ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-12, 12:28 PM

mrsleepy is on a distinguished road
Quit Smoking while on Adderall

Hi I have adult ADD and I smoke cigarettes. I'm prescribed adderall 10mg IR and vyvanse 60 mg. I've been trying to quit for some time now. The doctor has even given me Wellbutrin to help. But Wellbutrin has been giving me memory problems and I stopped taking it. But even with it, I kept smoking. Using Adderall or vyvanse always makes me want to smoke. These medications have been great for me. Gave me motivation and focus to finally get on with my life.

Cigarettes is the only thing still keeping me down. I have asthma and its hard to exercise when your smoking all the time. I smoke about half a pack a day and sometimes more depending on the stress levels I have.

Have anyone here been able to quit smoking cigarettes while on stimulants? I want to get off of them but honestly I am terrible without my medications. I just simply wasted my time everyday before being diagnosed and I don't want to get back to that point in my life. Some pointers on how to quit smoking while on adderall please
Old 07-24-12, 12:37 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,133 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quit Smoking while on Adderall

Here is a thread that might be of some help:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ing+stimulants

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 07-24-12, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,793 Times in 7,591 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I.Just.Cant. right now.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 03:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all

I've heard that Adderall/stimulants can make it more difficult for smokers to quit smoking. But maybe adding a bit of Wellbutrin might help, since it does help smokers quit.

Rx= Will be taking Adderall IR soon.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 07-24-12, 04:47 PM

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I might have something that helps ....heh heh ...and I don't own stock in any of the companies ....

after 46 years of smoking 1 to 2 packs a day ....last winter I got out of breath just going up the one flight of stairs .....freaked me out ....

then someone here wrote something about "e" cigarettes...and I thought ...what are those ...and went and did a bunch of research on them...and finally got it together and sent away for a 1 use only e cig .....welln now it wasn't bad at all .....so I got a "starter" set .....

and before I knew it ...less that 2 weeks later, I wasn't smoking reg cigs any more at all ....and haven't since I started on the e cigs.....

they're cheaper, they are really a minature vaporizor....come in various sizes, and while not cheap, they end up costing about 1/2 of reg cig ....

.....they come in different strengths of nicotine from 0 to 32mg .....and while nictine is not harmless, the really dangerous parts of a reg cig. is the smoke, the tar, and all the other nasties they put in cigs....

....I gotta say , it is exchanging one crutch for another ...true ...but one the other hand, the new crutch is far less harmful than the old one ...and that's good enough for me ....

,,,,and the one thing that I was afraid of , that I would continue to have cravings for cig if I tried to quit the way without e cigs....hasn't happened AT ALL with the e cigs.....and they come in cherry flavor ...actually you can get about 100 different flavors, including lots of different reg cig flavors....

.....I highly recommomend trying the e cig ....srsly ...it was EASY !

feel free to PM me and I'll steer you in a direction ...the information out there is overwhelming ...took me weeks of checking it out before I even dared to order the first one ....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 07-24-12, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

There is a problem with nicotine cessation products. At first, they tend to help quite a bit, as they deliver the nicotine the body craves. But the problem isn't necessarily the nicotine. Nicotine is not very addictive, at least by itself. Combined with an MAOI inhibitor, which tobacco provides (albeit, a very weak one), nicotine becomes extremely addictive. So when you begin nicotine replacement therapy, your body still has low levels of MAO and together, with nicotine, they feed the addiction. After several days, MAO levels rise and the brain craves the addiction it had, despite having access to nicotine.
Source

We may not be able to find our way out of a paper bag, but we can design nuclear sunglasses.

Everything can be a gift, depending on how you look at it.

You don't like me? That's funny, because I don't live to please you.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsanADHDthing For This Useful Post:
mrsleepy (07-30-12)
Old 07-25-12, 01:12 AM

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well that was a big help .....didn't understand a work of it ....

what are you driving at ? ....and as Long as I am not smoking ( vaping instead) I am avoiding all of the bad stuff that you get with reg cig.......except nicotine ....

and since I know that I'd be still smoking 1 to 2 packs of reg cigs. a day if if weren't for the e cigs....I'll take the e cigs....

it ain't a perfect solution .....but it's far and away a better way to go than I had been ....and the important part is that I can do it .....

before the ecig, if I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom .....I'd have a smoke ....

I was a serious cigarette addict...and I did not think there was any way I could stop ....

works for me ....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 07-25-12, 02:04 AM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

I have never smoked at all, but I have friends who have said that Adderall makes them smoke more.
Old 07-28-12, 07:33 PM
Jr Member

Insane Control has a spectacular aura aboutInsane Control has a spectacular aura about

You could use some information about how the adderall is prescribed and why it doesn't make sense. It has a half-life in your body of anywhere between 3-4 hrs, depending on the release factors(XR's). Feel how the different meds, foods you eat, along with sleep patterns, stress and basically anything that goes into your body(and yes, that includes non-tangible factors for you to discover). If I may? Try paying attention to how everything effects your body and mind(well as much as you can) and you find you are more in-tune with what you need to be doing and eating to monitor yourself and your own drug intake. Your body on average will feel the effects and "talk to you" in very different ways. It depends on factors like ingestion(Approx: 30-45 mins), Skin exposure(varies depending on potency of substance), so-on and so-forth. Sounds like they are not giving the dosages correctly in terms of the way your body and mind process them. Do your own research and look through all the material; and draw your own conclusions. Just know that most doctors are told how the medications work and what dosages are correct by the people(pharm companies) that test the medications. And if anyone thinks that 3 weeks of drug trials are enough to accurately determine whether or not it is physically and mentally sound... they are certifiably ignorant. And I don't mean to say that there are not doctors out there that do their due-diligence, but by and far, you and even your practitioner are most likely not given all the relevant information to determine how each individual may respond to any given pharmaceutical.

Basically just trust your body and mind to learn what you need to make all this make sense to you... No doctor in the world will ever be able to know you better than you can know yourself. Just because someone may be noted as a "professional" does not mean you should trust what they are telling you; especially if they can't tell you all the information you want to know. Ask questions and discern for yourself; never be intimidated by someone you don't know has your own best interest at heart.
Old 07-28-12, 07:46 PM
Jr Member

Insane Control has a spectacular aura aboutInsane Control has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, meant to change a few things. It's up to 1.5hrs as absorption, but it depends on the person and their metabolism. This message was in response to another earlier on in the feed. Sorry, still learning the program. And the on average statement is not written correctly, and I meant to erase it, as it is two separate concepts put into one sentence...I'm sure you all understand. Thank you, and apologies for my idiocy.
Old 07-28-12, 07:54 PM
Jr Member

I am going through the same issue, MRSLEEPY, and the same amount of cigs. I have stopped several times and I have found that I actually like them for many reasons, despite the illness that can come later. Figure out what it is that you enjoy enough to not want to make a change and try to supplement something more positive in it's place. Like enjoying to be outside, or liking to play with the smoke, or the oral stimulation, or the fact that you like the hand occupation of enjoying a smoke... whatever it is, it is unique to you and should work through it to find the motivation you need to get you away from the addiction(whatever it is that keeps you on them). I am going to the e cig for that exact reason, it's less destructive and provides the same relative experience without hurting as bad.
Old 07-28-12, 09:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsleepy View Post
Hi I have adult ADD and I smoke cigarettes. I'm prescribed adderall 10mg IR and vyvanse 60 mg. I've been trying to quit for some time now. The doctor has even given me Wellbutrin to help. But Wellbutrin has been giving me memory problems and I stopped taking it. But even with it, I kept smoking. Using Adderall or vyvanse always makes me want to smoke. These medications have been great for me. Gave me motivation and focus to finally get on with my life.

Cigarettes is the only thing still keeping me down. I have asthma and its hard to exercise when your smoking all the time. I smoke about half a pack a day and sometimes more depending on the stress levels I have.

Have anyone here been able to quit smoking cigarettes while on stimulants? I want to get off of them but honestly I am terrible without my medications. I just simply wasted my time everyday before being diagnosed and I don't want to get back to that point in my life. Some pointers on how to quit smoking while on adderall please

OP, I feel your pain. Im 60 days clean of all tobacco and nicotine and I take dexedrine daily for ADD. I recommend taking a week or two off of adderall and all stimulants (cup of tea if you need it). After that the first few times you take adderall are key because your brain says "Ok I sense amphetamine, now I expect to sense nicotine". But after a few days of not feeding it nicotine, you are home free. Good luck, stay strong, I feel no cravings at all and never plan to touch tobacco again. You can do it too, just believe in yourself.
Old 07-29-12, 04:35 PM

mrsleepy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah there is something to it that makes me smoke more than normal. Now I try to take at least 1 day off where I don't take my meds to recover. That and its starting to mess with my sleep schedule.

I will try to take your advice and not take meds for a little while to work on my nicotine craving. I have e-cigs, specifically safe cigs but they don't do it for me. They hurt my throat so I went back to regular cigs. Although I have to say it did stop me from smoking real cigs for a while.

The real problem is that on stimulants, Adderall or vyvanse, it really makes me want to smoke. My urges get more powerful as I take my meds. Before I was only smoking 3 or 4 a day and close to quitting. But dam its getting so bad that I'm being less productive because I am trying to smoke all the time. Taking too many breaks from my work just to feed this terrible habit. Just will power huh? Ok will try my best to muscle myself from smoking while I am taking my meds
Old 08-02-12, 03:55 PM

Cranski is just really niceCranski is just really niceCranski is just really niceCranski is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
Oh well that was a big help .....didn't understand a work of it ....

what are you driving at ? ....and as Long as I am not smoking ( vaping instead) I am avoiding all of the bad stuff that you get with reg cig.......except nicotine ....

and since I know that I'd be still smoking 1 to 2 packs of reg cigs. a day if if weren't for the e cigs....I'll take the e cigs....

it ain't a perfect solution .....but it's far and away a better way to go than I had been ....and the important part is that I can do it .....

before the ecig, if I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom .....I'd have a smoke ....

I was a serious cigarette addict...and I did not think there was any way I could stop ....

works for me ....

I agree with you on using the ecig. Whether they are as bad a cigarettes I don't know, but they definitely help cut down on real cigarette usage. I took a job that locks in at night and was worried about not being able to smoke. Picked up the cheapo from the gas station and figured it would either help or I'd quit the job. Well, it wasn't that bad. It didn't taste very good at first, but it kept back that physical urge of needing to go light up enough that I stayed with the job. I don't feel so out out of breath since cutting back half of my habit. I smell better I'm sure. I wish I could completely quit, but that isn't happening soon. I increased usage x2.5 after starting addy, I'm finally cut back to less than when I started. Its worth a shot, if it doesn't work the cheapo for $10 is disposable anyway.