ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-29-12, 08:24 PM

Herhant257 is on a distinguished road
Advice on how to get a refill (new script) filled significantly early?

I have looked for answers to this question through searching but given the nature of the question, searching for it results in an excessive amount of unrelated information.

I have been on 20mg generic adderall 2x a day for almost two years now.

Every script has been filled by a physician at the university health center I go to. First by the psychiatrist for a few months, then by the family med physician I have been seeing since. When my GP is out, I see another family med physician who works right next to him.

I have filled every single script at the university health center. I have had the same health insurance since I first started attending here.

I did have an issue with "you can't refill this so soon" when I tried to refill an ambien (generic) script like 6 days early.

I have in fact refilled my adderall scripts early but usually no more than 5-6 days early. I often call and tell them why I need to fill it early.

However, my last script was written on July 13th. I filled it that day.
I am leaving the university on August 1st and will not be returning until August 20th. I will have enough to last me until like August 17th but my health insurance ends August 14th and I am actually unsure as to whether or not I will be using the student health insurance or getting a new provider so waiting until classes start (20th) is risky for me.

I am seeing the doctor who sees me when my doctor is away tomorrow. Fact is, "my" doctor is actually really understanding. I am not even sure how the doctor I am seeing tomorrow for a significantly early refill script will react.

Refilling it when I am home is possible but a real pain because the nearest pharmacy to where I will be staying is like a 45 minute drive away.

Now, I brought this up to my normal doctor on the 13th. He told me to come in and see him before the end of the month to see about getting my a script to hold me over till the new semester. However, he is gone so I have to see the other doctor.

Assuming the fill in doctor I am seeing writes me a script (she has written me scripts for adderall in the past, just never this early), how can I go about getting it filled before I leave on the 1st?

Would I be able to go to a different pharmacy and try to pay out of pocket or will they have a record. I am not sure if there is some sort of national pharmacy database they use to track controlled substances.
Old 07-29-12, 08:29 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,134 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on how to get a refill (new script) filled significantly early?

depending on state laws, you might not be able to. I do know that when I've changed my dose, I've been able to fill script early. I can usually fill 5 days or so before first script runs out otherwise.

The only thing I can think of, if getting prescription filled early is an issue, is to keep the same dose but maybe get it in a different mg.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 07-29-12, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
depending on state laws, you might not be able to. I do know that when I've changed my dose, I've been able to fill script early. I can usually fill 5 days or so before first script runs out otherwise.

The only thing I can think of, if getting prescription filled early is an issue, is to keep the same dose but maybe get it in a different mg.

I am in Florida.

I was thinking about asking my doctor to write a script for Adderall XR 30mg (I actually tried to get 2x 20mg Adderall XR and taking it once a day) and my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Still I would like to avoid that.

So trying a different pharmacy wouldn't work?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-12, 08:54 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,134 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with Florida and their monitoring programs, so I don't know. Maybe there is another member here who will have more info about how things work there.

I'm sorry

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 07-29-12, 09:32 PM

Thanked 8,841 Times in 2,740 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I don't care where you live.

Trying to get a refill "significantly early," puts you on the "Drug Seeking" list

in every state.

Going to a different pharmacy, makes it all the more so.

Point being, if you truly need the medication, you won't be able to get it;

ever.

(The best chance you have is to honestly explain the insurance situation and see what happens).

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-30-12), namazu (08-01-12), Spacemaster (08-05-12)
Old 07-29-12, 10:09 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

I don't really understand why you're asking about workaround ways to do this whe you've already indicated your regular doctor is cooperative, and your prescriptions are filled in-house at the university. The doctor on call should have access to your chart and your regular doctor's notes - if he or she agrees you have a legitimate need for a vacation supply, then they will probably work with you and affirm the prescription with the university pharmacist if there are any questions. As this is a student population, I'm sure this is a problem they've addressed before. When you leave town, are you leaving the state? Filling an out of state c-II Rx may be a problem, another good justification for requesting a vacation supply to be dispensed before you leave town even if your current supply has not run out.

FYI, Unless Florida law/regulation is more restrictive, the prescriber can legally write multiple prescriptions to be filled sequentially as long as the total supply does not exceed 90 days worth over a 90 day period. Each prescription is not limited to 30 days or any other number as long as the combined effect doesn't exceed 90 days supply. That's the outer limit of what DEA allows them to do, not necessarily what the state allows or what each doctor determines is in their patient's best interest.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/mult_rx_faq.htm
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fe...007/fr1119.htm - official DEA advisory responses and clarifications to Public questions regarding multiple prescriptions.

My suggestion is put a call in now to the on-call doctor and ask how they typically handle this.
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-01-12)
Old 07-29-12, 11:43 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
I don't care where you live.

Trying to get a refill "significantly early," puts you on the "Drug Seeking" list

in every state.

Going to a different pharmacy, makes it all the more so.

Point being, if you truly need the medication, you won't be able to get it;

ever.

(The best chance you have is to honestly explain the insurance situation and see what happens).

mctavish23

(Robert)
Robert, do you have any primary sources for this? I'm interested in trying to compile information about federal and state prescribing rules and this would be a great topic to include in some kind of wiki for it. Even if you only have info about your own state's controlled substance monitoring program, that would be great. I'm especially curious if it records or flags behavior that is legal but deemed suspicious, and what the specific consequences of flagging are.
Old 07-30-12, 12:12 AM
Jr Member

buknoy is on a distinguished road

Your insurance certainly won't cover this med without some over-ride from the DR, though this takes time, it's just a matter of the doc faxing a paper to the insurance. And you could try asking this other doc if he could do that...that's not a big deal, because people do take vacations and don't always take them right after refilling their meds, so the worst case here would be you having to pay for the med.

So, assuming that you'll pay out of pocket, there's really no need to refill early...unless you're filling the med early for some reason other than "being out of town."

Bottom line is, once the doc writes you the script, and you present the script to a pharmacist, that pharmacist is obliged to fill it as long as it's in stock and paid for...period. If the pharmacist refuses to fill it, only because of some personal reason, no doubt, then he's liable to the DEA and the State Board of Pharmacy. But instead of wasting all that time, you could simply visit some other store and find a pharmacist who'd be happy to take your money & fill it.

As for the database, whether it's national, and if it can be used against you or not? It has always been national from the DEA's eyes. But probably not from state to state, because a court order would be required to share your medical information without your consent. The DEA is only interested in illegal procuring, manufacturing, transporting, and selling; which equals meth labs, traffickers, dealers, and doctors. And for a lot of unfortunate people, their dealer is the doctor.

Selling or producing adderall is a crime, but doctor shopping for adderall scripts is not. Though you can get in trouble with your primary doc if he finds out and/or with your insurance company if you try to make them pay for a med and the matching dr visit, more than once in a month. Worst case here is that your doc can fire you as a patient, and your insurance company can simply refuse to pay.

Uhm...why do you need to fill early?
Old 07-30-12, 01:25 AM
Forum Guru

Agreeing with mctavish23 that going to a pharmacy where they don't know you is usually a new set of hassles, though I wouldn't say just going to a different pharmacy with a legally written prescription, --even with an early fill date-- would automatically put you on a no-dispense list. Many people have to go to different pharmacies during the shortages, for example, and it's a pattern of early fills that's a problem, not just one.

It's more a matter of what the doctor can legally prescribe in your state, and is comfortable prescribing to you. If the university pharmacy can't legally fill it, neither can any other pharmacy in your state. (Now, what a pharmacy can legally do, and what they say or think they can legally do, is not always the same thing. Not that arguing with them at the counter will get you anywhere - that's something you'd have to take up with corporate.)

To be completely practical here, OP, it sounds like your only concrete need here is for an extra few days supply to bridge the gap from the 17th to the 20th when you return to FL and have your next appointment. (Hope you've already made that appointment, by the way, because the health center is probably going to be slammed first week of the semester.) If you're unsuccessful in getting a prescription for a vacation supply, stretching your remaining 3 weeks supply to last a few extra days is doable for most people. Unfair and frustrating, but possibly less stressful than fighting the system.
Old 07-30-12, 02:52 AM
Jr Member

buknoy is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but to answer more specifically.. The subject of the post is "have a new script" & "advice how to get it filled early."

Well, the only way to get a (new script) from a new doctor is to come up with a new scenario. Because, legally, a new doctor could not write a "new script" (which means thirty days) for a Schedule II controlled substance, knowing that his new patient already has enough adderall until 8/11 at the very least (but in this scenario, it's actually until the "17th, or so"). And if H257 overdoses? This new doctor would be held liable...legally.

So, new doctor, new scenario, to get the new script, but with the same dilema:
how to get it filled significantly early?

As in my prior post, you can fill it at any pharmacy you like. Database or no database, suspicious drug-seeking or not, it's only the illegal selling, manufacture, transport, and procurement that makes it a crime.

Which begs the question (probably the real question): how to get new script filled significantly early without getting in trouble?

Answer: very carefully
Old 07-30-12, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,642 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

prayer

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-30-12)
Old 07-30-12, 09:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,134 Times in 3,629 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
prayer
You gets it
Old 07-31-12, 12:20 PM

Well apperantly my normal (lets call him my internist) didn't write the note that he told me to come in before the end of the month.

He is out till August 6th (I leave tomorrow).

The doctor who was seeing his few patients (university health center sees very few people in the summer) said she would not write me a script.

So I am out.

I actually decided to go off it till I get back.

So yesterday didn't take any and not going to take any until August 20th.

Now I have a new issue.

When will these intense withdrawal symptoms fade.

So tired. Worked out yesterday but wow. Supposed to workout today I don't know how I even got out of bed this morning.
Old 07-31-12, 04:12 PM
Forum Guru

You suddenly think you don't need your medication? Where's that coming from? Are you trying to make a point to the doctor who let you down?
Old 08-02-12, 04:18 AM

BoredWes is on a distinguished road

withdrawal effects usually go away after 2-3 days, specifically the fatigue. The bigger problem will be getting past the side effects when you start taking your meds again.

I know it's past your deadline and you probably already left town, but insurance companies will generally approve prescriptions early if the mg is different. For instance, when starting me on vyvance my pdoc prescribed me 50mg at first and then a week later upped it to 60. My insurance company had no issue with approving the script since this was apart of my treatment plan and I had pre-approval for vyvanse and all related amphetamine type medications. I didn't have to see him for another sessions, I just called him and let him know the issues I was having with the effectiveness and he left the new script with his secretary (even offered to mail it).

Now I'm unsure if your doctor would knowingly do this just to try and get your meds approved by your insurance.

My recommendation would be to have the doc write a script for 1-2 weeks instead of 30 days and just pay for it out of pocket, that way you're covered and you don't have to worry about trying to beat the system.