a good system.

Fortunately, I'm doing ok in those areas. Exercise is actually kind of fun for me.

I think I need to set myself social goals and various challenges like going out into the city, visiting a new town, etc. I seem to be failing in social and environment and don't have a job at all. So much progress needs to be made.
Old 06-17-12, 11:38 AM
Jr Member

ggg556 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like it.

It gets kind of addicting to cross off goals. I do the same thing at work with a yellow notepad. I write down everything I need to do, no matter how big or small, and X them out as I go. I know things are gonna get bad when I quit using my notepad, nothing will get done!
Old 06-17-12, 03:07 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

ggg556, wow, good idea. I will think about your idea and try to adapt it to my life.

I "keep" a diary, NO, I do make entries but maybe it's once or twice a month. But, even those entries have value. So, doing anything on a daily basis is an issue with me. I am lucky if I complete my daily post-it notes for tasks for the day. Managing time is difficult. I have plenty of it right now but still squander it or mismanage it. But, having more time, has helped me in other ways. So, thanks again for the great idea.