ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-26-04, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Nausea

Does anyone find that Adderall XR or other adderall causes nausea during the two hours after taking it? How have you dealt with this?

I have been taking Adderall just before eating breakfast.

I am not sure if this is the Adderall or if it's a problem with something else. I took Adderall before without this problem. It's only since I started taking it again after a month break.

The feeling is like I want to throw up, like that gag reflex, but that's it. Not the other usual nauseous feelings.
Old 01-20-05, 12:06 AM

hannahsciocia is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Nausea

You didn't say whether you were taking Adderall alone or with other meds. My Adderall rx had been increased from XR-20mg to XR-40mg (2x20) (recently dx'd, still experimenting with dosage), and I thought that the increase was causing the gag reflex (nerves?), so after about 2+ weeks had ENOUGH of that, took only 1x20 for the rest of the month, then when I saw the dr again explained the symptoms and was reduced to XR-30mg. I still had the gag reflex, though, so after a few weeks started doing research on possible different meds because I'm still foggy/distractible - and found out that Wellbutrin which I am taking as well can also cause anxiety, etc.! The WB dosage had been increased from XL-300mg to XL-450mg at the same time as the Adderall increase. I cut back to 300 and within 4 days the gagging had significantly decreased and within a week it was completely gone. (Going on a tangent...I went on WB150 at initial ADD dx, which did NOTHING even after several weeks - and in my opinion not even now - so I went back and was prescribed Adderall20 and simultaneously upped to WB300. I had about 4 days of good clear focus then slowly sank back into the fog, and am now wondering if for me the buildup of WB had masked the effects of the Adderall.) Anyway, hope that helped.
Old 09-25-09, 06:18 PM

Wildstar73 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and Nausea

Hello. Yes, I've certainly had a similar problem. In my case, it almost always comes from taking the Adderall before I eat. If I take it right after a meal or at least on a non-empty stomach, I rarely get the nausea.

I've always assumed that since Adderall is an appetite suppressant, it wants to make the stomach reject any food eaten after it has taken effect. I don't know if that's true, but that's how I picture it.

I've had nausea for most of the day today, having taken a pill before breakfast, and then before lunch. Not good!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-10, 05:03 AM

lovecutfrompape is on a distinguished road

first of all, i'm just going to say this: i do not know the answer to this inquiry. however, i feel like i am going through the same thing.

you mentioned you took a month break from taking your meds. was this prescribed by your doctor? in my case, i didn't have insurance for a month, therefore, i had no coverage for any medical needs. anyways, i have done minimal research on it. however, i have come across sites saying it is a withdrawal symptom, an overdose symptom, or just a normal side-effect. in any case, i don't feel like it is an overdose, withdrawal, or "normal" side effect. i'm not taking any other medications other than otc's (which i have taken with adderall without this gagging reaction)-which in my book rules out any bad reactions between drugs.

does your gagging seem to be triggered by anything in particular? mine, seems to be completely "random". since we've both taken adderall before, it can't be an allergic reaction (gagging symptom would have been present before). i'm bewildered by this whole gagging business. i don't know why or how, but i feel like the month break and then back on the medication has something to do with this problem.

do you have any other abnormal things that you've noticed after taking the medication? anything at all...? i'm sorry i can't give you an answer to solve this mystery. i will however come back with any answers i receive from my doctor. hopefully we can figure this out!!!
Old 01-15-10, 05:13 AM

jmm35 is on a distinguished road

Is anyone here addicted to adderall?
Old 01-15-10, 06:31 AM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm35 View Post
Is anyone here addicted to adderall?

That's...um..what?

First of all, welcome to ADDF.

Your question might be better in a new thread, or do a search for your question using the "search this forum" option above. It's sort of off-topic in this one, and the OP might not appreciate their thread being sidetracked.

To the OP:

I'm sorry I don't have any real answers for you, I don't really get nausea from adderall. My suggestion is have a small snack before taking it, like some crackers or a piece of string cheese. Then after that, take your meds and wait 20-30 min. Then, eat more, since the small snack was just to pad your stomach and help prevent the addy from making things weird in there.
Old 01-15-10, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough

here is my post to a similar question ... I hope this helps.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77340

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 01-15-10, 01:24 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to all

I take 50mgs usually on an empty stomach with my morning cup of coffee and have never had any problem with nausea.
Old 07-05-12, 05:42 PM

EtruscanMeds is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm writing to you from the future, the year 2012... why do so many of these forums end in 2008/2009? Trend I've been noticing, but maybe the older ones have a better chance of being established on Google, who knows. Anyway, I too suffer from nausea, and I have some solutions that have worked for me.

First, despite some people claiming to take adds on an empty stomach with coffee, I doubt many of us can do that. For me, coffee / caffeine intake before taking the adds or during their effect cause nausea (and confusion). Also, I MUST eat before I take it, especially in the mornings, or practically my whole day is ruined bc of nausea.

Another factor: I said above the nausea is a problem "especially in the mornings." Time of day when I take my adds affect the nausea too. Risk is greatest for me in the morning. On days when I miss my morning dose (and to some extent when I don't miss it), and take the afternoon one, I notice almost no side effects, and only feel the "good" side of adds. Short rule of thumb: longer I wait to take my first add during the day, the less side effects, less nausea, and the better it works.

Two more factors that affect nausea. First, sleep, which I saw mentioned before on the internet. There have been some weeks where the nausea was almost unbearable, even with food and water. I didn't know why. Then in retrospect, I realized that I wasn't sleeping much those weeks. I was taking my adds too late and so what little sleep I got when I finally went to bed was only "half-sleep," you know the kind, where you aren't fully dreaming, but more of day-dreaming (which isn't restful / relaxing at all). So if I don't get a solid 7 hours of sleep I'm at huge risk for nausea the next day.

Finally, hydration affects my adds and nausea. When I take them with only a sip of water, especially in the morning after not drinking enough the day before, the nausea will hit hard. It's best for me if I hydrate BEFORE I take my adds; because doing so after the fact just stalls the nausea but doesn't really eliminate it.

Hope this helps... the year 2012 is a wonderful place, hope you guys made it here in one piece.
Old 10-24-12, 11:57 AM

TexPride74 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Adderall and Nausea

Thanks for this post. I've also noticed very dated posts
I've been having nausea for some time, but have t been able to pinpoint it exactly because its not always consistent.

Appreciate your post. Thanks again.