ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-18-12, 12:11 AM
Jr Member

mapquest27 is on a distinguished road
Eating before Vyvanse?

I'm sure that many of you can agree that it's hard to eat when the vyvanse is working (especially when it's at it's peak). However, wouldn't eating a healthy breakfast high in protein, waiting an hour, then taking the vyvanse with a full glass of water give the best results? Many people say that vyvanse is unaffected by what you eat/drink, but I believe it indirectly effects vyvanse (e.g. blood sugar). If the first thing you do in the morning is take the vyvanse then eat later or skip breakfast, you're setting yourself up for destruction. Your dehydrated and nutrient deprived body will go into overdrive. On top of that, not getting a good night's sleep will make it even worse. I think a healthy, daily routine is crucial for vyvanse effectiveness (besides the inevitable tolerance). It seems like common sense, or is it?

Just out of curiosity, what morning regime gives you the best results? By best results I mean it's effectiveness, duration, and stability.
Old 08-18-12, 08:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,841 Times in 7,613 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eating before Vyvanse?

Vyvanse is digested and begins working in the gut so in my opinion it would be better to eat.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mrsleepy (02-22-13)
Old 08-22-12, 12:47 PM
Jr Member

JOEMAMA is on a distinguished road

I Wake up eat 1 or 2 bowls of cereal with milk of course, and take medicine 20-30 minutes later... This regime has worked great for me, but then 2-3 hours later I start having a headache... And from my personal daily eating experiments I found that when you start having a headache grab some water and a pack a crackers. The water will be easy to drink, but you will only be able to eat 1-3 crackers like every 10-15 minutes, because of suppressed appetite and decreased hunger, but TRUST me your headache will go away and your concentration and focus will be A LOT more consistent through out the day.

Disclaimer: not everyone is the same and you may not react this the same way as I have, sorry buddy I don't make the rules, but it's worth a try (: best of luck
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-12, 08:59 AM

grosekb is on a distinguished road

I know everyone is different and I have tried a few different things in the morning and this is what I found has worked for ME.

6AM - small cup of coffee (small mug size with about half coffee and half creamer)
7:20/7:30AM - take 50mg w/ about a half bottle of water
8AM - get another cup of coffee (about 8 oz and half milk)
between 8-9AM - I usually eat a protein granola bar or some cheese

I found that this has worked really well for me. I know some people don't like to or can't drink coffee w/ vyvanse, but it doens't have a negative effect on me. I have also tried eating before I take it, not having coffee, etc, and this routine is best.
Old 02-20-13, 09:29 AM

Searchey is on a distinguished road

Honestly, once you get to a god dose with Vyvanse you should be able to eat fine. I am already a 103 lb female on 50mg and I eat perfectly fine on it because I let myself stay at a dose. I know a lot of people that start taking ADD medication, and then keep upping the dose every month or so when the effects don't make them as "awake". Until I adjust I just feel like laying down and listening to a lecture, though. Once I do adjust, I am able to go jogging, and eat fine. If you are at a dose that you can't "feel" than that is good, as long as you are able to pay attention (personally I believe it is only appropriate in class or for tedious work) And I promise that the medication DOES still work, even if you adjust to a dose and don't feel as stimulated. That is what is SUPPOSED to happen. You should NOT have trouble eating even a whole box of crackers if you are letting yourself adjust. Once again, 100 lb female, I already did not have a huge appetite. But, now that I have adjusted I have even gained two pounds and maintained a weight for years. (I take med. off and on through semester and summer). A dramatically Decreased appetite should not remain a permanent symptom, if it does, go talk to your doctor about changing medications or lowing your dose.
Old 02-21-13, 04:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nice

I take it on an empty stomach and then eat 1 hour later. If I eat before taking it and feel like it is dulled. However, I have read through these forums that many people better to eat first. I metabolize it pretty quickly so I don't like the feeling of it dulled down.

I also work out daily pretty hard. When I first started taking it I had no appetite, but found I could not work out. So I made myself eat things through out the day. I think that became second nature because now I eat when I know my body needs it.

I have always eaten very well-lots of learn protein, lower carbs (since they make me sleepy), fresh veggies and fruit in every meal. Yet, I have also been a snacker and I can't keep anything 'good' in the house or I will eat the whole box.

Vyvanse has really really helped control my eating. I eat when I am hungary and I don't crave garbage. I think maybe it's because I can actually FOCUS on other things now besides food, which was just a quick boost in Serotonin (something I am also lacking.)

(RX): Pristiq 50mg, Vyvanse 50 mg, Trazadone (when needed)

"No. Just the butter"