ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-07-04, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

T-Bass is on a distinguished road
Does Adderall make you tired?

When I first started stimulants, I started off with Ritalin 10mg 4 times a day, and then I built a tolerance to it very quickly, and by the 3rd week, I was taking 20mg 8 times a day cause it was only lasting for about an hour and a half. To tell you the truth I really liked it, I was so calm, focused, full of energy, and very motivated to do things, but doctors won't prescribe that high of a dosage.

So now I've been taking Adderall XR 20mg 2 times a day, this seems to work about 5 hours, but very very mild, and at times I just feel tired. I am wondering if it's the dosage, Adderall doesn't wake me up like Ritalin did, but does make me more clam, like I took a xanax.

Just wondering if I should up my dosage or try something else, going to see the doctor next week, and just want to review and see what my next option is in trying to find the med that will work for me. I read about Concerta, but I don't know if the 72mg max will be enough for me.

T-Bass
Old 12-07-04, 03:19 PM
Jr Member

savvygirl5000 is on a distinguished road
I was just getting ready to post a simuar question. I just started adderall yesterday and i take 15 mg once a day. One hour after i took it i got sleepy and a headache that comes with taking it. But, i slept for two hours and still did not want to get up. Is this normal?
Old 12-07-04, 03:51 PM
Jr Member

spbizzy is on a distinguished road
you definitely need to raise your dose

feeling too hyper, heart beating fast - too much dose
feeling tired and sleepy - not enough dose
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-04, 08:35 PM

tikvahrefuah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbizzy
you definitely need to raise your dose
feeling too hyper, heart beating fast - too much dose
feeling tired and sleepy - not enough dose
that's not true for everyone... too much (reg) adderall for me -> to sleep in 45 minutes... sleep for two hours... may or may not be able to wake up.

my rule of thumb... if I get sleepy in 45 minutes too high a dose...
if I get sleepy 2-3 hours too low a dose...
mild fatigue... can't really tell

if my heart rate goes up and I feel yucky/sluggish dose is likely wearing off. (of course too high a dose or too much caffeine with normal dose or normal dose + not sleeping enough (sleeping being the most important variable for me of these) can cause increased HR/bp too)

I take adderall before I go to sleep... it has helped with my insomnia.
That being said every person is different.

Adderall has great focusing effect for me when the dose is right, but hardly any stimulating effect and in fact can be VERY sedating for me... besides going to sleep... it feels like there's a heavy wool blanket on my brain... that's a good sign I need to cut back.

When I first started I had the same symptoms as you (savvygirl) and I increased my dose. which was not the right thing to do. More sleep, less brain function... not good for getting work done. So I cut back (i was taking reg. smaller dose more frequently at the beginning) but as my body adjusted I ended up on the initial dose.

I guess it depends whether your brain works like mine or spbizzy... Good luck.

Last edited by tikvahrefuah; 12-07-04 at 08:43 PM..
Old 12-08-04, 08:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
yeh its a pain to get it right, i found a way to microdose but is is complicated and a pain, i get tired on it, and if i take enough to focus i get irritable and a little "off" sort of high, but in an up way.
if i take just enough to feel "normal" i am fine with people but not with work especially school work.

trying provigil today or tomorrow
Old 12-08-04, 12:11 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Wow, 160mg ritalin is a lot.

robmhill's suggestion for provigil makes sense since it is very long lasting and keeps you awake.
Old 12-08-04, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
Wow, 160mg ritalin is a lot.
Seems like a lot, but the weird thing, everytime I used to check my blood pressure before meds it was high, and when I was taking 160mg of ritalin a day, it made my blood pressure normal.

T-Bass
Old 12-09-04, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Today I'm testing this med out, I was taking 20mg Adderall XR 2 times a day, I'm going to double the dosage and see what happens, so far for the first time on this med, I feel focused to do work, it's still mild though.

Does anyone know how much would 90mg of XR for a month supply costs? I need to know this before I go to the doctor cause money is an issue for me, but if works, paying for it isn't a problem.

T-Bass
Old 12-09-04, 02:46 PM
Jr Member

spbizzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikvahrefuah
I guess it depends whether your brain works like mine or spbizzy... Good luck.

wOrd...I agree
Old 12-10-04, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

The doctor switched me to Adderall regular release, 30mg in the morning, and 20mg after lunch, and since he didn't prescribe anymore, that makes me a pothead at night time. The max is 60mg a day for regular adderall.

How do some people get more than 60mg prescribed to them?

And why in the world no pharmacy carries this med, I went to 7 different places, and didn't find one, except one place had the generic brand for the 20mg and they have to order the 30mg which I won't get till tuesday.

Good thing I picked up some really good hydro (sour diesals is what they call it) oh the crystals on the weed. I self medicate at night time.

T-Bass
Old 12-10-04, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Got 30mg XR to take in the morning, and 20mg adderall generic to take in the evening.

T-Bass
Old 12-15-04, 10:42 PM

shdac is on a distinguished road
I started taking Adderall xr 20mgs today for the first time at 12:45 and at 1:30 I fell asleep until 3:30 and didn't get out of bed until 5:20. This might also be because I got very little sleep last night due to a sinus headache which still has not gone away. When I was awake I felt very calm and focused and peaceful but not much energy. I really hope this sleepiness doesn't continue because I still can't get nothing done.
Old 10-27-11, 03:55 PM

MoniJane is on a distinguished road
Re: Does Adderall make you tired?

That "too much dose can make you tired" sounds like an explanation I've been looking for. I'm still waiting to talk to my doctor, but at least it gives me an idea for a possibility.

Also, beware of Nuvigil and Provigil if you're a girl: it interacts with your birthcontrol making birthcontrol less effective. Hence why my doctor put me on Ritalin, then Adderall.

Also, Sleep Apnea should always be considered if you have a lot of fatigue. most doctors will run several blood tests to rule out most things that make you tired/sleepy, but not always test for sleep apnea, so make sure you ask if they haven't.

On the pharmacies not having many of the adderall/ritalin strengths - I work in pharmacy so I know the answer to this! The manufacturer (the company who produces and makes the drugs) has the drugs on backorder which means suppliers can either can only a limited amount or none at all. More than likely the pharmacies you go to have not been allocated to recieve anything. They may recieve a "random" bottle every so often, so keep checking! It's been going on for months now, and a big inconvenience to everyone (I had to double up on a lower strength and go fill my prescription at a different pharmacy than I normally work at) but if you're going to get frustrated at anyone, get frustrated at the drug companies!

Thanks for some possible answers to my similar questions, and I hope I've been able to help some others as well!