ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-03, 03:31 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Arrow MOVING....support needed.....

Moving from California to Florida...

Am moving back to Florida in about 10 days....staying with a friend while I continue my job search...I have my moving company.... but still bummed out, depressed and scared about the whole thing....Anybody have any really GOOD or BAD long distance or short distance moving experiences? or suggestions?

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 06-20-03, 05:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Your not Moving Joan

It's the seanery that's changing
you are just redecorating your world with new sites and wonders

Remember "Life is not a Destination It is a Journey"

Take the time to enjoy and marvel at the new experience.

If I had my way I'd move ever 3 to 6 months but my family told me next time I get the bright Idea to move to send them a post card when I got there !!!!

I think they were trying to tell me something

I just haven't figured out what yet

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 06-20-03, 07:05 PM
Contributor

aforceforgood is on a distinguished road
ah, well, you say you have your moving company already, so this may be too late, but I've heard lots of horror stories about movers including them holding stuff hostage until you pay fees tacked on after begin of move- hope you did your homework.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you asked.

Then again, it's only stuff, and you're embarking on a great adventure- why you moving without a job? Is Florida home? People drive too fast here? =p

A champion is someone who gets up, even when they can't.

My brain is like a big-block hemi with transmission problems...

Contact me using odigo, available free at odigo.com, search for THEMAILMAN -currently there are 4, I'm the one with all caps
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 07:35 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Make sure you don't use Smooth Move USA.

We booked them last year. I called the day before to double check and they said everythng was ok.

Then a half hour after they were supposed to be there I called and they said they didn't know where they were. Then the 3rd time I called they said they were up all night from their previous move and needed to sleep.
Old 06-20-03, 09:05 PM
Contributor

unreal33 is on a distinguished road
Where in Fla., Joan?

Think of it as trading earthquakes, loopy politics, mudslides, wildfires, and road rage for um....uh... hurricanes, early bird specials, geriatric drivers, and big cockroaches!
Old 06-20-03, 11:36 PM

Okay, thanks Garry....and thanks Tara for tip about movers not to use...and Force -- moving back to Florida because that's where I was for ten years before I came out here to get my R.D. I really don't like it out here so yes Florida is like my second home...without a job Force? Because I want the job to be in Florida so the only way I can get second inteviews is to be available for them in person....(hence staying at a friend's house for cheap)....I have contract with mover....definite guaranteed price in writing...which I insisted on...

Where in Florida Eric? Tampa to start with...and then hoping to move and work in Fort Lauderdale...about 4 hours from there....and all that stuff you say about Florida IS true...but I want to be only a three hour plane ride from my family (in Boston)...instead of an all day plane ride with jet lag added in....cool???? Any more input??

Old 06-21-03, 01:03 AM
Forum Guru

jimmmaaa is on a distinguished road
I used to live in Pensacola FL when I was in 6th and 7th grade(Witness Protection Plan). I loved it there, it was a great place to be as a kid!

Do you have a lot of friends there that you keep in touch with?

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

“Never, never, never, never give up. “~Winston Churchill
Old 06-21-03, 01:22 AM
Contributor

Cool, I was just joking. I never had an appreciation for the ways CA blows until I went to Texas for a year. Good luck!

Contact me using odigo, available free at odigo.com, search for THEMAILMAN -currently there are 4, I'm the one with all caps
Old 06-21-03, 12:19 PM

Garry has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmmaaa
I used to live in Pensacola FL when I was in 6th and 7th grade(Witness Protection Plan). I loved it there, it was a great place to be as a kid!

Do you have a lot of friends there that you keep in touch with?
Wow thats something i find intriging

Witness protection program

Can you talk about it jimmmaaa or is it something you dont or cant discuss

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 06-21-03, 01:33 PM
Forum Guru

Smile

Yeah I had the last name of Morgan instead of my current one. My mom and I picked the name. She would get money every month from the Government. So for a year I was James Morgan. That was how it affected me. Other than that I was just a kid in 6th/7th Grade who liked to do kid things. There was not much work in Pensacola if you weren't in the Military. I was just a regular kid doing regular kid things. It is kind of fun....My mom, I don't think she has ever really told us the real story, or the complete story. Basically the short version that I know is that my mom testified against this drug guy, and that put him a way, also put her away for a while too. The very intriguing part of it though was that years later when I was in late High School, the guy she testified against was found dead in a resavoir in our area....Kind of creepy...so I guess it was serious stuff, enough to merit Witness Protection. After a year or so in FL we just left and came back to CA. While my mom was in FL, she was never given a new social security #. When got back to CA she just got a new license using the old social, but still using the last name of Morgan for years until she married her now husband of 17 years, but Husband # 5 too be exact. It looks like this one is going to take Maybe there is some good book material there, at least a chapter on the Witness Protection Days!

Now that I told you all of this.....I am going to have to...you get the picture

It sounds mysterious, and I guess it is, but I was just a kid who really enjoyed living in Florida for a year, who happened to have a different last name for a while.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

Old 06-21-03, 01:42 PM

James -- there is EXCELLENT book material there...go for it! And yes I have some wonderful friends in Tampa...and when I get to Fort Lauderdale, hopefully will make some more....and I had an interview with West Florida Hospital in Pensacola but I didn't get a good feeling at all about the boss....so....
Force -- what brought you back to California from Texas?
Garry -- you WANT to move??? tell me WHY.......
Eric -- hope your wedding plans are going smoothly....

Old 06-21-03, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

sixes has disabled reputation
Good Luck Joan. I am moving to in another week. Lucky me though it is for my job. I already have a place and have been taking stuff up every weekend. So, I won't have much left ehrn I go. I am getting really excited to get out and meet ne wpeople and make some friends. Just wasn't anything to keep me where I am at now. I hope your job prospects pan out for you. I took a job as asst mngr @ a gas station. And after only 2 weeks they offered my a relocation package and it will eventually mean I get my own store. But, I am only 18 and $9.00 bucks an hour is like gold to me. And the best thing is the insurance, so I can get the health care I need. Anyways, don't fret you will find a job.
Old 06-21-03, 02:01 PM
Contributor

Cool sixes, is it one of those minimart deals? my aunt and uncle run one of those, it used to be a repair and gas shop, then once they started selling snacks and stuff they found out there was a lot more $$ in it without the liability. So hang in there with that.

Joan, I had to come back, all my stuff is here. Seriously though, I LOVED the people in Texas, they are so much nicer than here. If I thought I could get a job there, I would go live there, but there's also the weather too, unbearably muggy in summer, coold in the winter. The winter isn't so bad, I like cold, you can always put another layer on, but getting out of the shower and instantly sweating is just lame. And the economy's pretty bad there.

Old 06-21-03, 02:01 PM

Hey Mechelle: For being only 18 years old, it sounds like you're on your way professionally.....your own store??......$9.00 per hour is good at any age....and with health care insurance, you can get your meds if/when needed....and ANYONE that offers a relocation package are goddesses to me! So sounds good Mechelle....

No I will try not to fret....I just want to have lots of options (by lots I mean greater than one)....many times in the past I have accepted jobs I did not want because there was only -- or it felt like there was only -- ONE job option -- and I ended up not liking that one option....I would like to have a few interviews and then get to choose...instead of having only one and thinking I HAVE to take that job.....I'm hoping that since I'm interviewing in the career field that I like, the process won't feel nightmarish...at it has in the past....feels good to write about this....thanks...

Old 06-21-03, 02:12 PM
Forum Guru

Joan, I hope you get a great job. And remember, you are Interviewing you potential employer too! So give them some great questions that makes them think. Good Luck on the Search!

Are you driving across the country or flying. I drove across the country from with my mother. When we left FL, first we went to my Grand Parents in Massachusettes, then we drove back to FLbriefly and across the bottom of the country. Of course, I was not able to help drive because I was only in 7th grade. I guess you will be busy this next week.

~Calvin Coolidge