ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-29-05, 02:19 AM

DYNE540 is on a distinguished road
hi this topic is very important & interesting..so i'm depositing my 2cents here:

i use a learning system called guaranteed 4.0
bottom line: it works for the first time in my collegiate career i have earned an A- minus in a class, no less...physics of all classes.
the system teaches and helps organize, memorize, reinforces concepts, on task..and really interesting look at the fact most people really don't have studying down or what it's about. google it! it's the only $20 investment that i know in 4 years can bring back 50k annually----> job

email me if you got q's. i won't hesistate to reply!
Old 03-29-05, 04:07 AM
Banned

mccoffee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNE540
hi this topic is very important & interesting..so i'm depositing my 2cents here:

i use a learning system called guaranteed 4.0
bottom line: it works for the first time in my collegiate career i have earned an A- minus in a class, no less...physics of all classes.
the system teaches and helps organize, memorize, reinforces concepts, on task..and really interesting look at the fact most people really don't have studying down or what it's about. google it! it's the only $20 investment that i know in 4 years can bring back 50k annually----> job

email me if you got q's. i won't hesistate to reply!
I might check that out espescially the momorize and organize or just read my book from that study course i still might check it out just see what it covers or if it's more indeapth the coarse didn't really go into to much details on some of it.
Old 09-05-05, 11:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
I've had the hardest time reading BF Skinner (who is a difficult read in the first place), who talks in circles, takes forever to get to the point.

I remembered a trick I've been meaning to try - putting a pink transparency over the page I'm reading.
That made a difference for me. I'm going to keep trying it. I think it helped me to focus better on the words. The words seemed more visible with the pink transparency, rather than just on white paper.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-05, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

bcaddkid is on a distinguished road
Studying? What is this "studying" that you speak of?

I just go to exams, write them in 45 minutes, leave, and then listen to other people who worry about "what was question 4 all about? how about that essay question". Then I just sit back and watch myself either pass with an A or fail miserably.

I like the "chance-ing it" method. Works for me. Approximately 70% of the time.
Old 09-09-05, 04:22 AM

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
If I had "chanced" my way through undergrad, I wouldn't be in grad school. I would have flunked out of college my freshman year.

If I "chance" my way through grad school, I won't be able to sit for my board certified behavior analysis test.

I'm not willing to waste my money, education, nor my career on "chancing it"

It's great that that method works for you, bcaddkid.
Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Back to how people study best - -

My classmates and I divvied up all of the articles we had to read, for a test coming up, and each of us did an outline of our article.

It's making it much easier to study and will be faster to look through the outlines, during our timed test, for some quick answers.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 01-09-06, 07:02 PM

mike12 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, livinginchaos gave me this link in another thread and I filtered out tips from these posts here to help my 17 year old do better, just wanted to share with you all what I think will help my son and to say thank you to all who gave their inputs/tips/advice in this thread:

Livinginchaos, thanks, I got quite a few good pointers from the link which I believe may help my son, they are, in order of importance:

1] Come to class prepared [so review the work the night before].

2] Start taping the classes [might as well start now to get into the habit for when in College].

3] Sit in Front [He has already been doing this in all of his classes].

4] Understand what you are studying until you can teach it to someone else.

5] Take practice tests and study more of what you got wrong.

6] Get together with a more studious and better organized student.

7] Get into study groups.

8] Read a chapter, ask yourself to recite everything back in your head, what you forget, go back and skim through it again and repeat this procedure until everything sticks.

9] When is class, write "outlines" and when you get home, expand them.

10] Writing things down might be a better way to remember.

11] Take a break every half hour to refocus or be able to concentrate better.

Now, I have to go set up a "time" schedule for each subject and using the guides above, let's see how this will go, will report back here.

p.s. I still need something to help with him remembering to hand in his homework and on time, any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-10-06, 01:51 AM

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_sunshine
Not so sure I agree with your professor saying your way is "wrong." Everyone tends to learn either by hearing/seeing, doing, or a combination of these two. Yeah, there are fancy words for this, but I'll spare you (ha ha).
There's some current research (most of it yet unpublished, but will be soon) that pretty much debunks this theory.

It turns out that, while people have learning preferences, they don't actually "learn better" in a particular mode.

The best way to learn is to study actively and to approach the material from as many different angles as possible.

Passive reading or rote memorization is one of the worst strategies.

The prof's advice in an early post about being able to teach something is excellent.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 01-10-06, 02:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
I don't disagree with being able to teach the material, if one had to, as being a great way to learn the material oneself. However, this thread is about how does everyone study. My intention was to express how I study, and my personal opinion to comments made by Living's professor.

For me, rote memorization was the best way to learn certain types of things, such as math formulas, french verbs, vocabulary words. That doesn't mean it's the best way, overall, or the only way. It was the one that worked for me best in those instances.

I agree that approaching the material as if you had to teach it to someone else is great because in my personal experiences, this has been effective for me. It's also likely why I became a teacher--it seemed natural to me to take information and frame it in ways that different students will find accessible.

Let me know when the material has been published. I'm always up for learning new things, and would welcome all findings.
Old 01-20-06, 07:53 PM

Aleksandra has disabled reputation
My studying strategy is shamely poor

If I am motivated and if I am not distracted "emotionaly" I can learn anything and everywhere by reading or drawing or doing calculation exercise...
But if I am not motivated, if I got interested in something completely irrelevant - I just forget the studying. There is no strategy which could help me. And I have read everything I could find about learning technique. I tryed everything. No way.

So, during my long and rich history of studying I showed alarming discrepancy between learning time used for preparing exam. For example, I passed terrible, large exam with excelent grade studying only 7 days (about 800 pages book + drawings - we still use such "good, old" books here ) and on the other side I spent almost 6 months to learn ridiculous 50 - 60 pages for preexam test.

The only thing I find useful is speed reading technique. It saved me a lot of time and, when I have serious lack of focus, it helps me get the big picture of what I am supposed to learn.
Old 02-03-06, 06:26 PM

Captain ADD is on a distinguished road
http://www.oberlin.edu/psych/studytech/tsld001.htm
That method has helped me out a lot so far, it seems to work very well. Some of you psych majors are probably familiar with it.
Old 02-03-06, 09:24 PM

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain ADD
http://www.oberlin.edu/psych/studytech/tsld001.htm
That method has helped me out a lot so far, it seems to work very well. Some of you psych majors are probably familiar with it.
That site is excellent!

I know the Bjorks (not extremely well, but I like them!). These pointers are directly from the literature and are among the strongest effects known to cognitive psychology....

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 02-04-06, 06:09 AM
Banned

steven d will become famous soon enough
I have some additional study tips that seemed succesfull for me:

1 Don't think about study techniques..
2 Treat your ADD (if you suffer from this disorder) very well
3 Try not to think about anything but your study material (if you can)
4 wake up at 8 p.m.
5 after you wake brush your teeth, go to a library and stay there for 6 hours.
6 don't fall asleep in library, don't drift off..
7 READ, READ, REREAD, READ, REREAD, READ
8 After this day feel content about yourself and review what you have learned
9 do some exercise (before and after study)
10 do something relaxing or do something else
11 go to bed
12 sleep, wake, and repeat 1 - 12

You will sure become successfull. This is what I do. (except that I'm too lazy to do it well)
Old 02-09-06, 01:05 AM

beancounter is on a distinguished road
You could apply this tip to studying/reading if need be but I used it while test taking and before I was able to sit for the tests in a quiet place ---ear plugs. I used to get very distracted by people getting up after finishing the exam and all the noise they made. I found it very helpful.
Old 02-13-06, 08:21 PM
Jr Member

koesherbacon has disabled reputation
If at all possible try to get a single dorm room or live on your own off campus. Having less people around while you're trying to do your work will help you a ton.

Another thing you need to do is go meet with the disabilities coordinator, they can give you assistance in studying, and in test taking and etc.
Old 02-13-06, 08:22 PM
Jr Member

koesherbacon has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven d
4 wake up at 8 p.m.
I think Steven means 8 a.m. here. Try to make it to your classes, they'll help the studying!