ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 07-29-12, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

anonimi is on a distinguished road
Ritalin - the morning after

Hello,

Has been quite some time since I've been here, really. I'd gladly tell my story (cause that what we human always love to do - to talk about our problems) - but I'm more interested in some opinions you guys might have.

I've made a general search here and it appears I got a question that was partially asked by several people yet not answered in ways I had hoped it would get answered

I'm used to take Methylphanidate daily. My dosage was initially set to ~90mg a day (either Concerta, or 3x25mg of Ritalin).

For the past 4 years I've been playing with this dosage (and unfortunately, no other drugs available here). Recently I've decided that ADHD drugs (aka ritalin here) got me more worried, incapable and unsatisfied than I was before finding out about my charming adhd.

I've had several times of stopping it completely, but I couldn't handle long sessions of boring meetings. I'd just fly off to Wonderland in my mind. OH LOOK A BUNNY!!!! ..

Where was I? oh yes. ADHD. So eventually, I started taking 5mg of ritalin per session (3 a day) or 36mg Concerta daily.

The main side effect I'm experiencing now is with sleeping.

I don't sleep well. I'm not waking up, I dont get insomniac. I just know I dont sleep well. I wake up drowsy, tired, just wanna bang my head to the pillow.

And why is this a side effect? When I ever I lay off these narcotics, after 2-3 days I sleep better. I wake up more fresh, more lively. I love waking up when Ritalin isn't around.

Latest I take my dosage per day is 17:00 (and if its concerta, than the latest is 8:30 AM).

Anyone else experiencing this issue? problems waking up? sleeping poorly?

THANKS!

Old 07-29-12, 12:53 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 6,177 Times in 3,421 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin - the morning after

I've slept poorly my entire life, so maybe I'm not the best one to answer this, but when are you taking your doses? I know if they are taken too late in the evening, it makes sleep hard- either through insomnia or just sleeping really badly (at least for me).

Have you asked your doctor about it? Have you tried taking Melatonin for sleep? It's natural and with a low dose (5mg or 10mg) most people don't have too much problem waking up the next morning.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
anonimi (07-29-12)
Old 07-29-12, 03:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
I've slept poorly my entire life, so maybe I'm not the best one to answer this, but when are you taking your doses? I know if they are taken too late in the evening, it makes sleep hard- either through insomnia or just sleeping really badly (at least for me).

Have you asked your doctor about it? Have you tried taking Melatonin for sleep? It's natural and with a low dose (5mg or 10mg) most people don't have too much problem waking up the next morning.
Thank you for your answer

The latest hour I usually get dosed is around 18:00. But even when I get down to 16:00 - the effects are usually the same.

I'm not insomniac at all. In fact, I don't have any troubles falling a sleep while dosed (even though I'm not really sleepy most of the times. I won't be able to fall asleep in the first 30-80 minutes of the dose, obviously - I'm mostly motivated and energetic at that time frame).

But even though I can fall asleep pretty fast - When I wake up (after any of 5-9 hours, doesn't matter really) I feel as if a truck ran me over.

When I stop my medications for 3-5 days, like a new man! I sleep and I wake properly.

Havn't tried any sleeping aids - cause I dont need them when I'm going natural. I dont wanna add new drugs on the ones I already have to take.

Is melatonin working for you?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-12, 08:34 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 6,177 Times in 3,421 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I have awful insomnia, always have, so no, melatonin doesn't work for me.

If you don't take your last dose, how do you sleep/wake up? And so you know, melatonin isn't a drug, it's a natural chemical our bodies create, and in low doses, can help reestablish a messed up sleep cycle.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 07-29-12, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

I have always had sleep problems. My sleep cycle is insane, I really need to try melatonin I have read about it. I tried Benadryl and it worked great at first but then I found where one worked the first night I had to take two the next and so on, to where in a few days it stopped working so I have just stopped it since increasing at that rate seemed at bit alarming.

I have been reading about insomnia and sleep cycles lately and the big thing seems to be trying to be consistent with what time you go to bed and get up and have a routine, but of course that is a challenge. I believe I will try melatonin, the big point I did read about it is that for it to work best you do have to take it for a few days before you see the maximum benefits.

For me in the mornings/daytime I always seem out of it and usually my mind comes alive at night even when unmedicaited.
Old 07-31-12, 02:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Well I gave it a few shots to check things out ... although already did planty of times in the past.

When I'm medicated (whether my last dose is at 2pm or 6pm) I can't wake up easily. I can get to bed as normally as I would do any night (whether with the meds or completely without them). I could take a dose and fall asleep 1-2 hours later easily.

However, waking up is giving me a hard time. When I'm not medicated (and at least 2-3 days have past since last dosage) I wake up just fine. In fact, going to sleep at 23:30-24:00 and I wake up pretty refreshed 06:00-06:30. On meds? All hell breaks loose. I feel drowsy, tired.

As if I had battles in my sleep. As if I had dreams that literally kept me up all night. I do remember my dreams (quite often). Maybe I even other dreams I dont recall that keep me turning and tossing .. but I dont know what to do.
Old 08-02-12, 12:34 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

Hmmm, I know that this might sound radical. But have you ever tried sleeping while on the Ritalin? I know, it seems counterproductive...stimulants and sleeping...but I can fall asleep like a champ when it's in my system. Some people are just like that.

It's food for thought anyways. I have a hard time falling asleep normally and for a while I was alternating between Tylenol PM (for a healthy coma-sleep! LOL) and 6mg of Melatonin. I would most often do the melatonin though so the Tylenol didn't make my liver shot or anything like that.

But there are definitely a bunch of over the counter sleep aids like:

*ZZZ-quil
*Nyquil
*Benadryl
*Tylenol PM
*Melatonin (natural supplement)

And basically anything else with diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. It's a potent anti-histamine basically.

The only other thing I can suggest right now is try cutting your last dose of the day in half. Maybe you need to give your body a little chance to start to wind down before sleepy time! haha

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and has ADHD? This moi.
Old 08-02-12, 08:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,357 Times in 7,819 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

have you considered a sleep study?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?