ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-12, 03:50 AM
-nyr0c-'s Avatar
-nyr0c- -nyr0c- is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States (Kansas)
Posts: 141
Thanks: 113
Thanked 123 Times in 67 Posts
-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough
My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

I think I need to put a "WARNING: NOVEL AHEAD" disclaimer on every single one of my posts...

Ok, so a little bit of brief history on my medications - my ADHD was actually "recognized" my sophomore year of high school when I started getting poor grades in Chemistry. I refused to pay attention in class (bit my fingers, daydreamed, ect.), I couldn't get my tests done on time, and I would barely finish my worksheets. I've always been on the honor role, and my Chemistry grades scared my teacher who contacted my parents who inevitably contacted the doctor for me to talk to. He perscribed Straterra, feeling uncomfortable giving me a stimulant. So I was ok with that, I still didn't really believe I had ADHD anyway.

The Clonidine was perscribed much earlier than the Straterra due to my awful performance anxiety (which sometimes chooses to rear it ugly head, and sometimes doesn't for very similar scenarios like music competions or recitals.) So I have to kind of predict when I'll get performance anxiety and take the Clonidine when I think I need it.

Now here's the current scoop; the same doc that perscribed my previous meds gave me Adderall to try on an "as needed" basis after I told him I had trouble staying awake and concentrating while reading my college text books. I have a follow up with him in a month to let him know how its been going. My appointment with him was this previous Tuesday, and since that appointment I have taken my Adderall on Thursday and Friday.

I chose to use it on Thursday for an American History test that I barely studied for, and I felt I did ok on it. The rest of the day went rather swimmingly, although I forgot my wallet on the way to the testing center (30 mins away from the house) and my car was running on empty. So I had to borrow money from an old boss/friend of mine who lived in the area. So I'm not sure if it improved my concentration, or just my ability to feel motivated. After all, I had been feeling pretty down this past week due to the wonderful horomones of my menstrual cycle, and on Adderall I was having a much better day. I even told my mom I was a little annoyed because it felt like I was constentaly "smiling" that day, and it was hurting my jaw XDD.

Then after watching Sex and the City 2 with her, I had a rather "adult" conversation with her about what my future relationships might look like, and I was surprised because I normally am too afraid to discuss anything romantic with others because I start feeling on the verge of tears whenever I talk about something serious like that. It annoys me to high heaven, because I feel like such a pansy for wanting to cry about things.

The reason behind my taking Adderall on Friday was because the director of music from the college I am attending this fall (KWU), was coming to MY HOUSE so I could audition for a music scholarship. And I was kind of nervous. I almost thought about taking Clonidine, but decided against it. So he came and listened to me play my clarinet and sing, determined I was very talented, and offered me a scholarship of a $2000 minimum. This means I could potentially get more money, which is a good thing because KWU is a private school and I need all the help I can get. I was over the moon happy and excited, told my parents, then played Skyrim on my X-Box for pretty much the rest of the day.

Then I had a major cry-fest with my little sis over sad Disney/Pixar/Studio Ghibli movies, which actually felt pretty good. We hugged each other, sobbed, and laughed at each other and our own pathetic sobbing. Surprisingly, I loved it =p.

So it would seem that the Adderall works pretty well for me. But there are a few issues... I get kinda tired after it "wears off." But then after a little while, I find it hard to get to sleep (like right now, and I'm supposed to going fishing early in the morning with my Dad -.-.) Also, I have tons of History homework that supposed to be due pretty soon, and I have no desire to work on it even with the Adderall in my system.

One other tiny concern is that I am a member on this RPG forum, and ever since my period started earlier this week I have been avoiding the site for no good reason, and I know that all my friends are worried about me on there. But I can't bring myself to log back on, despite taking my Adderall, and I really do want to log in to see them! But for some reason I'm having trouble doing it, and there is nothing weird going on that should be preventing me from doing it; idk why I'm avoiding these tasks. Isn't Adderall supposed to help with that a bit?

My other question is is it normal to feel so "happy/satisfied" on Adderall? I've heard stories of people being happy at first while taking it, then getting kind of sad. I hope that doesn't happen for me. There's not really anything important going on for me tomorrow, so I don't think I'll take it.. even though I want to try and work on my homework and log in to that forum tomorrow. Maybe if I don't take it, I'll feel up to doing those things? I guess I won't know until I try.

Please let me know if what I've been "feeling" is normal for Adderall! Don't be shy, feel free to share, and I'm sorry if this large passage of text intimidates you.
__________________
How much of it's genetics?
How much of it is fate?
How much of it depends on the choices that we make?

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-12, 01:03 PM
BR549's Avatar
BR549 BR549 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lost continent of Atlantis
Posts: 12,352
Thanks: 18,461
Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nyr0c- View Post
I think I need to put a "WARNING: NOVEL AHEAD" disclaimer on every single one of my posts...

Ok, so a little bit of brief history on my medications - my ADHD was actually "recognized" my sophomore year of high school when I started getting poor grades in Chemistry. I refused to pay attention in class (bit my fingers, daydreamed, ect.), I couldn't get my tests done on time, and I would barely finish my worksheets. I've always been on the honor role, and my Chemistry grades scared my teacher who contacted my parents who inevitably contacted the doctor for me to talk to. He perscribed Straterra, feeling uncomfortable giving me a stimulant. So I was ok with that, I still didn't really believe I had ADHD anyway.

The Clonidine was perscribed much earlier than the Straterra due to my awful performance anxiety (which sometimes chooses to rear it ugly head, and sometimes doesn't for very similar scenarios like music competions or recitals.) So I have to kind of predict when I'll get performance anxiety and take the Clonidine when I think I need it.
How did the Strattera work for you?

Quote:
Now here's the current scoop; the same doc that perscribed my previous meds gave me Adderall to try on an "as needed" basis after I told him I had trouble staying awake and concentrating while reading my college text books. I have a follow up with him in a month to let him know how its been going. My appointment with him was this previous Tuesday, and since that appointment I have taken my Adderall on Thursday and Friday.
Did he prescribe it for you to stay awake or to treat your ADHD?

Quote:
I chose to use it on Thursday for an American History test that I barely studied for, and I felt I did ok on it. The rest of the day went rather swimmingly, although I forgot my wallet on the way to the testing center (30 mins away from the house) and my car was running on empty. So I had to borrow money from an old boss/friend of mine who lived in the area. So I'm not sure if it improved my concentration, or just my ability to feel motivated. After all, I had been feeling pretty down this past week due to the wonderful horomones of my menstrual cycle, and on Adderall I was having a much better day. I even told my mom I was a little annoyed because it felt like I was constentaly "smiling" that day, and it was hurting my jaw XDD.
Amphetamines can improve mood for some.

Quote:
Then after watching Sex and the City 2 with her, I had a rather "adult" conversation with her about what my future relationships might look like, and I was surprised because I normally am too afraid to discuss anything romantic with others because I start feeling on the verge of tears whenever I talk about something serious like that. It annoys me to high heaven, because I feel like such a pansy for wanting to cry about things.
I'm the same way about discussing certain topics that I find emotionally charged. Doesn't matter what or who the topic is about either. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily sad, upset, feeling sorry for myself or another, just feeling a lot of emotion.

Again, your mood could have been improved due to the medication. Are you still taking Strattera?

Quote:
The reason behind my taking Adderall on Friday was because the director of music from the college I am attending this fall (KWU), was coming to MY HOUSE so I could audition for a music scholarship. And I was kind of nervous. I almost thought about taking Clonidine, but decided against it. So he came and listened to me play my clarinet and sing, determined I was very talented, and offered me a scholarship of a $2000 minimum. This means I could potentially get more money, which is a good thing because KWU is a private school and I need all the help I can get. I was over the moon happy and excited, told my parents, then played Skyrim on my X-Box for pretty much the rest of the day.
That's wonderful! I hope that you DO get more scholarship money. KWU is a great school!

Quote:
Then I had a major cry-fest with my little sis over sad Disney/Pixar/Studio Ghibli movies, which actually felt pretty good. We hugged each other, sobbed, and laughed at each other and our own pathetic sobbing. Surprisingly, I loved it =p.

So it would seem that the Adderall works pretty well for me. But there are a few issues... I get kinda tired after it "wears off." But then after a little while, I find it hard to get to sleep (like right now, and I'm supposed to going fishing early in the morning with my Dad -.-.) Also, I have tons of History homework that supposed to be due pretty soon, and I have no desire to work on it even with the Adderall in my system.
You can get tired when you crash. Irritability and depressed mood isn't uncommon either. This might go away after you've been on it a bit and it might not.

Just because the therapeutic effects of the medication have worn off doesn't mean that the medication is out of your system.

Adderall won't necessarily motivate you to do what you have to do. I can effectively accomplish things, they just might not be what I *need* to get accomplished. I've learned that I have to start working on what needs to be done. Otherwise I'll remain off track all day.

Quote:
One other tiny concern is that I am a member on this RPG forum, and ever since my period started earlier this week I have been avoiding the site for no good reason, and I know that all my friends are worried about me on there. But I can't bring myself to log back on, despite taking my Adderall, and I really do want to log in to see them! But for some reason I'm having trouble doing it, and there is nothing weird going on that should be preventing me from doing it; idk why I'm avoiding these tasks. Isn't Adderall supposed to help with that a bit?
It could be hormones that are playing a part in your avoidance. Adderall (most likely) won't help with hormones or feelings related to such. See if you don't start feeling like logging in in a few days.

People have reported that certain stimulants cause them to feel or behave differently with regards to socializing, etc. I suppose that you will know if it's the medication or if it's hormonal in a few days.

Quote:
My other question is is it normal to feel so "happy/satisfied" on Adderall? I've heard stories of people being happy at first while taking it, then getting kind of sad. I hope that doesn't happen for me. There's not really anything important going on for me tomorrow, so I don't think I'll take it.. even though I want to try and work on my homework and log in to that forum tomorrow. Maybe if I don't take it, I'll feel up to doing those things? I guess I won't know until I try.

Please let me know if what I've been "feeling" is normal for Adderall! Don't be shy, feel free to share, and I'm sorry if this large passage of text intimidates you.
Yes, you can feel happy/satisfied on a stimulant. However, the way that you feel the first day/week/etc. on a medication isn't necessarily how you will continue to feel. It may not affect you the same as it did when you first started taking it.

You can definitely see if not taking it does make a difference in whether or not you want to login or work on your homework. I suppose that there is a possibility that Adderall could be causing you to feel this way.

Another thing to remember is , when starting off on a stimulant, it's better to take it everyday to see how you will react and what side effects you will experience. I know that Dr. Barkley says this about children starting off on stimulants. I would like to think that it would or could be the same for adults as well. I can't find the book/article where he says this, at the moment. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find it and PM it to you.
__________________
I really didn't say everything I said.
"A.L.W."
"R.T.C."



"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
slowride (07-03-12)
  #3  
Old 06-30-12, 01:30 PM
Drewbacca's Avatar
Drewbacca Drewbacca is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: États-Unis
Posts: 4,231
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 6,776
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

The idea of a mini-crash when the adderall wears off, followed by increased wakefulness is an experience I share. I've seen others on here imply the same thing. I don't know what to make of that, but it's an interesting observation.

I call it a "mini-crash" because the real crash happens when you take it for a week straight and then take a day off. It's not even the first day so much, but the second day off of meds after taking them for a while... is rough.

A happy feeling is expected with adderall, but not with stimulants in general.

Medication helps with focus but not motivation. You may want to consider reading The Now Habit while you begin to unlearn past behaviors that aren't helping you to get work done.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-30-12), itsanADHDthing (07-01-12)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 06-30-12, 04:11 PM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 27,390
Thanks: 5,692
Thanked 31,622 Times in 14,592 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Were you prescribed adderall for adhd or some other reason?
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-12, 10:36 PM
-nyr0c-'s Avatar
-nyr0c- -nyr0c- is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States (Kansas)
Posts: 141
Thanks: 113
Thanked 123 Times in 67 Posts
-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

BR549 - To answer you first question, yes I am still taking my Straterra on a daily basis, though I do need to be more consistent with it. I should have made that clearer, sorry. I took it both days that I was taking the Adderall this week. I have found the Straterra to be really reliable, except when I have to read text books. I wasn't having problems and probably wouldn't have needed the Adderall if I weren't taking a Guided Studies course, where it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY that I read the required material. In the past, I was a bad kid and used mostly my own personal knowledge and maybe a tiny tiny amount of reading (more like skimming) to pass all of my tests. In Chemistry, there weren't any text books for me to use, so I think that's how I did alright with just the Straterra.

Now, whenever I pick up my text books and try to read for more than 30 minutes (text that drolls on and on) I get really antsy, can't focus, then gradually very very bored and tired and I struggle to keep my eyes open. This is what I told my doc and he thought maybe the Adderall would help with that. So I think he gave it to me mainly for the issues with my text books, not necessarily to treat my ADHD as a whole. Straterra does that for me, most of the time ^^.

Good to know about the crashes Adderall can cause and mood changes, I'll keep that in mind when I take it for future references if I feel unexpectedly unhappy. I think I can contribute my not wanting to log on to the RPG to my own moodiness, though, not from the Adderall. I haven't logged on at all today, and I am still reluctant to =/. I know there's no pill for motivation, and I just need to find a way to get things done effectively.

Thank you! I'm hoping I'll have a really good time at KWU, and that I really discover what I want to do for the rest of my life. As for the Barkley article, I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge of things that interest me (like ADHD.) So if you want to (don't feel obligated,) you can send them to me =).

Drewbacca - That's really interesting about the good mood w/Adderall . I just assumed it must be the same for other stimulants as well. I wonder what causes it? I know that while on my Straterra, my mood stays pretty stable, but I have a really significant loss of appetite even though my doc swears up and down that Straterra doesn't cause a loss in appetite. Plus, its a non-stimulant, so it's always been a little bit interesting to me as to how it works.

Mini-crashes, huh? Weird how that seems to be common. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I took Adderall regularly and had a "big crash" like you were talking about... ugh.

Do you know where I might be able to find that book? Getting motivation has always been the bane of my existence, and I know I'd be so much more sucessful if I could just make myself do things. Maybe I'll just look for it the next time I'm at a Barnes and Noble.

Sarah - I think the intention behind my prescription was as something of a study aide, but also with the hope that it could help me focus and keep my mind from wandering during important events (like my audition.) But my doc gave me the Adderall after I told him about my issues with textbooks.
__________________
How much of it's genetics?
How much of it is fate?
How much of it depends on the choices that we make?

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-12, 12:11 AM
itsanADHDthing's Avatar
itsanADHDthing itsanADHDthing is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 626
Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

When I first began taking adderall I was experience SUCH euphoria (happiness, smiling, etc) and when I crashed, it was like being on a period (I described the symptoms of anger and annoyance and frustration and lack of motivation and patience to my mother who said it sounded exactly like a period). The extreme euphoria went away after a week or two but the 'period' crash syndrome continued on for about the next month, thought it got easier and easier to deal with (or it just went away a ton.) The 'euphoria' I experience today is more tolerance and patience with the outside world. Though, If I don't have my nicotine, the adderall doesn't seem to work at all and I am easily irritated. Caffeine also is very synergistic to the effects of adderall now-a-days.

Anyways. Motivation to do important things (school work, clean, organize, help around the house) continued for the longest time. I still have it *somewhat* today, but it is more of an organizer in my brain to set my priorities straight. I can opt to follow such priorities (which I usually do) or ignore them (though I do feel a sense of guilt and need to do them, anyways).

When I am not on adderall, my priorities I actually must think about, and when I do, I must focus and really try hard not to just go plop my self on the couch and pig out and do nothing.

Things that I know that are not priorities, such as the mmo website you were referring to, were usually ignored when I was taking my adderall. Unmedicated, I would surely be on such a site.

Anyways, talk to your doctor about going on adderall permanently. Tell him how it is really helping you to organize your life and get you headed in the direction you need to be going in order to live a successful and happy life.
__________________
This is not a link.

We may not be able to find our way out of a paper bag, but we can design nuclear sunglasses.

Everything can be a gift, depending on how you look at it.

You don't like me? That's funny, because I don't live to please you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-12, 05:03 PM
Drewbacca's Avatar
Drewbacca Drewbacca is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: États-Unis
Posts: 4,231
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 6,776
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nyr0c- View Post
Drewbacca - That's really interesting about the good mood w/Adderall. I just assumed it must be the same for other stimulants as well. I wonder what causes it? I know that while on my Straterra, my mood stays pretty stable, but I have a really significant loss of appetite even though my doc swears up and down that Straterra doesn't cause a loss in appetite. Plus, its a non-stimulant, so it's always been a little bit interesting to me as to how it works.

Mini-crashes, huh? Weird how that seems to be common. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I took Adderall regularly and had a "big crash" like you were talking about... ugh.

Do you know where I might be able to find that book? Getting motivation has always been the bane of my existence, and I know I'd be so much more sucessful if I could just make myself do things. Maybe I'll just look for it the next time I'm at a Barnes and Noble.
I should have included a link with my statement, but I was too tired to dig one up at the time. Here's a reference for the increased dopamine release due to the use of mixed amphetamine salts used in Adderall. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17031708
I'm not sure if this effect is lasting, individual testimony from patients taking Adderall frequently report of a euphoric response during the first week or so which fades away. I experienced the same but I don't notice any significant increase of happiness now. It's possible I just don't notice anymore or its possible that the effect fades with time. I don't know that any studies have been performed to look at this over a long duration of use. In fact, long term adderall studies are few and far between.

Regarding your decreased appetite on Straterra, it could all be in your head.
However, your doctor is wrong to imply that it isn't possible. Perhaps he should review the literature before stating his opinion as fact? Print the following article and show it to him, maybe even demand an apology if you are feeling feisty!
If you search this, you'll find the word "appetite" eight times:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa...411s035lbl.pdf

As for the mini crash, that's just the medication starting to wear off... it isn't entirely out of the system but it is below therapeutic levels at that point. I have no idea why many of us seem to have a second period of wakefulness after it wears off. I'm trying to adjust my schedule so that I go to bed as soon as I crash (and hopefully sleep through the night).

Regarding the bio-mechanism i.e. how it works of straterra, this may be useful to you http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/con...ll/2002/1204/3 or just read the wiki page on atomoxetine (the generic name). The key to finding google info is to know the sciencey names. You'll find more info by including the generic names then the brand names. You'll find good info including the words pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in your search.

The "big crash" is one you have to prepare for. It's caused by the total absense of the drug in your system. Technically, it is referred to as acute withdrawal. At the low doses of amphetamines that we take, it shouldn't be problematic. You just need to be prepared for a day of rest and low energy. I can still go out on my bike or for a long walk or an hour at the gym on these days but it's much harder to muster the motivation to do so. I imagine that there is a lot of variation in this from person to person, so you just have to experiment and see what happens. I personally believe that the pros of taking drug holidays for the sake of rest and maintaining tolerance levels, outweigh the cons. I'm getting off topic, but this may be helpful:
http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/519331

You should be able to find the Now Habit at any major book store. You may also want to check out the Power of Habit which is a recent publication (not self help, but good food for thought).
Search for either on google and you can find radio interviews with the author to get a better idea of what the books cover.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
-nyr0c- (07-03-12), BR549 (07-03-12)
  #8  
Old 07-01-12, 05:11 PM
Drewbacca's Avatar
Drewbacca Drewbacca is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: États-Unis
Posts: 4,231
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 6,776
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nyr0c- View Post

Now, whenever I pick up my text books and try to read for more than 30 minutes (text that drolls on and on) I get really antsy, can't focus, then gradually very very bored and tired and I struggle to keep my eyes open.
Have you tried active note taking? Break down the chapter into an outline and take notes while reading. Keep yourself engaged.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
BR549 (07-03-12)
  #9  
Old 07-01-12, 05:13 PM
starrykitten starrykitten is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 201
Thanks: 63
Thanked 143 Times in 73 Posts
starrykitten will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

I've switched from Adderall to Strattera for at least a little while. My first few days on Adderall were pretty great aside from the crashes. I felt like I could finally tune out all the radio static that's always in my head. But after a few days, I just started feeling incredibly fatigued and achy and apathetic on the Adderall. So while I think it's worth telling your doctor how much it helped you (and also talking about the crash and seeing if s/he can help lessen that impact), I also think it's important to give a med more than a few days. Keep us posted!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-12, 04:22 AM
slowride slowride is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 17
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
slowride will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

You're new to Adderall, and you're a student which is where I started out... and I identify with that. Let me give you one basic rule that I want you to remember. If you're taking Adderall in any form (IR or extended release XR), in terms of focus-- it WILL help you focus on an objective if you are focused on THAT objective. However, it's up to you to actually make sure that the focus it "gives" you is not misdirected. Without discipline, a person could very well take their Adderall and then scope out Facebook for the next 5 hours. Don't do that. It won't make you smarter, it will just make your focus sharper. It will only help you drown out distractions-- but it's up to you to minimize them.

For example, you took a test for which you barely studied. Next time try to set aside some time to actually study while you're trying out your medication and see how you feel afterwards. I would bet money that you not only will have done better on the test, but that you will feel rewarded as well.

With regard to the crashing -- this is normal. Mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall) wear off and thus the crashing feeling.

With regard to you not wanting to sign on to your RPG forum-- I don't know, I've never experienced anti-social side effects other than increased irritability.

If you want more specific advice, pm me. Good luck and positive vibes your way!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-12, 10:09 PM
-nyr0c-'s Avatar
-nyr0c- -nyr0c- is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States (Kansas)
Posts: 141
Thanks: 113
Thanked 123 Times in 67 Posts
-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Drewbacca - Hey thanks! Lots of good material for me to read ^^. I appreciate all this knowledge. As for the note taking, yes, that has helped me in the past, especially in history classes. Our high school teacher had us do outlines, and that kind of forced me to organize the text in a way that made it easier to skim through without taking hours and hours to read, but I always kind of found it a pain =/. Idk, though, maybe the pain is worth it. Could help me actually stay awake for a full study session.

Starrykitten - I will definetly try to keep you up to date; I just took it again today in hopes I would actually study, but... no luck.

Slowride- Yes. This issue is so huge for me. I have asked dozens and dozens of people as to how I can just eliminate my distractions and be motivated to do what I really NEED to do. It's so frustrating because they all say that the motivation comes from within me, which makes me so mad because I know they are right -.-.

The only time it seems like I have motivation to do things that are actually important is when it is the last minute, and I know I do this because it makes it "exciting." Ugh. If I could study/practice instruments/get things freaking done, then I might get better grades/be more talented/not feel quite so stressed out about stuff. Setting aside time should work for me, but when I tell myself "Tomorrow, you will study for at least 30 minutes," nothing happens. Maybe I need to set an actual time, say like 6:00. Grr... why couldn't things just be more straightforward? I wish that when I had "nothing to do" I could just say "HEY YOU! STUDY IF YOUR SO DAMN BORED." But then I am all like, "Nope, too tired. Besides, I don't need to study. It's boring, and I can look up stuff at the last minute."

Grr. -faceplam- Oh, and I still haven't logged back onto the forum... don't think I will, which is frustrating. >=( Thanks for the encouragement, though.
__________________
How much of it's genetics?
How much of it is fate?
How much of it depends on the choices that we make?

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -nyr0c- For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (07-04-12)
  #12  
Old 07-03-12, 11:34 PM
slowride slowride is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 17
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
slowride will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nyr0c- View Post
Drewbacca - Hey thanks! Lots of good material for me to read ^^. I appreciate all this knowledge. As for the note taking, yes, that has helped me in the past, especially in history classes. Our high school teacher had us do outlines, and that kind of forced me to organize the text in a way that made it easier to skim through without taking hours and hours to read, but I always kind of found it a pain =/. Idk, though, maybe the pain is worth it. Could help me actually stay awake for a full study session.

Starrykitten - I will definetly try to keep you up to date; I just took it again today in hopes I would actually study, but... no luck.

Slowride- Yes. This issue is so huge for me. I have asked dozens and dozens of people as to how I can just eliminate my distractions and be motivated to do what I really NEED to do. It's so frustrating because they all say that the motivation comes from within me, which makes me so mad because I know they are right -.-.

The only time it seems like I have motivation to do things that are actually important is when it is the last minute, and I know I do this because it makes it "exciting." Ugh. If I could study/practice instruments/get things freaking done, then I might get better grades/be more talented/not feel quite so stressed out about stuff. Setting aside time should work for me, but when I tell myself "Tomorrow, you will study for at least 30 minutes," nothing happens. Maybe I need to set an actual time, say like 6:00. Grr... why couldn't things just be more straightforward? I wish that when I had "nothing to do" I could just say "HEY YOU! STUDY IF YOUR SO DAMN BORED." But then I am all like, "Nope, too tired. Besides, I don't need to study. It's boring, and I can look up stuff at the last minute."

Grr. -faceplam- Oh, and I still haven't logged back onto the forum... don't think I will, which is frustrating. >=( Thanks for the encouragement, though.
Please do not take offense to this, but are you being honest with yourself? It seems like you're having a hard time getting going with studying. You have to take the leap off the diving board before you can start swimming. When I was in college, I admitted to myself that I knew if I stayed in my apartment with my computer, acoustic guitar, roommates, girlfriend, that I would not get anything done, even with my medication. I would say to myself, just this one time I'll go do something else and I'll get to work on studying or completing an assignment tomorrow. Finally I told myself, "Yes this sucks, but I need to do what I need to do... stop avoiding what you know you SHOULD be doing." I was one of those people that hid from their obligations. That wasn't probably attributable to my ADD, that was me consciously avoiding things that needed to be done and opting to do more fun things. The bottom line is that the Adderall is not going to help you in your studies if you're avoiding them.

Like I said, do not take offense! I'm just trying to be helpful. You're not me, and I'm not you, but you sound like you're procrastinating/diverting your attention the way I would sometimes in school. What really, really helped me in school was to go to a remote part of the library and turn my phone off. I'd take my meds and go to the library and intentionally not bring a computer unless the assignment absolutely required it. The internet is like heroin for people who are prone to distraction (me = worst offender). When I would avoid temptations such as friends, my phone and the internet, I could get a hell of a lot more done in school. Again, that's just what worked for me. Don't be offended, as I'm not trying to criticize you. You seem very bright. Just revamp your study habits and you're going to do great! PM me if you want some other little things I did to help in HS/College/and beyond. Stay positive.
__________________
"Such is the passage of time, too fast to fold
And suddenly swallowed by signs, low and behold

Gonna' rise up and find my direction magnetically
Gonna' rise up, throw down my ace in the hole"

-Eddie Vedder
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-12, 12:26 PM
-nyr0c-'s Avatar
-nyr0c- -nyr0c- is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States (Kansas)
Posts: 141
Thanks: 113
Thanked 123 Times in 67 Posts
-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

Slowride - I absolutely do not take offense to anything you said. I agree that only I have control over choosing what to do, and I know that my medication won't make me WANT to do things. I think it'd be kind of scary if it made me want to do that. I have to have some willpower in order to do the things I need to do, and I know medicine won't stop me from procrastinating. It helps to focus me, and keeps my mind on track.

Actually, before I even read your advice on finding a quiet place to study, I decided to try something like that. When I go to take my tests, I hang out in the library next to the testing center, read, and work on my homework on my laptop. I can't get Internet access on my laptop in the library, which is nice because it isn't just a click away to distract me.

I plug in my earphones, pull up ITunes, and just do a bunch of work at my slow, steady pace. I think I dislike studying because it takes me forever just to read one chapter in most of my text books, even if the material is easy to read or somewhat interesting. Why can't I read my textbooks the way I read a good fictional book that I like? Maybe it's because textbooks weren't intended to entertain, but to teach. I think my study time would go even better if I didn't have my phone with me, but I have to have that. Unfortunately, it does get Internet access, and I know I could switch it off, but I think I'd just end up turning it back on again. Maybe I should hide my phone from myself; it would be nice to have someone I could hand it into so I don't even have access to it.

I'm excited that I won't be able to take my X-Box with me to college, because I think I'll be able to get more done. I'm not blaming electronics for my distraction, but I know it will improve my concentration if they are out of sight, out of mind. That's how it is with me and snacks. If there are snacks and junk food in my house, I will eat them. If there aren't, I won't. If I want a treat, I will go get a small, one-time one, like a milkshake or a snow cone. I don't need that stuff, it should only be a once in a while thing. If I could work out that kind of system with my Internet or games (like say I can only access the Internet in a certain place or I have to go to a game lounge o play games,) I would definetly get more done, I think.

Anyway, I'm still taking the Adderall... My mom got a little worried one night after i took it because I was kind of flushed, really tired, but couldn't go to bed. I've also had some kind of weird headaches while on the meds; my head isn't actually hurting, it feels like my jaw is clenching involuntarily and my jaw gets really sore toward the end of the day, and the pain is similar of that of a headache. It kinda takes up my whole head, but it's mostly jaw pain. I told her that one night I felt kind of wound up, so she decided to take my blood pressure. My mom is a nurse practiconer who works for my doctor, so I didn't question her. After she took it, she said my blood pressure was fine, which I guess is a good thing.

My mom is also worried about my loss of appetite with the meds, but really I don't think it's any worse than my loss of appetite on Straterra. I have lost Weight, and everyone seems to want to comment how skinny I'm getting =/. Weird, I'm not taking it to lose weight, but I guess I can't complain about it. Mom said she will take me off my meds of she finds out I'm not eating, but I don't think that'll be a problem. I manage to get in at least 1 meal when I'm taking my medicine. After the night when she took my blood pressure, she told me she wanted me to try taking the Adderall in halves. She cut some of my pills, and I tried two days of it. It was okay, but I just didn't think it worked as well as the whole pill. So I am continuing to take them as wholes.

My next appointment with my doc is in a few weeks, so I'll have to follow up on the meds. I think they work alright for me, but I don't like the weird jaw headaches I've been getting, or feeling super restless (but really tired,) at bedtime. I would like to talk to him about my issues with anxiety, but it's a kind of touchy thing for me to discuss verbally. So I don't know if I will, I might just try and cope with those issues on my own. I have days where I'm fine and satisfied, but usually nothing more than that, then I have days where I feel awful, super pessimistic, and just sad to the point where I could lie in my room for hours to cry over things that don't really matter, like how trivial I feel sometimes. But I think it's something I can manage on my own, although it would be nice if I didn't feel so pointless and lost sometimes.

There. That's the latest. Now I'm off to take a test ^^
__________________
How much of it's genetics?
How much of it is fate?
How much of it depends on the choices that we make?

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-12, 12:53 PM
Irishrose79 Irishrose79 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville,NC
Posts: 36
Thanks: 15
Thanked 66 Times in 25 Posts
Irishrose79 is a jewel in the roughIrishrose79 is a jewel in the roughIrishrose79 is a jewel in the rough
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

I had the same problems with jaw clenching and smiling. For me, they persisted beyond the first week I took the adderall and went away when I lowered my dose.

One of the hardest things to adjust to when I first started Adderall was that, as long as the meds were in my system, I couldn't tell when I was physically tired. By that I mean, even if I only slept two hours the night before, I wasn't drowsy or nodding off. I might not feel as sharp, but I wasn't sleepy. It took me a while to realize that me + adderall + not enough sleep= Emotional meltdown waiting to happen. Seriously, I get super sentimental, I cry at the drop of a hat, I lose my temper easily, etc. I know that means I need to get more sleep.

Given that my period already makes me feel emotional, drained and exhausted anyway, it's me + period + adderall + not enough sleep= Thermonuclear emotional meltdown, guarenteed. I just try really hard to make sure that this combination never occurs and if it does, to stay the hell away from everyone.

Also remember, "Pills aren't skills". You've gotten some great advice here about how to use the medication to help you change your behaviors.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-12, 02:45 PM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 27,390
Thanks: 5,692
Thanked 31,622 Times in 14,592 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Two Days w/Adderall - Input?

This is just my and my doctors opinion but....adhd symptoms are with you 24/7 right? They are present everyday no matter what you are doing. If they werent then you wouldnt actually have adhd. Adhd is not a school related disorder, its a life altering chronic condition that affects everything,. With that in mind why wouldnt you take adhd meds everyday? If they work then I say use them. For me, they help me with focus and motivation but I honestly wouldnt drive well, grocery shop, breath, sleep anything without them. My kids would suffer. Some doctors say as needed and my doctor does not.My doctor says that adhd is always there so if there is a medication that helps with the symptoms then you should take it. YMMV though.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attention and medication impairing days... Shizam! General ADD Talk 1 06-20-11 11:36 AM
Dark, dark days LordranBound General ADD Talk 13 06-10-11 07:10 AM
Good Days Bad Days neuronik Inattentive ADD 6 01-02-11 12:44 AM
good days/bad days cycle wane Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD 1 12-26-10 09:51 AM
Our Days jimmmaaa Poetry 0 07-04-03 11:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums