ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-05-04, 07:25 PM

privateeye475 is on a distinguished road
Talking any one in the police academy or a police officer here

i was wondering i want to go to the police academy and just wanted to no if there was any police officers with add that had it when they went through the class and what kinds of challenge is it and what kind of challenge is your day to day job dutys thanks
Old 12-06-04, 08:42 AM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
Cool found 2 posts for ya

Welcome to ADD Forums privateeye!

Did a quick search for posts w/'police' and found pages upon pages...but no more time to weed thru them. Here's a copy of one I thought you might find interesting.

"My ADHD son is 33 and has a degree in Communications and Psychology. He has had about 20 jobs in his lifetime (or more) and was never able to feel satisfied with anything. He is finally in the police academy and feels settled and fulfilled like he never has before. He's excellent with computers, but always told us that it would be too boring for him to do everyday. I guess you just have to ultimately follow your dreams even when others think you can do better somewhere else...ADHD people are very apt to stumble through until they find their heighth of interest!"

searching 'detective' in new member intros (I thought I remembered this one!!!)

"Never a clean desk! Kloogye from NY intro

Hello All,
I'm 50 yrs young but not a day over 20. God fearing and church going, 21 years a cop and 34 years a volunteer fireman (past Chief, Asst Chief, 4 Lieut positions, President, VP, secretary, treasurer every position available I've held and still doing it in a suburb of NYC, I can't stop). I ride a Harley. I am not trying to blow my own horn and I think hope this group understands it. My 20 year old son has been diagnosed w ADD 12 years ago. Attending sessions with him there is no doubt I have the same. As a cop I was always on the move, now a detective and working mostly from a desk I haven't seen the top of it for approx 6 years when I got it. I can't keep it clean no matter how hard I try. I can't work on just one investigation no matter how hard I try. As it piles up the bottom ones are forgotten. I try reaching down for the older ones but as I peel off the paper layers I move them to another pile and the process continues on a daily basis. My cube is surrounded by patches from departments from all over the world, pictures and awards, several calendars and anything else I can fit. A fellow coworker who recently joined my division looked at my desk and asked "What must be running through your head". If I could only tell him. I cant complain, I have been blessed throughout my life and still am. I like to read and when I finally get going (after about a dozen rereads) I latch on and never let go. The music is playing in the background and sometimes the TV is on too. At work my AM radio is talking, my FM radio is singing and the TV is reporting and I can pick out something from all of them. At this stage of the game can things be different. Can I open a book and begin reading it on the first try? Can I talk with people and sincerely look at them, follow the conversation and comprehend them without looking through them at the spider moving up the wall or tuning into a radio playing or another conversation that doesn't concern me? Can I focus on one project at work, complete it and "then" start another? Can I concentrate and still be able to sleep at night? Open all those locked doors and still want to ride my bike, respond to fires and be a good cop? The medication part scares me..."

You may want to PM Christine7777 or Kloogye although I'm not sure last time either posted.
Best of luck to you, shouldn't be a boring job!

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 12-06-04, 03:46 PM

RUBICONCOWBOY is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this.!!!!

I just Took a Career Evaluation and scored really high for this type of career change.

Never thought I could do it with my ADHD,

But this is opening my eye's to a big MAYBE.********************* ******

I get along with most Correctional Officers and Police,

Any Peace Officers out there please post how you got past the ADD/ADHD stuff
like remembering all the call codes,
the paper work

"staying Organized"

Thanks Inadvanced

1."You are either with me or against me".

2."A house that is divided ,will perish". from Bible.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-04, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
My uncle and several of my cousins are ADD/ADHD and have held jobs in law enforcement and excelled. My uncle said he's never make to lt. but it only took him 3 years to achieve the rank so never say never is my advice. Give it your best and put your best foot forward, heart and courage is what a good cop requires.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 12-07-04, 04:57 PM

RUBICONCOWBOY is on a distinguished road
Talking Thank-You------:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking_Futs
My uncle and several of my cousins are ADD/ADHD and have held jobs in law enforcement and excelled. My uncle said he's never make to lt. but it only took him 3 years to achieve the rank so never say never is my advice. Give it your best and put your best foot forward, heart and courage is what a good cop requires.

I was and Am looking into it as we type,
POST acadamy dont want to know as far as i can tell from my digging,

sec 2 under head/mental disorders,my wording not theres lol.

I'll procede and look into it more.
glad i took all those career test's and such now.

What state did your uncle happen to live in>

California is crazy picky now ,becasuse of the BAD things just a few peace officers have did in the past.

Think they did "over aggression" and" even rape too."

I better go,I'm still at college.

Thanks again.

1."You are either with me or against me".

2."A house that is divided ,will perish". from Bible.
Old 12-11-04, 10:33 AM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
My uncle started in the LAPD then moved onto the sherrifs depart. My cousin's started in the sherrifs depart.

I know that the research you've probably done already doesn't make things seem promising but remember this is your life and your destiny...the pages are blank, how you fill them is up to you. And remember my advice still stands...it's all in the heart the answers are always found in your heart and soul.

Good luck and don't let words on a page distract you from your dreams.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 12-12-04, 06:25 PM

privateeye475 is on a distinguished road
Talking thanks for the replys

my problem will be is going to school i was a correction officer in ky for 2 yrs till me and my wife moved back home to ohio but im almost 30 and i want to be a cop but my problem is going to school i want to go to school full time but cant because of bills so i have to work i was told add/adhd/and lerning disabilty gets a grant fo school that will pay for school and bills does anyone no anything about that or who should i talk to about it

and thanks again
Old 12-13-04, 10:44 AM

I don't know of any grants off the top of my head; but, my first step would be speaking to the school I wanted to attend. I'm sure they'll have a lot more information then myself. Good luck.

Old 10-08-08, 09:41 AM
Jr Member

living_stones is on a distinguished road
Re: any one in the police academy or a police officer here

bump...bump
Old 10-14-08, 12:16 AM

Coldhandedman will become famous soon enough

I went through the academy and graduated, but I was probably on the most likely to fail list. I ended up being the smart azz and the one that pizzed a lot of higher ups off. I struggled though FTO (field training), and was eventually asked to resign or be fired due to certain things that I did.

I was labeled as "unteachable" and "challenging authority" while going through the academy, but I did really good when it came to tests. (studied the night before) I have a somewhat self proclaimed photographic memory (not anything too crazy, but I can take stuff in, in a short amount of time)

I wasn't on medication during it, and I think I would have had to been on a medication that I KNEW was working, for it to work out for me.

I'm not saying that it wont work out for others because clearly it does, but just make sure it is in check first. It left a bitter taste in my mouth because how I felt I was treated.

I have 33 credits towards an associated degree in Criminal Justice, and a Nevada Category 1 POST with nothing to do with it unless I wanted to TRY and join another department in Nevada. Don't see it happening.

It is a lot to take in and a lot of things to learn. I struggled with Officer Safety (understanding when something was more serious that it was) but people with ADHD tend to not be the safest persons on the planet.

Anyways, that is my story.
Old 10-14-08, 12:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

DesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really nice

I have an ADHD friend who works for the sheriff's office. I can't remember if he was diagnosed before or after that. He was also on the volunteer fire dept, interestingly.

Mainly I wanted to point out that there are many careers in law enforcement that are not "the officer on the street in a patrol car". If the field really interests you that strongly, you could pursue one of those. ADHD may be less of an issue for those.

It's odd that diagnosed and treated issues would count against you, when undiagnosed ones wouldn't. "That ain't right".
---! I need to update this. I'll put that on the list

No, I don't proofread my postings. I type, I click submit. Then cringe if I go back & read it later.
Old 02-02-11, 01:32 AM

badge463 is on a distinguished road

I currently work as a police officer in northern California. I have been a police officer for 14 years, and I recently learned that I have a mild form of ADD, which has caused me to have some administrative troubles. I was hoping to possibly speak with some other officers that may have experienced some of the same administrative problems and learned ways to not only save, but improve their careers.
Old 03-20-11, 03:02 PM

Addbc1 is on a distinguished road

Hello badge463, can relate.
7 years experience, great out in the field but paperwork - Gawd Help Me!
Please respond.
Old 05-24-13, 04:25 PM
Jr Member

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

i have been an officer in a very large dept in the east coast for the past decade . i have add, i take strattera a non stimulant works mild at best but does the job. it also will not show up on drug tests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rftn10 For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-24-13)
Old 06-14-13, 07:32 AM
Jr Member

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

Secondly , there are many officers with ADHD, some like myself don't report it to my agency for fear of discrimination. So you won't be the first or last. But you should worry about bureaucrats telling you you can't do the job because off add.