ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-18-12, 08:21 AM

fuzzybugs is on a distinguished road
Concerned about the way my psychiatrist is prescribing my meds

I never know where to start :/
Ok... so, I was diagnosed with ADD recently and have tried 4 different medications over the last couple of months. Over the last few weeks I've become more interested in reading about people's experiences with each medication I've tried, and I'm beginning to notice a small difference in the way my psychiatrist is prescribing each medication. She always has me take one dose a day, in the morning. Only for about a week did she suggest I try splitting a dose to half in the morning and half in the early afternoon (this was with 10mg of Adderal in the morning, and 10mg in the early afternoon). But I've been reading a lot about how other people are having their medications split like that, because so many of these seem to wear off in 4-6 hours.

I was on Adderall, the 20mg instant release tablets for about a month, and she was having me take 20mg in the morning. I'd be fine at work, but by the time I get home (I work part time, 6 hours a day) I'd be too mentally tired to want to do ANYTHING. Of course I want to do well at work, but I hate that my entire afternoon gets wasted all the time. That's when I want to be able to focus on my own interests, work on my own projects and pursue interests. She knows this though.

I tried Adderal ER/XR whatever it is. Hated it. My brain felt like it was stuck in molasses all day. Then she prescribed 20mg of Vyvanse, and that left me taking 2-3 hour naps in the afternoon when I'd get home from work. I was reading that for those who felt sleepy like this, their dose was increased and the problem went away, and that it sometimes actually was effective then.

But instead of doing that, she's now prescribed me Methylphenidate SA. Again, it's 20mg in the morning and that's it for the day. I just took it for the first time this morning, so of course I don't know how effective it'll be yet. But my concern is that I'm not getting the help I need in the afternoon because I'm only told to take the dose in the morning, which so far has not helped in the afternoon at all. Am I crazy? Or should I be splitting my meds during the day?
The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzybugs For This Useful Post:
joyrjw (09-14-12)