ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 11-29-04, 03:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

I'm taking a break from studying right now! I had a chat with a prof about studying. He told me the way I studied was completely wrong!
So, I thought I'd pass on his wisdom. By the way, it works (for me)!

I used to read, take notes, make flash cards and try to understand and/or memorize.
Now, I read carefully (and understand what I'm reading), then, I go back and make flash cards. My prof gives practice tests, so then I take the practice test and what I got wrong I study more.
His "secret" to me was - understand the information so you could teach it to someone (if you had to). LOL - so, I talk to myself a lot more lately!!
Studying this way has cut down my studying time!
I wish I knew this when I was in undergrad. . . . .

What studying methods are best for you?

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
addmom35 (09-28-10), adhdmom123 (07-20-08), audiophilekate (10-12-13), auntchris (03-21-09), Beaver (03-17-11), cantakeitnemore (08-22-10), Cheramie (06-03-09), ChooseJoy (02-18-17), cwatca (01-14-10), doiadhd (06-25-09), drb10080 (11-10-11), eminorsoul (08-06-09), golferguy (08-14-10), indy (03-31-09), InvitroCanibal (06-28-13), Jaydah (02-12-14), Kara593 (05-11-11), Khyliene (11-08-14), LauraRomans (09-29-13), lilnana (07-04-11), lockedmyselfout (05-11-09), loveydovey25 (03-19-11), ltworf (09-02-12), mandy_becca_06 (04-27-11), meridian (02-09-10), mh2u98 (10-04-16), MichelleHB (11-16-13), Michiko74 (03-02-09), miscanimal (08-21-12), MMetelli13 (06-27-11), Mulee123 (06-27-14), Mutant Gene (03-10-10), nicoler (03-23-15), Nytol1 (01-01-12), Ramos26 (02-13-13), rcking (02-22-12), RuaRidgeback (05-26-12), Writing blunder (03-21-10)
Old 11-29-04, 11:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Alex is on a distinguished road
Like you said, understanding the base principles does a lot more for me than remembering tiny details. I'm better off knowing, for instance, the system by which a language pluralizes certain terms, and noting similarities between the different types if there are any, than trying to memorize how to pluralize any single term. Same thing with conjugating verbs; learn the general rule, and apply it to whatever you're presented with.

Of course, I also have a photographic memory (albeit coupled with a horrible mental filing system which is likely due to my ADD), so I get by on quite a bit like that; I'm convinced it's the only reason I got to highschool as easily as I did. It used to freak teachers out when I'd write the answers as written in the book, when they'd watch me and were absolutely certain there was no way I was cheating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex For This Useful Post:
Tommy Wilhelm (11-30-10)
Old 11-29-04, 12:20 PM

Draga has disabled reputation
Talking

What about making your own self test....while righting one up u also reading up an absorbing info...I used to make a lil fun of it and make it multiple choice with goofy answers...so easy to tell the right one...but heh...It worked

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draga For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (06-25-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-04, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
Not so sure I agree with your professor saying your way is "wrong." Everyone tends to learn either by hearing/seeing, doing, or a combination of these two. Yeah, there are fancy words for this, but I'll spare you (ha ha). Many of us learned from teachers who only said, "tell me again what i already told you." Then, when we got to college, we got a huge awakening (usually with our first very low mid term exams)...the professors didn't want us to just tell them what a concept was, they wanted us to be able to take the concept (already learned) and apply it to a completely different scenario. For me, I did several things to adapt. I made sure I came to class prepared--reading done, etc. I got permission in advance to audio record the lectures, when possible. This took the pressure off for me because I no longer had to stress about writing every single thing said that MIGHT be important. Then I actually relaxed enough to listen to what was being said. In my head, I visualized what was being said with where I recalled seeing that information in the text. Later, I found ways to pull those things together, listening to the audio when necessary, and began to think of other ways to use those theories in different situations. If it was a class where we were encouraged to participate/ask questions, I made a point of writing my questions down first, to make sure they couldn't already be easily answered by myself. I also spent more time concentrating on what other people were asking/discussing about the material, instead of just on waiting til it was my turn to contribute, often missing the rest of the discussion entirely. If there were study groups available, I got involved in them. I utilized all practice tests. I sought out people who took the course before me, to get a feel for what the professor's paper and/or exam expectations would be. The overwhelming volume of reading that happens? I took each assignment and divided the amount of pages by the amount of time I realistically had for completion before I had to write a response, etc. This told me how many pages per day I had to get through, so I wasn't cramming it all in at the last minute. Keep at it...take it one course at a time. If you qualify for additional test time in a less distracting environment, consider taking it...it can alleviate a great deal of the anxiety over length of time you have to complete each answer. I went all thru secondary school and my first degree program without a diagnosis. I was 28 and in the middle of my second degree program when I was diagnosed with adhd. My scores post diagnosis (with concerta and some modifications) show drastic improvement in my overall gpa. I wish you well!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ms_sunshine For This Useful Post:
ChooseJoy (02-18-17), dellafalls (08-04-11), eloradanon (11-25-13), Lizzie80 (10-13-14), MichelleHB (11-16-13), Pelekus (05-05-11), Ramos26 (02-13-13)
Old 12-07-04, 09:34 PM

RUBICONCOWBOY is on a distinguished road
Talking This WAY sounds do-able to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_sunshine
Not so sure I agree with your professor saying your way is "wrong." Everyone tends to learn either by hearing/seeing, doing, or a combination of these two. Yeah, there are fancy words for this, but I'll spare you (ha ha). Many of us learned from teachers who only said, "tell me again what i already told you." Then, when we got to college, we got a huge awakening (usually with our first very low mid term exams)...the professors didn't want us to just tell them what a concept was, they wanted us to be able to take the concept (already learned) and apply it to a completely different scenario. For me, I did several things to adapt. I made sure I came to class prepared--reading done, etc. I got permission in advance to audio record the lectures, when possible. This took the pressure off for me because I no longer had to stress about writing every single thing said that MIGHT be important. Then I actually relaxed enough to listen to what was being said. In my head, I visualized what was being said with where I recalled seeing that information in the text. Later, I found ways to pull those things together, listening to the audio when necessary, and began to think of other ways to use those theories in different situations. If it was a class where we were encouraged to participate/ask questions, I made a point of writing my questions down first, to make sure they couldn't already be easily answered by myself. I also spent more time concentrating on what other people were asking/discussing about the material, instead of just on waiting til it was my turn to contribute, often missing the rest of the discussion entirely. If there were study groups available, I got involved in them. I utilized all practice tests. I sought out people who took the course before me, to get a feel for what the professor's paper and/or exam expectations would be. The overwhelming volume of reading that happens? I took each assignment and divided the amount of pages by the amount of time I realistically had for completion before I had to write a response, etc. This told me how many pages per day I had to get through, so I wasn't cramming it all in at the last minute. Keep at it...take it one course at a time. If you qualify for additional test time in a less distracting environment, consider taking it...it can alleviate a great deal of the anxiety over length of time you have to complete each answer. I went all thru secondary school and my first degree program without a diagnosis. I was 28 and in the middle of my second degree program when I was diagnosed with adhd. My scores post diagnosis (with concerta and some modifications) show drastic improvement in my overall gpa. I wish you well!

Just my .02

But this way sounds like it would work with me,,,,,,,also

the way I study for college as of now is:

1.I find a quit place to Read + re-read. *** 3rd floor Library for me***.

2.If the Teacher finds it important enough to write on the chalk board .Than it's important enough for me to write it down too.and take legable notes.(this works).

3.Take BIG written notes while I re-read chapter,for some reason this made college possible for me.

4. on BOOK notes*While reading--The same stuff/Questions I would write down for a practice test / hilight --is the stuff I write down....but re write it down in my own words////kinda helps not to look back at book,while writting made-up question.then I answer it myself in my own words.BAMB it worked
4 clsses later and 3 A+'s and 1 B+

5.Buddy up with someone more studious than you.(more ORGANIZED THAN US)
in my case it was a cute girl in a Wheelchair named Lisa and what a blessing she was / is.
My G/F dont like her but I'll get over that.

6.Always buy the study guide too.

7.Never and I meen never Cheat.

8.(test day)Sit in the front 2 rows as close to Teacher.(for some reason this worked for me dont know why).

9.Before you answer your 1st question, read over the WHOLE test 1st.

10.Very Important**** always If at all possible study in the same place you always study.

Thanks this was a good topic.

1."You are either with me or against me".

2."A house that is divided ,will perish". from Bible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RUBICONCOWBOY For This Useful Post:
Blablablue (09-13-14), ChooseJoy (02-18-17), MichelleHB (11-16-13)
Old 12-07-04, 10:10 PM

BenFoldsNerd is on a distinguished road
Definitely sit in the front row! Otherwise, all you will be able to think about is how 50% of the class is nervously shaking their legs (my biggest pet peve), but if they're all behind you, you can focus on the test.

My preferred study method is to cut out as much reading and writing as possible. Learning the concepts is easy compared to reading and writing. I don't take notes in lecture (except for huge obvious things) and spend my time trying to absorb and understand while the teacher's talking. I figure, if I understand it while the teacher's talking, I don't have much of a need for notes anyway... and in the case that I did miss something, I can email the teacher or go to his office hours. As for reading the texts, my family doctor, who happens to be a genius and a dyslexic, taught me an invaluble trick -- test it out on yourself:

Give the chapter(s) a good skim. Look at the bold print, charts, colored boxes, and picture captions without reading the paragraphs. Close the book, and then ask yourself to recite everything in your head (or aloud) that you remember from the chapter. It will be enough to surprise you, I promise. Then, give it another good skim, looking at "just a few more things" this time. Ask yourself again, "what have I learned now so far?" After two or three good "skims," go ahead and read the chapter from start to finish, and you'll see that you knew almost everything you did reading the chapter, just from skimming effectively. I haven't read read a chapter this semester, and have a 4.0 so far! (let's hope that keeps up...)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to BenFoldsNerd For This Useful Post:
addmom35 (09-28-10), Andenia (04-30-10), bananajunk (10-19-11), Celeste (02-26-11), ChooseJoy (02-18-17), cosine106 (08-18-13), dragonfyre2013 (05-13-09), edgar frog (09-12-10), indy (12-22-08), leeleenat (10-10-12), loveydovey25 (03-19-11), michelle34639 (10-22-15), MichelleHB (11-16-13), misstickmeg (04-08-11), Mutant Gene (03-10-10), Pelekus (05-05-11), Ramos26 (02-13-13), sortawicked (08-13-09)
Old 12-08-04, 01:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
It depends on what I am studying for. If its a test with lots of facts and such, I read and re-read and re=read I do this 12 or so times. They say 12 is a magic number. It has and has not helped in the past. Otherwise I find writing things down over and over works well also.
If your important people will wait for u!
The Following User Says Thank You to casper For This Useful Post:
ChooseJoy (02-18-17)
Old 12-08-04, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
okay i know all of this and am excellent at teaching myself and others, but how do you get your butt in the chair and keep it there?

i can sort of if i am scared and take a bunch of adderall
otherwise i am making a polymer to fix a floor, making my own inkjet ink
reading about surfactents, dispersal and suspension agents.

fixxing my still, designing a new truck for my skateboard and cutting it out of a block of aluminium, designing a dress with fur trim a drop back out of bias cut silk for my wife.
the new stuff with a touch of lycra, making chocolate from scratch, ie cocoa and cocoa butter, i blend a few types of cocoa...................

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robmhill For This Useful Post:
ADDGolfer (06-22-13), dellafalls (08-04-11)
Old 12-08-04, 04:49 PM

bad is on a distinguished road
yeah... how to study isn't a problem... how to not "not study" is the problem
The Following User Says Thank You to bad For This Useful Post:
Avichai (02-10-11)
Old 12-08-04, 05:41 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
I study by writing notes in class in an outline type format, and then before exams or tests, I type all those notes up. Typing them allows me to read them while also letting me focus on typing, and I can learn the information both kinesthetically and visually. Works well for me.

As far as his "secret" of learning so you can understand and teach it to other people: this is absolutely true. That prevents memorization. As a matter of fact, I often DO teach things to other people. Everything I study I apply to my daily life, and I also teach people about it regularly.

Applying what you learn to your daily life is a great way to keep everything fresh, and also makes sure you aren't wasting your money by learning it.
PrincessCharlie (07-17-13)
Old 12-08-04, 11:15 PM
Jr Member

RottweilerMom is on a distinguished road
I'm not in college any more but did manage to get a degree from an Ivy League, Cornell University, a hair shy of deans list most of my semesters there and one bonifide deans list my senior year. I took notes while reading...I still have a lot of my books from college and the margins are plastered with notes I took while reading. Note taking like a fiend and Flash cards helped me a lot when it came time for mid terms and prelims. I studied my best in dining halls and coffee shops or anywhere there was activity in the background. I acutally had a really hard time when in my dorm room and studying by myself. There were too many things to distract me from doing what I needed to get busy with. So I sought out friends to study with or places where there was a ton of stuff going on. I learned from high school, I actually studied my best with my head phones on to some Motley Crew (yeah, I know...big time dating myself) blasting so I could drown out the excess crap floating in my head helped out big time. Little did I know at the time, I learned to manage ADD before I had an inkling what was wrong with me. I just knew I could focus with insanely loud music pulsing through my skull..(but I can't hear worth crap now ) However, I really busted my butt so I could keep up with my peers to the point where my friends jokingly labelled me as a "cut throat". At the time I didn't know I was ADD but did what I needed to do run with the pack. By my junior year, what I did was just habit and I did what I needed to do.

Do what works for you even though it seems like it's not the norm. Most of my friends headed for the library when I went for the dining halls for studying. I knew then, it worked and I could study my butt off and had the grades to prove it. I wish I knew what was up with my head back then...god knows what grades I could have pulled. But you can do it...trust me, I did. If any of you want to chat about college in an ivy league setting with ADD...please feel free to PM me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RottweilerMom For This Useful Post:
bluelephant (11-29-15), leeleenat (10-10-12), PrincessCharlie (07-17-13)
Old 12-10-04, 01:01 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Do I ever TOTALLY agree with teaching others in order to learn whatever it is you're supposed to learn. When I was teaching sixth grade reading, we had the students research an invention. Their product wasn't a written paper (holy cow...those would NEVER have gotten graded by my then-undiagnosed-self! lol!). We put them into small groups and each member had to teach what they found out about their invention, including devising, administering, and grading (clever, eh!) their own tests, and how well the other members did was a (small) part of their grade, so there was some accountability. Also in order to ensure quality, there were checkpoints along the way, and the students were graded using a rubric that listed what type of work would earn 5 points vs. only 1 point.

Anyway, I have seen proof of the benefits of learning by teaching both in my students and in myself.

Granted, this is one of MANY, MANY study options. We ADDers must find what we know works for US.

As for how to not "not study," perhaps the suggestions in this thread (post #7) may give someone some guidance...http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13004

smooch
Old 12-10-04, 04:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

addhil is on a distinguished road
I always used to use cue cards, I'd write questions on the back that had to do with whatever I was studying and write the answer on the other side, and group topics by cue card colour. It worked pretty well, it just takes a lot of time beforehand to put the cue cards together, and depending on what you're studying for you could need a lot of cue cards.

I also found this worked really well for math and chemistry.

But with ebola.

Old 12-10-04, 10:39 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
These days, my goal in class is to understand the concepts and the materials as opposed to memorizing facts and taking notes. I gave up on taking notes quite a while ago, as I generally miss one or two sentences for every sentence that I try to make out and copy onto paper.

In a fact driven course (such as a history course), it is important to understand the purpose of the information that is being conveyed, especially for a "systems-thinker" . It is difficult for such a thinker to know what facts are of significance if he or she does not understand the goals of the professor in question. Unfortunately, sometimes the professor in question does not proactively disclose this. Since a "systems-thinker" must understand the overall concept and interconnections before dwelling on the details, a certain amount of "pre-teaching" must be employed in order for the person to get the most out of a lecture.

Even in a course that usually relies on the understanding of concepts as opposed to weakly-connected facts may pose as being problematic to "systems-thinkers". In several CS courses at my school, I have encountered many test questions that are a bit subjective and based on the content of the lecture as opposed to being based on the topic itself. This is a nasty little trap for those who are in college to study a subject that he or she is already knowledgeble on (which often results in inattention to irrelavent, professor-specific details).

As far as reading goes, I tend to stay away from textbooks as much as possible and rely on information found on the Internet. Textbooks simply are not structured in a way that is natural to me, and the often leave out important details that lead to the further understanding of the topic at hand. Literature is the worst for me. I used to find summaries of particular books on the Internet before reading the book in order to give me an overview in order to have "mental placeholders" for the details of the book. I have successfully written several papers on books by only reading Internet-based, chapter-level overviews.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
choco222 (04-02-12), cosine106 (08-18-13), dellafalls (08-04-11), Forager (08-06-10), Science112 (07-18-16)
Old 12-14-04, 02:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
if only there were a service from which one could rent people to stand over one with a stick
or small cattle prod, to keep one in the seat.
or get one there.

learning is a breeze for me
it is staying still long enough to do what i need to that is the problem.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to robmhill For This Useful Post:
aga4333 (08-13-10), audiophilekate (10-12-13), edgar frog (09-12-10), f4k3pl4stic (10-27-09), Pelekus (05-05-11), Science112 (07-18-16), Slooowdown (08-18-12)