ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 07-18-12, 09:31 PM
Contributor

jman05 is on a distinguished road
Drug test! How long is my prescription valid?

I quit taking Vyvanese a few years ago but kept the medication in case I needed it. Well I had an interview today and took a pill. Ends up I got an offer the same day and now I will have to take a drug test. Now I'm freaking out because I don't know if I can still use my old prescription as an excuse!
Old 07-18-12, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

BohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really nice
Re: Drug test! How long is my prescription valid?

Im not sure how things like this work, but having a guess i would say that if you still have the script, in date or not, to prove you got the medication legally, and also have the original bottle to show that the pill you took was from a legitimate prescription and let them know on the day of the test, i dont see how you would be in trouble. But like i said, im not sure how it works.
Good luck! Im sure youll be fine.

xxBB

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing." -Albert Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-12, 10:59 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

I assume the job offer is conditional on passng the test, but you don't have to take the test until you accept the conditional offer, correct? If you don't think it will lose you the offer, why not thank the employer for their offer, tell them you'll give them an answer tomorrow or the next day, and then schedule the test? Or are they insisting that you pass the test on the spot?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-12, 11:25 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
I assume the job offer is conditional on passng the test, but you don't have to take the test until you accept the conditional offer, correct? If you don't think it will lose you the offer, why not thank the employer for their offer, tell them you'll give them an answer tomorrow or the next day, and then schedule the test? Or are they insisting that you pass the test on the spot?
Well it will stay in my system for 3-5 days. I should expect the offer in the mail tomorrow. I said yes today.
Old 07-18-12, 11:46 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Also, information on the first and second page of this document may be relevant. If the dose you took was small, it may not test positive at all after a day or two.
Old 07-19-12, 12:14 AM
Forum Guru

This is a very interesting topic question. I have been searching and so far have not found any definitive information about your original question. Every discussion I have come across regarding the permissability of using or possessing a controlled substance (generally in the context of workplace policies) mentions the requirement of a valid or current prescription. I haven't yet been able to find an authoritative definition of a current prescription.

When do you expect to have to take the drug test?

Last edited by purpleToes; 07-19-12 at 12:28 AM..
Old 07-19-12, 12:36 AM
Forum Guru

By the way, congratulations on getting the offer!
Old 07-19-12, 09:48 AM
Contributor

Quote:
This is a very interesting topic question. I have been searching and so far have not found any definitive information about your original question. Every discussion I have come across regarding the permissability of using or possessing a controlled substance (generally in the context of workplace policies) mentions the requirement of a valid or current prescription. I haven't yet been able to find an authoritative definition of a current prescription.

When do you expect to have to take the drug test?
I've done hours of searches and haven't found anything. I can only assume that this is not a problem. Valid refers to in your name I think.
Old 07-19-12, 02:37 PM
Forum Guru

Valid is not a problem, but current might be. You might want to post this in the Jobs/career Impact Section for more helpful relplies. I have no personal experience in this area, just find it interesting.
Old 07-19-12, 04:21 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Valid is not a problem, but current might be. You might want to post this in the Jobs/career Impact Section for more helpful relplies. I have no personal experience in this area, just find it interesting.
I can't find any standards for "current." I once had a drug test and I showed my prescription that was 3-4 months old on a 1 month prescription. Expiration dates are different on different meds also.

Maybe the Mod can move this to the Career Impact forum.