ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 07-30-12, 10:14 AM
Contributor

shamrock has a spectacular aura aboutshamrock has a spectacular aura about
Are we the dementia patients of the future?

Sorry to be so dark but I had a hugely symptomatic day yesterday to the point where I actually scared myself.

Heavily symptomatic Add PI /(possible sct) and early alzheimers symptoms are just too close for comfort some days.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shamrock For This Useful Post:
Flory (07-30-12), markadd (07-30-12), MX2012 (08-08-12), phantasm (07-31-12), Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-30-12, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

BohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really niceBohoButterfly is just really nice
Re: Are we the dementia patients of the future?

I know what you mean- i was thinking about this after reading that alzheimers medication could be beneficial in treating ADHD.
If it makes you feel any better, apparently scientists/doctors have developed a test that could detect the disease as early as ten or so years before symptoms even occur!
I don't know what stage this testing is at, but i think it will be available soon. I'm using internet on my phone atm, otherwise i'd look it up and post some links for you.
We are at a stage where medicine is making advances that seem to suggest alzheimers and dementia will not be the doom sentences they have been anymore, and in fact i think it was on this forum that i read that a lady actually developed some treatment that seemed to roll back the degeneration of these diseases- don't fret about it!
Sorry, i know im not much help, but i wanted to post something to try and make you feel a bit better- and adhd doesnt mean you're going to lose your marbles! We all have days like this. Or at least, i do. Sometimes i think i have brain damage or something, but its just my adhd symptoms combined with a low day.

xxBB

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing." -Albert Einstein

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to BohoButterfly For This Useful Post:
phantasm (07-31-12)
Old 07-30-12, 11:20 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,818 Times in 9,213 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

There is a 3x higher chance of developing Lewy body dementia if you have ADHD.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/736865
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-31-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-12, 12:45 PM

Thanked 10,040 Times in 3,160 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

If so, then I'm toast.

Oh well.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-31-12)
Old 07-30-12, 02:45 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

It was hard to determine if my grandmother was slipping into senility because in her prime she would do things such as putting the coffee pot in the ice box.
As for me ADD has effortlessly slid right into 40 something CRS -- Can't Remember Sh*te.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-30-12, 02:48 PM

Avalanche will become famous soon enough

Don't worry. Statistically 85% of those over 90 something are demented.
Old 07-30-12, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,951 Times in 2,465 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

a bunch of my friends were talking about dementia recently as many of our parents are going that way.

We decided the best thing to do was club together and buy a hotel. Gibbering lunacy being the norm in remote Scottish bars, one could happily go demented without anyone batting an eyelid.

kilted
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
BohoButterfly (07-30-12), myst1c1 (08-08-12), phantasm (07-31-12), Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-30-12, 07:08 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I am the dementia patient of the present. As for the future, well at this rate I am screwed.

I have old folks at my store who forget to give me their check, or accidentally throw away their prescriptions right after they get them, leave their purses in the car, etc. They get flustered and blame it on old age, so I tell them "Oh don't worry about it, I do things like that all the time!" I usually get the response, "You're too young for that!"
Oh lady, you have no idea...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (07-31-12), Flory (07-30-12), markadd (07-30-12), mctavish23 (07-31-12), namazu (08-01-12), phantasm (07-31-12), purpleToes (07-31-12), Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-30-12, 08:17 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

gah, if that's the case, how early is "early onset"? coz yesterday, I felt like my grandmother used to act when she was in the early stages of dementia/alzheimers.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-30-12, 09:53 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

When I visited my grandmother, who was living in an assisted living apartment, as she showing me around the apartment shamefacedly showed me the check list on her door asking if the burners on the stove were off etc. I said there wasn't anything to be ashamed of -- I had a similar one on my door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
I feel like I am the dementia patient of the present. As for the future, well at this rate I am screwed.

I have old folks at my store who forget to give me their check, or accidentally throw away their prescriptions right after they get them, leave their purses in the car, etc. They get flustered and blame it on old age, so I tell them "Oh don't worry about it, I do things like that all the time!" I usually get the response, "You're too young for that!"
Oh lady, you have no idea...
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
BR549 (08-01-12), Drewbacca (07-30-12), namazu (08-01-12), phantasm (07-31-12), silivrentoliel (07-31-12), Spacemaster (07-31-12), Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-30-12, 09:56 PM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

that's the thing ....I have no family to fall back on, and not even enough money to "retire" ...haven't worked enough quarters to get ANY Social Security ....

if I get the big A .....what on earth will become of me ?.....scares the bejabbers out of me.....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
phantasm (07-31-12)
Old 07-30-12, 10:17 PM

Thanked 10,521 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Im already demented
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (08-01-12)
Old 07-31-12, 12:21 AM

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

I wonder the same thing. Have mercy.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
LaMbaL (08-01-12)
Old 07-31-12, 12:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

I think half of us are already demented

We may not be able to find our way out of a paper bag, but we can design nuclear sunglasses.

Everything can be a gift, depending on how you look at it.

You don't like me? That's funny, because I don't live to please you.
Old 07-31-12, 05:51 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,537 Times in 1,944 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Dementia is degeneration right? So how can something that doesn't work in the first place degenerate?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
artymom (08-05-12), BohoButterfly (07-31-12), shamrock (08-05-12), silivrentoliel (07-31-12), Spacemaster (07-31-12), stef (08-01-12), Unmanagable (08-01-12)