ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-16-12, 02:19 PM

CriticalPath is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Adderall-did not show up on my drug test!?!

This may not sound problematic, however it is. Adderall, which as anyone perscribed it knows it is in the amphetamine class of drugs. I switched over to a new physician who is closer to my work as of recent and as a new patient I let her know it has been about 2 years since I have had a full blood work-up and request to know where we stand. IE the usual suspects of a CBC, cholesterol screening and she did order a DOA, which is a drug screening UA. (new patient taking controlled substance-no problem, no offense) To be even more exact as per Quest diagnostics the panel is #29423, which does specifically screen for amphetamine in the system. I take 20xr in the morning and then a 10mg booster dose in the afternoon-everyday.

With exception to the 2 days that I do not work, sometimes I forget to take the afternoon dose on those days-not always but on occasion. With that being said, it seems next to impossible for my system to test NEGATIVE for even a trace of amphetamine. (I do not drink copious amounts of water either) My new physician as of today informed me that they will not be writing me any more scripts for controlled substances, my Adderall. I did request that she send me for another test, maybe a blood test would be more accurate??? I was told very curtly that they will get back to me on that decision. I am so flabergasted I do not know what to do. My only conjecture is that they think I am not taking my meds and giving them away or worse yet-dare I even write it-doing something monitarily with it. Either case I vehemently deny. Has this happened to anyone out there? Does anyone have any insite on this matter? This is monumentally upsetting to me, and I really can not understand how this could happen. Please advise. With Sincere thanks.

Last edited by APSJ; 08-16-12 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: added paragraph break
Old 08-17-12, 06:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

starrykitten will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall-did not show up on my drug test!?!

What's your dosage of Adderall and release form (XR or IR)?

I'm not sure why I'm asking as I'm not sure either! I just checked a few sources and they all say that Adderall should show up as an amphetamine. Maybe if you drink gallons of water, it won't show up, but that's the only thing I can think of. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Old 08-17-12, 08:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,409 Times in 7,408 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this. Its sounds ridiculous. I dont know why a negative drug test is bad. I eliminate amphetamines super quick so I would imagine that I would show up negative if it had been a few days. Any chance of finding another doctor or your old one?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-12, 09:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,368 Times in 7,739 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalPath View Post
This may not sound problematic, however it is. Adderall, which as anyone perscribed it knows it is in the amphetamine class of drugs. I switched over to a new physician who is closer to my work as of recent and as a new patient

I let her know it has been about 2 years since I have had a full blood work-up and request to know where we stand. IE the usual suspects of a CBC, cholesterol screening and she did order a DOA, which is a drug screening UA. (new patient taking controlled substance-no problem, no offense) To be even more exact as per Quest diagnostics the panel is #29423, which does specifically screen for amphetamine in the system. I take 20xr in the morning and then a 10mg booster dose in the afternoon-everyday.

With exception to the 2 days that I do not work, sometimes I forget to take the afternoon dose on those days-not always but on occasion. With that being said, it seems next to impossible for my system to test NEGATIVE for even a trace of amphetamine. (I do not drink copious amounts of water either)

My new physician as of today informed me that they will not be writing me any more scripts for controlled substances, my Adderall. I did request that she send me for another test, maybe a blood test would be more accurate??? I was told very curtly that they will get back to me on that decision.

I am so flabergasted I do not know what to do. My only conjecture is that they think I am not taking my meds and giving them away or worse yet-dare I even write it-doing something monitarily with it. Either case I vehemently deny.

Has this happened to anyone out there? Does anyone have any insite on this matter? This is monumentally upsetting to me, and I really can not understand how this could happen. Please advise. With Sincere thanks.
I have seen quite a few threads here on this forum with posters saying the very same thing.

Some people apparently metabolize the meds much faster and it passes out of the body.

Some foods will cause it to pass out of the body faster.

I did a forum search for "urine test" and found these:
(there are even more if you want to search for yourself)

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ght=urine+test

Old 08-18-12, 09:46 AM

TeamKProd. will become famous soon enough

Wow! I've never heard of this but then I've never had this problem...But I could see how this could effect me in the future!

If I were you, I would seek a new doc. Remind the doc that you requested the test as well! I take the same dose as you and can see if this were a problem....hmm. Before I go for a screening like yours I'll buy a UA kit from Walgreens and check myself!
Old 08-19-12, 12:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough

I suggest you ask whether they ran a "Zero Tolerance" test, or just a simple "Negative/Positive" type test.

The first one has to be requested, since it appears to be illegal to look for traces of the substance, outside of some acceptable limit(which might be due to the intrinsic precision of the test?). On the other hand, the second one is a joke, and some people believe its accuracy is only about 98%, when it comes to false-positive results, and only about 96% for false-negative results, when it comes to quickly metabolized substances. You can look for the exact numbers online, I do not remember exactly off hand.

However, let's imagine you have a 100,000 people getting screened, and only about 1% actually has drugs in their system. You will have 20 out of 1000 false-positive test, and 3,960 out of 99,000 false negatives. This means that a positive test will have an accuracy of about 1000/3980 = 25%.

This similar pattern exists for all types of tests, and even the 99%+ accurate HIV tests only are correct 33% of the time when it comes to positive results. FALSE-POSITIVE TESTS
Old 08-24-12, 12:06 PM
Jr Member

sidearm45 is on a distinguished road

What kind of test did they do? A stick or a line in the cup test? When people test positive and challenge the accuracy of the test result the sample is sent out for further testing. The next test is a GC/MS test. (Gas Chromography Mass Spectrometry, probably not spelled right) This is a fancy way of saying they shoot a laser beam to determine atomic weight and identify what's there. That test is far more accurate than the ones commonly used. But it's normally only used to confirm positive results because it is expensive. But I don't see why you couldn't ask for further testing. The medical and pharmacy community as a whole functions with a God complex. So don't hesitate to let your moral outrage show. Or better yet, find a more qualified provider of medical care for this condition.
Old 08-25-12, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

ONLY DESTROYER will become famous soon enough

Some places will only test for specific drugs. They may have not been testing for speed/amphetamines.
Old 08-25-12, 04:58 PM
Contributor

EnergizerJen is a glorious beacon of lightEnergizerJen is a glorious beacon of lightEnergizerJen is a glorious beacon of lightEnergizerJen is a glorious beacon of lightEnergizerJen is a glorious beacon of lightEnergizerJen is a glorious beacon of light

I metabolize at a fast rate also. Extreme is the word I think my doc used.

It depends on the lowest level for which they test for and the actual amphetamine they test for.

Example:

If they test for dextroamphetamine and methamphetamine (most common) and you take Ritalin, you could show up negative.

If you metabolize fast, again, you could show up negative.

Why not have your previous doctor send over the medical records and their diagnosis?
Couldn't this help eliminate the some of the questions your new doctor has?
Old 08-26-12, 03:05 PM
Contributor

rockydaydreamer will become famous soon enough

This is interesting because I wonder what would if anyone would notice if I took Adderall if I did another urine test for a urinary tract infection.. because I often get UTIs..
Old 08-30-12, 02:41 PM

PieceInPeaceOut is on a distinguished road

I would probably be wanting to find another physician already. They should have offered to retest you first before dismissing you. I also think a good physician would do this without even saying anything to you about why they need you to retest. It's the instant assumption that you "may" be doing something wrong, that would make me crazier than the test itself.
Old 09-20-12, 02:11 PM

Faith777 is on a distinguished road

Wow...I just went through the same thing! My son and I are both prescribed adderall, we recently switched physicians to be closer to where we live. From day one, each visit has been grueling and long, and a urine drug test each time, however, last week I brought my son in to get his adderall refilled, (20mg XR for a.m, 10mg for p.m) and they gave him a drug test...he's 8 years old! They then inform me that they will not be filling his medicine anymore, and that it is NOT in his system!?? Now please keep in mind he does not skip a pill, ever! I personally give it to him and watch him take it, just as I did that VERY same morning before he went to school. I have a very hard time believing that the test was negative? I pleaded for them to take a blood test, as I thought it would be more accurate, but they claimed there was no one in the practice to take blood for the rest of the day? Ummm. I also asked them to retake the urine test, and they refused! I'm just in disbelief, and to top it off, they're looking at me like I'm doing something with his medication...telling me my child doesn't take a medication that he clearly does without fail, and seriously needs for school, and that this would be recorded in our records! Unbelievable. Needless to say, this has been bothering me all week and I don't know what to do either.
Old 09-20-12, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all

Acidic foods will pass amphetamines quickly out of the body. Other medications can effect the metabolism too.

Rx= Ritalin 2.5mg, 2-4 times daily. 8/5/14 first day.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 09-22-12, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalPath View Post
This may not sound problematic, however it is. Adderall, which as anyone perscribed it knows it is in the amphetamine class of drugs. I switched over to a new physician who is closer to my work as of recent and as a new patient I let her know it has been about 2 years since I have had a full blood work-up and request to know where we stand. IE the usual suspects of a CBC, cholesterol screening and she did order a DOA, which is a drug screening UA. (new patient taking controlled substance-no problem, no offense) To be even more exact as per Quest diagnostics the panel is #29423, which does specifically screen for amphetamine in the system. I take 20xr in the morning and then a 10mg booster dose in the afternoon-everyday.

With exception to the 2 days that I do not work, sometimes I forget to take the afternoon dose on those days-not always but on occasion. With that being said, it seems next to impossible for my system to test NEGATIVE for even a trace of amphetamine. (I do not drink copious amounts of water either) My new physician as of today informed me that they will not be writing me any more scripts for controlled substances, my Adderall. I did request that she send me for another test, maybe a blood test would be more accurate??? I was told very curtly that they will get back to me on that decision. I am so flabergasted I do not know what to do. My only conjecture is that they think I am not taking my meds and giving them away or worse yet-dare I even write it-doing something monitarily with it. Either case I vehemently deny. Has this happened to anyone out there? Does anyone have any insite on this matter? This is monumentally upsetting to me, and I really can not understand how this could happen. Please advise. With Sincere thanks.
Request a hair test immediatly. Ok, here's the answer you're looking for: 20mg Adderall might not show on a drug test if the test is misplaced because the amount is too low. Drug tests are designed to detect drug addicts. Drug addicts don't take 20mg Adderall oral but more like 350mg IV, locking their jaw and breaking the teeth in their mouth. You doctor seems inexperienced.

Another reason might be the blind spots in the case of a deviant prescription use. In blue is the blood levels of a normal user and in red is deviant user who saves medication for a big binge once a week. Those persons will test negative 4 days a week. That's alot!

Society doesn't want you to get high. It's...bad for buisness haha

Last edited by BR549; 09-23-12 at 01:02 PM..