ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-12, 07:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond repute
The Purpose of ADDF

I am trying to work out what this forum is trying to achieve?

The website title says that it is a "Support and Information Resources Community"

I understand the "support" part, but what exactly does "information resources community" mean??
Old 08-14-12, 07:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,545 Times in 13,423 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Purpose of ADDF

I was always under the impression that the information shared was from a layman's point of view and for people to connect and get some answers. Considering that you tend to offer an extraordinary amount of information I figured you got that.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-14-12), crystal8080 (08-14-12), Fortune (08-14-12), Luvmybully (08-14-12), sarek (08-14-12), Spacemaster (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 08:46 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,723 Times in 8,885 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I was always under the impression that the information shared was from a layman's point of view and for people to connect and get some answers. Considering that you tend to offer an extraordinary amount of information I figured you got that.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 08:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,913 Times in 7,988 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean John? It doesn't anywhere say the information has to be accurate. However, I'm not sure what is puzzling you, can you elaborate?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-14-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 11:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCG View Post
I am trying to work out what this forum is trying to achieve?

The website title says that it is a "Support and Information Resources Community"

I understand the "support" part, but what exactly does "information resources community" mean??
Information resources community. A community that has, provides, or discusses information resources. I've been using this forum rampantly for this purpose. Links to studies, amateur opinions, professional opinions, personal experiences, updates on research, trials with alternative medications, etc.

Google and myself alone can only get so far.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Verile For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-14-12), Dizfriz (08-14-12), ginniebean (08-14-12), julesjampot (08-14-12), Jynical (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12), Spacemaster (08-14-12), Unmanagable (08-15-12)
Old 08-14-12, 12:38 PM

Thanked 21,913 Times in 7,988 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Verile, I hope you've seen this thread.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...8&postcount=16
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-14-12), Drewbacca (08-14-12), Jynical (08-15-12), Verile (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The term "information resources" is a concern because it has an objective, authoritative ring about it, that is quite misleading.

But, as you point out, most of the ADHD "information" provided on the forums is merely the untutored subjective opinion or personal anecdotes of lay persons. Only (literally) a handful of contributors have a sufficiently solid knowledge and understanding of the science of ADHD from which accurate advice can be offered in response to queries from the public.

The way I see it, this is a serious concern.

For instance, looking through a cross-section of the posts recently, in particular, those on the topic of the differences between the ADHD-C and ADHD-PI subtypes, I was surprised at the general level of general ignorance in the content of most of the posts I read.Furthermore some of the misinformation posted is scripted in quite a confident and plausible manner; as though the authors , despite speaking absolute rubbish, were indeed speaking about the scientific facts relating to ADHD "ex cathedra".

Apart from the fact that laypersons swapping, among themselves, what they think are "facts" about ADHD is an inherently a meaningless activity that serves no constructive purpose (i.e; is a total waste of time), it is not, unfortunately, necessarily a BENIGN activity.

That is, the posting and exchange of uncensored misinformation about the nature, diagnosis and treatment of a serious psychiatric disorder like ADHD by self-annointed "experts" ( often persons mentally ill themselves) on a public website like ADDF can obviously have very harmful consequences, especially for more guillable and naive members of the public.

Finally, from the perspective of advocacy, a forum like ADDF- largely and ineluctably riddled with false (and potentially dangerous) information and all sorts of other bizarre , random, foolish, etc; misconceptions and misrepresentations relating to the disorder - is surely more a serious liability than an asset of any kind??

What do you think??
Old 08-14-12, 03:32 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that purpose of ADDF is to discuss the personal and social impact of AD(H)D -- except that it falls down there too. Far too much "if we do not discuss it, it doesn't happen" for my taste.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 04:05 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

If you're concerned that calling it an "information resources community" is misleading, I think the name "ADDForums" provides all the disclaimer we need. "Forums" implies that anyone can post here saying things that may or may not be true (so read at your own risk), and ADD implies that we tend to get off topic and that not everything here is super informative
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pooka For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (08-14-12), Fuzzy12 (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-14-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12), RedHairedWitch (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 04:14 PM

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, John, I don't see where this is a problem worth making any changes over. I agree that misinformation can be dangerous but it isn't really the responsibility of this support community to police the internet. We have to assume that most readers are capable of determining good information from the bad on their own. A source of information can be blatantly biased and misinformed, but if such a source gives information which is in agreement with one's opinion, they are likely to follow the advise regardless of merit.

In such a case, I believe that the best thing that we can do is provide an opposing point of view and let the reader come to his/her own conclusions. No one is going to be converted away from a strongly held belief or even the most nonsensical pseudoscience based on anything that any one of us states. I believe that the real danger is when all of us give credence to any one specific point of view which may present the false perception that a given perspective is the only correct one.

Overall, members here seem to back up their understanding of facts with links/references and thus the accountability of information falls back to the original source anyways. When any of the regular members here incorrectly state an idea or concept, they seem to be called out on it. Unfortunately, sometimes this doesn't happen right away. I recently commented on a thread that was revived after a couple years have passed since the initial post; in which, a blatantly incorrect statement was made regarding how to increase the rate that the body processes an amphetamine for the sake of getting it out of the system. The problem with the specific thread was that it was attributed to an article from a medical doctor whom was either made up or clearly misinterpreted (as the information provided was a direct contradiction to Shire's own paperwork). Regardless, no harm would have come to anyone who took such advise so it's not really a big deal that an incorrect statement went ignored for so long.

It seems to me, that where facts are concerned, most of us will own up to what we know and what we don't know. I don't believe that anyone is attempting to save face by providing bad information and then defending it as a pure act of ego. Where posters seem to hold strong opinions, it is usually clear that they are in fact only opinions.

As far as what has been said recently regarding ADHD-PI and ADHD-C, the entire debate really just came down to a subjective understanding of the difficulties in life stemming from our unique disorder (or combination of disorders). The thread took a turn for the worse but I don't see where it put out any bad information.

It's a difficult topic to discuss anyways, given the current transitory state of the diagnosis away from the more specific subtypes. Even given clarification once DSM5 is published, it still just comes down to a classification system. Unless we have specific biomarkers and a specific understanding of what separates one type of ADHD from another, it's nothing more than an arbitrary classification system not unlike Linnaean taxonomy (in which boundaries are now being rewritten given DNA information which allows for a better classification and a clearer view of likely evolutionary patterns).

I don't think that ADHD-PI vs ADHD-C is really a great example because of the transition. The DSM-IV is fairly clear what the differences are although some of the defining qualities are vague. I can only speak for myself, but when I cite the specifics, I don't mince words or get creative with what the terminology means. In a more casual conversation, on the other hand, I will allow myself to be a bit more open to interpretation. The purpose of this openness being to look for commonality with other members, rather than going off on an academic tangent. From my perspective, the point in a lot of these conversations is to pinpoint our similarities and our differences in a way that goes beyond the academic literature and the diagnostic criteria. No one should be putting much weight on such a comment. To an ADHD adult, what is the difference between combined and hyperactive anyways? I mean, if true-hyperactivity is only a child's symtom than the distinction is worthless to an adult... at least in any well defined way. Likewise with inattention between the combined type and the primarily inattentive, it's difficult to clearly define some of the differences. It is also difficult to fully eliminate potential comorbid disorders and/or straight personality differences. Please note, I'm not trying to debate the classification; I'm simply providing a sample.

The only thing that I believe is really dangerous to the average reader is when someone is seeking advise on diagnosis or prescription that would be better left to a discussion with the doctor and/or pharmacist. It's hard to say where that dividing line is, however, and each case must be dealt with on its own merit.

Besides, if something is so controversial as to simply be a debate... then it should be moved to the debates section by a moderator. If the problem that you suggest is in fact a problem, we already have the solution built into the forum itself.

I think it's a good discussion topic, none the less. Thank you for your insight.

~Drew
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-14-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12), RedHairedWitch (08-14-12), tazoz (08-15-12), Verile (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 04:16 PM

Thanked 23,960 Times in 11,086 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought this page in the forum guidelines makes it pretty clear what kind of information we can expect to see on this discussion forum:

Quote:
Legal/Medical Disclaimer
The advice offered in the ADD Forums, is for informational and support purposes only. This advice is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this forum, or on any related web site! Advice given on this forum is the opinion of the individual posting it, and not necessarily the opinion of ADD Forums.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15844

There are certainly plenty of other resources if you want something more "authoratative and legitimate" than what you'll find here.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-14-12), CheekyMonkey (08-14-12), Dizfriz (08-14-12), Drewbacca (08-14-12), Luvmybully (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12), namazu (08-14-12), RedHairedWitch (08-14-12), sarahsweets (08-14-12), Spacemaster (08-14-12), tazoz (08-15-12)
Old 08-14-12, 07:20 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Being a subjective understanding, multiple -- legitimate -- conclusions can be arrived using the same anecdotal sources...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
As far as what has been said recently regarding ADHD-PI and ADHD-C, the entire debate really just came down to a subjective understanding of the difficulties in life stemming from our unique disorder (or combination of disorders).
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (08-15-12)
Old 08-14-12, 07:47 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,073 Times in 9,331 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

It's true, people can be badly misinformed and propagate misinformation here. There's not much you can do about it except offer corrections where appropriate.

For example, there have been a few threads where someone wanted to completely change ADHD's categorization and link it to a disorder that actually has very little in common with ADHD. If someone can do that without breaking the forum guidelines, there's not much to be done.

Two phrases come to mind upon reading the OP's further contributions to this thread:

"Physician, heal thyself."

and

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Last edited by Fortune; 08-14-12 at 08:02 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-15-12), Jynical (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12), Spacemaster (08-14-12), tazoz (08-15-12)
Old 08-14-12, 08:52 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

Fortune

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
Fortune (08-15-12), Jynical (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-14-12)
Old 08-14-12, 11:52 PM

Thanked 10,071 Times in 3,170 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

There are certainly elements of truth to what John is saying.

My (personal) experience is that there are a great many FORUM members with

considerable experience and expertise to share; which they do so thanklessly.

Whenever weird, incongruent, or irrational "information" comes in through whichever

"door" happens to be open at the time, I believe a number of members "jump in" to

help curtail the spread of potentially harmful "misinformation."

While that's impossible to control, I sincerely believe it does get addressed.

Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-19-12), Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-15-12), Fortune (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-15-12), Spacemaster (08-15-12), tazoz (08-15-12), Unmanagable (08-15-12)