ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-12, 09:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

choco222 is on a distinguished road
being able to focus when figuring out "puzzles"

hey guys,

So i've looked this up everywhere but haven't found anything.

I find the only time I can really focus is when trying to figure something out, like a puzzle. For example when figuring out a math problem or a chemisty problem I can focus really well. I get obsessed with figuring it out. I'll sit for hours at a math problem I don't understand trying to figure it out. I'm not super good at math or chem (I would say i'm average) but I can focus really well. It's the only time I can really focus.

I guess it might be hyperfocus. I just find it weird that the only time I "hyperfocus" is when my mind is trying to figure out a "puzzle".

Anybody else have this?
Old 08-28-12, 09:39 AM
Contributor

Lisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of light
Re: being able to focus when figuring out "puzzles"

Yes, I'm like that as well. So is my son. I'm also super focused when I'm looking for something that's gone missing. (well it's also sort of a puzzle). I'll turn the whole house upside down and don't stop till I find it. I become totally obsessed with finding it.
Lx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa_Mac For This Useful Post:
choco222 (08-28-12), DvlsAdv0c8 (08-28-12)
Old 08-28-12, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

DvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to beholdDvlsAdv0c8 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Mac View Post
...I'm also super focused when I'm looking for something that's gone missing. (well it's also sort of a puzzle). I'll turn the whole house upside down and don't stop till I find it. I become totally obsessed with finding it.
Me, too. Figuring things out in any way, troubleshooting things. I always feel like Elwood Blues on a mission from God...it is absolutely IMPERATIVE that I find the missing object/fix the malfunctioning computer/solve the Scooby Doo mystery...and DON'T HELP ME because you'll just get run over or make me freak out by adding to the brain noise.
"Face your fear, accept your war, it is what it is." - Black Label Society
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-12, 11:19 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

T-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to all

Me, too. I can hyperfocus when I am challenged, but not *overly* challenged. If it's simple, I zone out. If it's so complicated that I don't know where to start, I zone out. But if I can figure it out by stretching myself a bit, then I'm happy. I think this is what is referred to as "flow" or being "in the zone", which is kind of funny since I "zone out" when I'm not "in the zone". :-)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T-Rex65 For This Useful Post:
BohoButterfly (08-28-12), choco222 (08-28-12), DvlsAdv0c8 (08-28-12), Lisa_Mac (08-28-12)
Old 08-28-12, 11:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

choco222 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex65 View Post
Me, too. I can hyperfocus when I am challenged, but not *overly* challenged. If it's simple, I zone out. If it's so complicated that I don't know where to start, I zone out. But if I can figure it out by stretching myself a bit, then I'm happy. I think this is what is referred to as "flow" or being "in the zone", which is kind of funny since I "zone out" when I'm not "in the zone". :-)
That's it exactly. It can't be so difficult I'm totally lost but it can't be too easy.