ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 02-08-10, 08:41 PM

Brat66 is on a distinguished road
Re: College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

Wanted to share a positive note - I am making this work and I'm almost done.

Just a little further and I'll get the degree I've wanted for so long.

I an in third year of a BA degree right now. It is all uphill but I have learned some things that keep me focused on the targets.
Biggest was investing the money into buying Kurzwell 3000 software to help me with my reading. I have a ton of reading to do and staying in the chair is like having my fingernails pulled out. With the reader I am forced to focus on the text. My eye is dragged across the screen as I hear the words being spoke by the software. I wish I had this thing on day one. It is not perfect, but a great improvement. I am getting through my reading assignments and I feel better prepared for class. The reading list for my program is very heavy.
Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Brat66; 02-08-10 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: typo - go figure.
Old 02-24-10, 03:10 AM
Contributor

michinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nice
Oh sigh~

Can you turn a nerd into an adventurer?

A dweeb into a swashbuckling pirate?

sure, anything can happen.

But I have trouble understanding why the swashbuckling pirate would want to turn himself into a dweeb.

College is for people who want to pursue information gathering, analysis, debate, and discussion for the REST OF THEIR LIVES.

It is not for people who want to DO real things, not just write and talk about them.
It is not for people who are natural born salesmen.
It is not for people who are natural healers.
(because if you pursue the educational route of becoming a doctor, you won't get to heal anyone!)
It is not for people who love the outdoors.
It is not for people who love adventure and taking risks.
It is not for people who love having families and close friends.
It is not for good-looking people.

Really.
Academics is wasted on good-looking people.
We spend so much time indoors and by ourselves...

hehehe~

As a nerd, I resent that the colleges are making billions of dollars by convincing other people that they should be nerds too.

How would you like it if one day, you were on the field watching your favorite sport,
and a bunch of people poured into the game,
and wanted to play...
except they hated the game.
and found it boring.
but kept popping medication to finish the game,
and some who couldn't afford medication hunkered down in a corner
to drink from a bottle and take other drugs~
and stay for years?

Please, please.
Go do what makes you happy~
Be a superstar in your rightful field...
Stop being miserable in the academics pool~ go play in the cool pool!!

The Following User Says Thank You to michinyuja For This Useful Post:
adhdzee (09-09-17)
Old 03-21-10, 02:36 PM

Writing blunder is on a distinguished road

I have a question. What sort of writing techniques do you guys employee to reduce the number of errors and missed words in your writings? Most everything I compose always contains embarrassing errors.

To help avoid mistakes I frequently read and re-read my emails numerous times before having the courage to finally send them.

This shortfall is my Achilles heel! If I could some how learn over come this shameful annoyance I’d have it made.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-10, 08:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oh sigh~

Quote:
Originally Posted by michinyuja View Post

So you're telling me I've wasted the last three years?

I try to study but I find it insanely difficult. I use a spaced repetition program called Supermemo recently and it seems to be working quite nicely.

Old 04-01-10, 03:39 PM
Jr Member

Skulky will become famous soon enough

For me, my best method of studying is to take "picture notes". The point here is to make the main points of a reading interesting and memorable for me. When I take standard notes, I usually never look at them after I'm done; it takes too much effort for me to slog through all of those words again and again.

I find "picture notes" to be more direct. When I take the time to illustrate a concept, it burns into my memory. I can also make quick associations between things. For example, for some sociology notes I took recently, I drew Herbert Spencer as a surgeon, because he made an analogy about how society functions similarly to the way that organs function.

Here are some pictures of how I like to take my notes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...-01-10_135.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nasha/4444.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...enasha/555.jpg

It takes longer to make notes using this method, but it's worth it, because it helps me remember the content, and studying afterward takes less time.

I really think that good studying makes something memorable. Likewise, I've been able to remember information by putting it to music. I can STILL remember particular chemical equations because I fit them to parts of various Disney songs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skulky For This Useful Post:
ahcanuck (05-02-10)
Old 04-01-10, 06:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

DTownDave22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulky View Post
For me, my best method of studying is to take "picture notes". The point here is to make the main points of a reading interesting and memorable for me. When I take standard notes, I usually never look at them after I'm done; it takes too much effort for me to slog through all of those words again and again.

I find "picture notes" to be more direct. When I take the time to illustrate a concept, it burns into my memory. I can also make quick associations between things. For example, for some sociology notes I took recently, I drew Herbert Spencer as a surgeon, because he made an analogy about how society functions similarly to the way that organs function.

Here are some pictures of how I like to take my notes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/faerenasha/04-01-10_135.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/faerenasha/4444.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/faerenasha/555.jpg

It takes longer to make notes using this method, but it's worth it, because it helps me remember the content, and studying afterward takes less time.

I really think that good studying makes something memorable. Likewise, I've been able to remember information by putting it to music. I can STILL remember particular chemical equations because I fit them to parts of various Disney songs.
It's funny that you posted this because I resumed using this strategy last evening for a research methods course and I have a subscription to this thread.

I too am more of a visual learner and being active helps with the learning process.

A difficulty with college in the U.S. at least in my experience vs. high school, as I've mentioned several times to people, is that in college, there is more material. I usually used rote memory and acronyms and letting memorization of limited information suffice and such and even approaches like you use today, in H.S. but in college, it's hard to use such approaches because I often am not sure what is more important and combined with more material, it makes it more difficult.

I usually choose paper or typing out notes depending on the length of the material but also how visual it is.

One problem I have though is trying to overcome my less than average short-term and working memory when synthesizing different related parts when reading into coherent, clear notes like these you show here, not even necessarily just picture notes, though I do use pictures in my notes.

I have a question related to taking notes, even notes like this since they are more time consuming: What if for example you start writing out notes but then there is another concept or definition that fits into what you already wrote and it is written in a way that sort of already sets that space on the piece of paper; perhaps the way it is written is suffice but a new way would be more clear. This is in part why I've been at least interested by the idea of using a tablet or a tablet laptop but it doesn't seem it would be as flexible as good 'ole paper, pens, markers, with color and such. Also, how do you decide what is worth investing your precious time into and what to invest less or no time into putting into notes? Textbooks make it much more clear with headings. When reading longer non-fiction, such as books that are written aboout the history of a particular topic, such as a 300+ pg. book in a span of a few weeks, that is tough. I find with my ADD, I may get too much into details, I set timers but I also feel if I don't have enough related information, or learn much from reading any given 20 pgs., then I'm wasting my time. One more thing I forgot to note is that paper notes takes more time in some ways + my handwriting is not that great and is messy when I try writing faster to overcome this lack of relative speed compared to typing. I've yet to combine the two ways of recording notes, such as typing and then illustrating what I think are probably the most important points.

Perhaps making a brief outline then followed by an illustration or more graphic/picture-based notes would help. I'm in my 5th year of college and I still feel when it comes to taking notes and reading, I could improve considerably.

Hope this post wasn't too long--you seem like someone that is more decisive than me and maybe you have a few answers you could share.

Thanks for sharing this.
I have great feelings of love for many things and hatred for none. On the spectrum of love to hate, there are things and certain behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that are close to hate but there are unfortunate reasons for these things being so: Some I'm aware of to varying degrees and some I do not yet know the reasons for--maybe some day.
Old 04-02-10, 11:27 AM

Desconcerta is on a distinguished road

Some days before the exam (and I have done this with out going to class much):

First two days or so:
Go through all the stuff and compact it in texts. No diagrams, everything written. In order to be able to do that, one must understand everything. If I have time, I'll go as far as I need and as out of subject as I need to get the right picture.
3, 4th and maybe 5th day:
Schematic phase. Make diagrams of everything and relate everything you can. Don't let yourself be confined by the size of a paper. If you feel the diagram is larger, clip papers together. When you need to remember something, you will know where in the diagram it was and make it less probable to confuse memories (different relations are in different locations).
6th and 7th day:
Compact the diagram into text and write down what you don't remember. Don't worry about what you do remember. At this stage, you should remember a lot.
Try and write down what you have not remembered by memory and locate it on the diagram.
Again, what you have not remembered this time, you write down again and do the same until you don't forget anything.

Very important: Especially during the diagram stage, it is important that you sleep between big relational efforts. If you go to far you might mix relations or they might not be as effective. So, if you are tired, take a rest. Relations are much easier to remember the day after you have made them.>>
Old 04-04-10, 04:08 AM

MManuRere is on a distinguished road

After a few tries at this "college" bit, I'm finally starting to get to the point where I'm feeling successful -- not "successful" as in "does some brilliant work (when he actually finishes anything)" but as in "can consistently produce high-quality work". And it's interesting how much diversity there seems to be as to what works for people -- for me, there's really only one thing that consistently helps.

I study (and, whenever possible and appropriate, work on projects) with other people. It's kinda funny sometimes -- I've had math and physics study groups where other people asked me why I was there, since it seemed like I didn't need the help and was just showing up to help the rest of the group. But that's just it -- talking through ideas, techniques, concepts, etc. is just about the only way that I can really learn them.

I'm starting to have a few tricky moments finding people to study with, though. Calling family members and friends or ranting to roomies doesn't work so well any more (few are/were physics majors), which means I'm pretty much dependent on people in my classes when it comes to finding people to bounce ideas off of. Given the size of my classes (under 20 people per class, usually under 15 -- and this at a school that actually does some pretty good research in the field), I'm starting to get nervous about being able to consistently find study groups for the remaining year and a half of my undergrad (plus at least two of grad school, but one thing at a time, eh?).

Does anyone have any experiences to share on this?
Old 04-04-10, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

DTownDave22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MManuRere View Post
After a few tries at this "college" bit, I'm finally starting to get to the point where I'm feeling successful -- not "successful" as in "does some brilliant work (when he actually finishes anything)" but as in "can consistently produce high-quality work". And it's interesting how much diversity there seems to be as to what works for people -- for me, there's really only one thing that consistently helps.

I study (and, whenever possible and appropriate, work on projects) with other people. It's kinda funny sometimes -- I've had math and physics study groups where other people asked me why I was there, since it seemed like I didn't need the help and was just showing up to help the rest of the group. But that's just it -- talking through ideas, techniques, concepts, etc. is just about the only way that I can really learn them.

I'm starting to have a few tricky moments finding people to study with, though. Calling family members and friends or ranting to roomies doesn't work so well any more (few are/were physics majors), which means I'm pretty much dependent on people in my classes when it comes to finding people to bounce ideas off of. Given the size of my classes (under 20 people per class, usually under 15 -- and this at a school that actually does some pretty good research in the field), I'm starting to get nervous about being able to consistently find study groups for the remaining year and a half of my undergrad (plus at least two of grad school, but one thing at a time, eh?).

Does anyone have any experiences to share on this?
I don't have any such experiences but what you say here seems consistent with what I've read about I believe the majority of those with A.D.D. and being active in trying to learn.

I would start close to your school and work out from there.

Try utilizing resources to connect with others in your class

Ask your professor about any ways to learn in the manner you are looking to learn and be persistent. Personally, I would ask your professor if you could or if he would, ask when classmates are there; ask before class or after class, if anyone would be interested in partnering up, a small group or any type of group facilitation for the class--maybe even cite a brief research finding too that supports such effectiveness of this learning style. Follow it up with an email to the class if you have such resources. Are there group study rooms at your campus or another place to study in small group or interactive style? Essentially, don't give up on your own school. From there, if that falls short, I'd try asking your department for some help and tell them what you're looking for.

You could also try any neighboring schools at the post-secondary/college level and students that are taking essentially the same class if there are any being taught close enough in terms of location and the material being taught. In a number of locations, you could put up a posting of what you're looking for in the classrooms of your school and others in the classrooms in which those who have taken your class/classes are likely to be or who could most likely help you. Use your class schedule online to find those and go from there.

Outside of that, I don't have any experience or ideas to draw off of aside from perhaps perusing a resource like Skype, which offers free video chat if you have such resources to use, if meeting in person is not a real possibility in terms of time/schedules (I know there is an ADD/Life coach in my area that uses Skype which is where I learned about it).

Talking over the phone might work, but never done that. I'm just bouncing around ideas, absent group face-to-face study.

Paid study buddy

The last idea I can think of is send out word in your school or even within your area, to pay for a tutor at an affordable price. Someone to help you grasp the material, but more importantly, let you reinforce the material. It could be someone that's already taken the class at your school. If someone doesn't feel comfortable working as a "tutor" just tell them you could really use some help to discuss the material with and talk about it with and the help you are looking for is supplemental; maybe think of it as a paid study/discussion buddy. It may not be exactly the same, but it may be better than nothing. You could find these people through the help of your department I would think and other sources I mentioned too.
I have great feelings of love for many things and hatred for none. On the spectrum of love to hate, there are things and certain behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that are close to hate but there are unfortunate reasons for these things being so: Some I'm aware of to varying degrees and some I do not yet know the reasons for--maybe some day.
Old 04-23-10, 05:01 AM

FarOut is a jewel in the roughFarOut is a jewel in the roughFarOut is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

College is for people who want to pursue information gathering, analysis, debate, and discussion for the REST OF THEIR LIVES.

It is not for people who want to DO real things, not just write and talk about them.
It is not for people who are natural born salesmen.
It is not for people who are natural healers.
(because if you pursue the educational route of becoming a doctor, you won't get to heal anyone!)
It is not for people who love adventure and taking risks.

I take this as light hearted humour, but I still want to point out that there's a lot of useful and practical information available in higher education, whether you're a natural salesman (you'd only become a more learned natural salesman) or a "natural healer" (there's great demand for natural healers in medicine, but if you're talking about being a new ageish "healer" then yes, learning medicine will probably blow a hole through your delusions).

The problem isn't education. It's how we're educated that causes problems for people with ADHD.

I believe more than anybody else, people who have learning difficulties need to take life-long learning as their major guideline through life. It's unfortunate that school and higher education is such an unforgiving teacher. It'll discourage people from learning, because they associate studying with negative feedback instead of it being rewarding experience.
ADHDTigger (06-24-10), Squirrely Seth (06-28-11)
Old 06-03-10, 09:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Koilo1 will become famous soon enough

I force myself to sit down and go through all the lecture slides. Then I type up every detail that needs memorizing. Then I go to the gym at night and work out and memorize everything! =)
Old 06-24-10, 02:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,919 Times in 7,990 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
So you're telling me I've wasted the last three years?

I try to study but I find it insanely difficult. I use a spaced repetition program called Supermemo recently and it seems to be working quite nicely.
[/font]
Don't you get it Archon, education isn't for our kind.

We should be unmedicated ambulence drivers.........

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...70&postcount=6
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...80&postcount=4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (06-24-10), APSJ (06-24-10), peripatetic (06-24-10)
Old 06-24-10, 03:13 AM

Thanked 32,277 Times in 14,578 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shocked at how offensive I find much of this. It's a level I'm unsure I've reached heretofore.

Quote:

All of those skills have applications beyond the classroom and laboratory. Are you suggesting that people not currently pursuing an education, teaching or with a degree don't employ them and/or find them valuable?

Quote:
My profession and what it generates are just as 'real' as anything else.

Quote:
It's unfortunate that you are unable to enjoy a fuller life, but these are gross, inaccurate generalizations.

Quote:
but kept popping medication to finish the game
Before commenting on your sport comparison and demeaning word choice in this particular sentence, I want to give you an opportunity to further explain what your point is here in hopes that it isn't as offensive as it appears.

Specifically, are you saying that those of us taking medication are necessarily bored and essentially cheating by taking prescribed medication to correct a documented disorder? Is this just related to ADHD or are those on medications for depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc also cheating by 'popping' pills? And overall, do you not believe that people with these neurobiological differences should have the opportunity to correct them so as to have the same shot at reaching their potential and achieving their goals as someone not facing those challenges?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (06-25-10), ADHDTigger (06-24-10), APSJ (06-24-10), ginniebean (06-25-10), Hadria (07-19-11), IhazCHAOS (03-19-11)
Old 06-24-10, 10:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Really.
Academics is wasted on good-looking people.
We spend so much time indoors and by ourselves...
WOW.

So I guess the fact that I went to college and became a nurse means that I am what? Unattractive??? Well! I guess you told ME! Thank goodness that the people who crossed my path in ER didn't care that I was unattractive while I was busy with their care.

How about the hours I spent teaching in the classroom? I suppose that if the whole nursing thing didn't qualify me as unattractive, the whole teaching thing did.

How about you stop with the ad hominem attacks on people you have NEVER met. Seriously. My appearance has little to do with my character.

Quote:
Please, please.
Go do what makes you happy~
Be a superstar in your rightful field...
Stop being miserable in the academics pool~ go play in the cool pool!!
You have obviously missed the fact that it requires a college education to work at Mc Donalds any more. Regardless of your particular belief system, higher education is no longer an option, it has to be seen as a requirement to get just about any job.

I recently was on a cruise and discovered that EVERYONE I came in contact with- from my room steward to the barristas in the coffee shop in the Observation lounge to the waiters had at LEAST a Bachelors degree in Hospitality and in many cases Masters degrees. Some wonderful and even attractive people. They had to have gotten those degrees SOMEWHERE. Do you think it might have been college?

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (06-25-10), adhdwptsd (06-12-11), APSJ (06-24-10), ginniebean (06-25-10), IhazCHAOS (03-19-11)
Old 06-25-10, 02:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
go play in the cool pool!!
I remember when being "cool" used to count for something. Then I moved into grade 6.

There is nothing more pathetic than grown adults still worrying about what is considered "cool".

It's really uncool.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Archon For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (06-25-10), IhazCHAOS (03-19-11), peripatetic (06-25-10)