ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-10-12, 01:26 PM

lifehappens292 is on a distinguished road
So Tired and Sleepy on Adderall Though I'm Still Able to Concentrate

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a definite and scientific reason as to why I feel soooo tired and sleepy right after taking Adderall and can explain the possible science behind it. I would love it if you got really technical since I am a neuroscience major.

It's definitely not because I didn't get enough sleep. It happens whether I get 5 hours of sleep or 10 hours of sleep.

About 30 minutes after taking 10 mg of Adderall IR, I suddenly start yawning, feeling so lethargic and tired like I could fall asleep the moment I put my head down. I can still concentrate and get my work done but I just feel so tired and will yawn nonstop for about 2 hours. Then, the yawning and extreme fatigue fades away but an hour later, I have to take another dose of Adderall or else I'm not able to concentrate at all.

I was under the impression that Adderall makes you really alert and energetic but it's the complete opposite for me. I turn into a very efficient and patient zombie who doesn't want to be social but is amazing at keeping conversations going and making people like her more while on Addy. I also feel like time has slowed down (I guess because I don't lose track of time like when I don't take Adderall) and that my limbs feel heavier (tired feeling).

I also have no appetite but I make sure to eat every other hour and keep my blood sugar high so that I don't get headaches or feel faint.

I was also under the impression that Adderall gives you a "high" but I don't feel any happier. I just have about 30 minutes in which I feel extremely confident and competent but that goes away pretty quickly.

Speaking of feeling tired, I have no problem falling asleep at night unless I drink a cup of coffee while taking Adderall and then suddenly I'm up until 4 in the morning and can't wake up in the morning.

Anyways, I'm also taking Lamotrigine for my Bipolar Disorder Type II (it's an anti-convulsant and acts presynaptically on voltage dependent sodium channels and it inhibits the release of glutamate and aspartate.) There is apparently no drug interaction between Lamotrigine or Adderall (according to my psychiatrist and various sources).

Can someone please help me out and explain and also give me suggestions on how I can prevent it? If there is nothing for me to do, then I will just have to live with it since the benefits outweigh the negatives sooooo much.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-12, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,958 Times in 6,762 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So Tired and Sleepy on Adderall Though I'm Still Able to Concentrate

It could be that your dose is to low.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?