ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-12, 06:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

BohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really nice
Hello From Australia

Hi Everyone!

My name is Sarah and I am an Australian 23 year old University student.
Until recently, having ADHD never really even crossed my mind, but a friend of mine who has it has talked to me about having it- they said that I remind them of how they were before they got treated for it.
When I was little I was very quiet and 'imaginative', or as my Mum likes to put it, I was always off in Dream Land, in my own little world. And if I wasn't day dreaming then I would be talking non-stop about how something works or why something is the way it is and asking question after question.
I was always an extremely intelligent child, working above average at minimal effort... I can't remember not be able to read. As I got older, starting around grades 9 and 10, things got a little harder for me and I became a B and C student instead of an A. By the time I was in grade 11 I was failing most of my subjects, except English and Biology- I was still an A student in Biology.
Uni has been no better... I either fail completely or I get a Dinstinction.
I've always wondered what is wrong with me. Why everything seems ten times harder for me than it does for everyone else.
My parents used to get so mad at me (and still get exhausted at me) for all the little things I can't seem to get right... Every morning when it was time to go to school, Mum and I would be in the car and I'd suddenly remember I had forgotten something, only to go back into the house and come out again to ask Mum what it was that I went in to get. I've always been late. Even when I get ready early... suddenly that leaves me heaps of time to do something else and then I am late for what I got ready early for.
I have literally arrived half an hour early for a class, only to sit and have a cigarette.... 20mins left... one more... 10mins left.... one more... oh no two mins to class, better have one more and keep writing down discussion answers... I don't think I have ever been on time for a class.
I was the same at school.
I find it hard to listen to people, and constantly have to ask them what they have said... I have bluff my way through a lot of conversations.
Even now, at this very moment, I am meant to be at the bus stop to catch my bus home... but I under-estimated how long this post would take.
I can't cope with my life being such a disastrous mess of disorganisation and feeling bad about somehow time and time again not being able to do the things I say I will do when I say I will do them.
I have an appointment with a psychiatrist who has a lot of experience with Adult ADHD on the 18th of July, and I cannot wait for it. I'm not nervous, I'm just really anxious for this next month to go by.
I need help, and that's why I decided to join here. I have been reading some of the posts the last few days, and already I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone.
My friend who first mentioned ADHD to me gave a months worth of their medication last year and told me that if it worked I should go to the doctor... it worked and it was the best month of my entire life. I got to uni and did my work without having a break down, I felt proud of myself. My house was clean, I cleared up all of my overdue bills, I got along better with my family and had more time and patience for my friends. I even started eating better and drinking less (not that I drank heaps, but I did drink a fair bit).
For some reason unknown to me, it has taken me six months to finally go to the doctor, even with my friend breathing down my neck and urging me to go because they noticed the difference, too.
I told my Mum this whole story in January and she is completely supportive of my being assessed for ADHD and she agrees that I likely have it, now that she has read about it. She said she wondered why I had my life together and was doing so well only to go back down hill again.
Anyway, sorry for such a long, loooonng introduction!
I hope I haven't bored everyone!

xxBB

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing." -Albert Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to BohoButterfly For This Useful Post:
Gingerwoman (06-24-12)
Old 06-19-12, 08:09 AM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,053 Times in 3,092 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello From Australia

Warm welcome BohoButterfly.
Old 06-19-12, 08:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-12, 08:19 AM

alisno1fan is a jewel in the roughalisno1fan is a jewel in the roughalisno1fan is a jewel in the rough

Hi darl. Thats really interesting. I too am 23 yo chick and have ADHD. I was diagnosed when I was 9.
Old 06-20-12, 09:59 AM

alisno1fan is a jewel in the roughalisno1fan is a jewel in the roughalisno1fan is a jewel in the rough

Oh and I'm in QLD too lol
Old 06-23-12, 03:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

BohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really nice

Thanks for the warm Welcome's!

Wow, another 23 year old Aussie girl with ADHD! How lucky that you were diagnosed so early! I honestly never much thought about girls having it, although at one school I went to I became best friends very quickly with a girl that no one else liked, and who my Auntie (who was an RE teacher at the school) told me not to play with! She had ADD.
I didn't care about what my Auntie said, though, this girl and I were best friends, and while the other girls played Spice Girls, we'd be out the back on the oval playing hide and seek in the long grass, haha.
I can't actually remember her name. But I remember her face, I think.
Anyhoo, I'm babbling! Oh and I just saw that you said you are in QLD, too! Awesome.
Can I ask, who noticed the ADHD when you were 9? My teachers constantly noted my day-dreaming, procrastination, sporadic behaviour and under-achievement, but I don't know if ADHD was ever seriously talked about. I movde around a lot, Mum said teachers had briefly mentioned it in regard to my behaviour, but nothing ever happened.

Sorry for going on!

xxBB

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing." -Albert Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein