ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-24-04, 05:08 AM

Hopeless is on a distinguished road
Adderal, meds, and exercise

OK, so Id like to get back into exercising in the near future. Namely running, biking, and tennis. I used to be athletic many years ago. The thing is that I just started meds for the first time 2 days ago. 10mg a day of Adderall and 150mg a day of Wellbutrin.

I am worried that if I start working out, that the exercise and the meds together will be too much for my heart to handle. I suppose I can wake up early and workout before I take the meds. But the meds are what help me wake up. Also, I prefer working out in the afternoon and evening.

Does anyone here work out on a regular basis or is an athlete, AND take meds?

Hope
Old 11-24-04, 07:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Alexa is on a distinguished road
I take 15 mg Adderall as soon as I wake up then 30 mg XR around lunch. If the weather is nice I walk about 3 miles during my lunch hr. If not, I do my 35-45 min cardio at the gym after work along with 45 min-hr strength training 3-4 times a week. I try to run my 3 miles on the weekends outside if the weather is nice as well. So far I've not been able to tell any difference between taking meds and not in that respect. If you are concerned about your heart being able to 'handle' the meds and exercise I would definately talk to my Dr. first!
Old 11-24-04, 12:25 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
I do an hour of cardio 6 days a week - run/walk on the treadmill, usually 5 miles per day, plus some weights every other day, and I take dexedrine with no problems. I know my heart rate is going to be a bit faster on the dex, but I do keep an eye on it by means of a heart rate monitor. You should talk to your doctor first, just to be on the safe side, but as long as you're not overdoing it, or have problems, like an arrythmia, you should be OK. I asked my Dr about a cardiac stress test, because I was a little worried about this issue (and I'm 40 with high cholesterol) but since I don't have any chest pain or family history of heart disease, he didn't think it necessary. Your doctor might want to do an ECG to check for possible "conduction problems" that could lead to an arrythmia.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-04, 01:04 PM

Hopeless is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys! I just wonder on meds, would exercise make my heart better or worse? Id like to make it healthier. Of course I will wait a few weeks before attempting any sort of exercise until the side effects diminish. And I will definitely ask my doc about it next week. Maybe a different drug other than Adderall would be better for this sort of thing. We'll see, I guess.

Exercise is one of the many things I want to incorporate into my life to improve it. I think it may also diminish some of the mild symptoms of my depression. Any more advice is welcomed!

Hope
Old 11-24-04, 02:26 PM

illini is on a distinguished road
I used to be a hardcore swing dancer 5-6 nights a week for 6 months straight (until I met my wife to be and then it was over), in any case. I would take 10 - 15mg of regular release adderall about 2 hours before I would dance and it made me a remarkably good dancer. I would go for 3-4 hours a night it was great.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about hard arobic excercise and adderall. I worked out really hard when I would dance. Literally I would bring 3 changes of shirts a night because I would totally sweat out each one so bad the ladies just didn't even want to touch me or put their arm on me during the dances.

Best Regards,

Scott
Old 11-24-04, 03:27 PM
Forum Guru

cameron has a spectacular aura aboutcameron has a spectacular aura about
Why would you be worried about your heart? I assume because of weight/age? I don't think any ADD medications that you take would affect your heart when you exercise. Not sure though, since I'm not a Doc.
Old 11-25-04, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
Ohmigod!!! You are taking the exact same pills I am! Maybe we can compare notes?

As for your heart: I did notice that when I first started Adderall, I would reach my ideal heart rate much faster than off it. Over time, that effect has diminished. However, my heart rate never went what would seem to be dangerously high. I'm 25, so ideal HR is 156, and I never got above 180 even doing strenuous cardio on the elliptical machine, which should be safe for anyone without a heart condition, I would think.

If you're doing strenuous cardio, you should naturally be using a HR monitor even without any other heart concerns. Without the heart monitor, it's hard to guage (sp?) the effectiveness of your workout, and if it's too strenuous. The elliptical machines at my gym have them built in, and you can also buy the things at the front desk or even at CVS.

Of course, if you have more reason to be concerned, you should talk to both your GP and whoever prescribed the Adderall.
Old 11-28-04, 07:22 PM

TXRebelGrrrl is on a distinguished road
I'm a personal trainer and exercise junkie. LOL I was first taking Strattera and quickly became unable to exercise at all because of heart rate issues. Once I switched to Adderall I was able to go back to it. I do intense cardio and all I've ever had a problem with is an occasional "fluttery" heart feeling (palpitations) when my heart rate is really, really elevated. I just check my pulse often and make sure I'm not getting up too high. A heart rate monitor really would be a good thing to get and they've really gone down in price recently. I can't use one because I swim but if I could, I sure would. Good luck!
Old 11-29-04, 02:04 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
The one I just purchased on e-bay is waterproof - made by "Polar". The transmitter is sealed and the watch is water resistant to 50m so it's made for swimming. The price was right too - used was slightly less than new and it was in perfect condition! It ended up being less than 1/2 of what I would have paid in Canada for a new unit - but we Canadians often get shafted on electronics - prices are not as competetive for some things, but better for others.
Old 11-29-04, 07:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Do you find the swimming better than other kinds of exercise for ADD? And how do you raise your HR that high while swimming?
Old 11-29-04, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

By the way, for the sake of your friends and family, go to the doctor and get blood pressure taken, cholesterol measured, have an EKG, check percentage of body fat, etc. etc. My father died out of the blue at 56 apparently from a heart attack--without any warning or clear risk factors! At 56, he probably didn't think he was that old.

Take it from me, if you're over 30, you're old, regardless of how much Botox or whatever you take. I mean, worldwide the average lifespan probably isn't more than 60, so middle age could be considered about 20-40.

And getting on the exercise machine for 30 min. a day is definitely much more likely to help your heart than hurt it even if you are old, as long as you don't push yourself too hard. Even if you had high blood pressure, they normally *recommend* (light) exercise.
Old 11-29-04, 11:23 PM

TXRebelGrrrl is on a distinguished road
I've never had any problem getting my HR up while swimming. Any stroke other than freestyle (crawl) is going to be more difficult, though, so if getting up to target range is a problem that might be something to try. I like the swimming over other things like the treadmill or elliptical because it holds my attention. When on the treadmill all I can think about is how much longer I have until I can get off and go do something else. I can tolerate walking or jogging but it has to be outside on a jogging trail or something where I'm actually getting somewhere with things to look at.
Old 11-30-04, 08:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jay Jay is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I take 40mg Strattera in the PM and 20mg Adderall one Hour before I do 60 min. of vigorous exercise each morning. I'm 48 and get to a heart rate of about 148 with no problems so far. In fact, for some reason I found exercising came much easier immediately after I started the ADD meds. I used to be a person who struggled to get in one mile with 20 min. of walking. With the meds, I noticed that after 20 min. I didn't want to stop. Eventually I was up to 80 min. and doing 5 and a half miles - at the end I still usually didn't want to stop. I talked to my doctor - who's an exercise enthusiast - about the heart rate thing, and he told me I didn't need to worry about it. Still, it is a very good idea to check with your doc if you have concerns.
Jay Jay