ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 09-08-12, 04:58 PM

Raftlife is on a distinguished road
Early refill of Vyvanse WITH a new script

So I was experimenting with dosages of vyvanse (switched after 7 months on adderall XR) with my new pdoc. After I settled on 50mg the doctor wrote me a new script for a month supply of vyvanse to get me officially started on a regimen.... (dated) about a week after I filled my last month supply of 50mg that I was "testing it out on" (end of august). I guess it officially counts as a monthly refill, though I still have a lot of pills leftover from the end of august script. I emailed my pdoc asking her if it was going to be a problem and she basically just said that the script is good for 6 months fill it when you need it

I'm going to get kicked off of insurance before the end of the month, so I will have to pay out of pocket for this script anyway. HOWEVER I have a vyvanse coupon that will give me a 30 dollar discount on the 17th of september (a month after I used it on my first round of 30mg). Will I have any problems if I try and get this one filled on that day, even though I filled the previous one only 18 days earlier? I have to pay cash anyway, I have no history of abusing these meds or bad blood with my pharmacy (although I usually go to many different pharmacies because this stuff is hard to find these days) and I have a new written prescription dated the 7th, and my doctor doesn't seem to deny writing both scripts in our correspondence.

Will I be able to get this filled on the 17th paying out of pocket (minus the shire coupon)? People seem to be able to pay out of pocket when they get their meds lost or stolen so I'm thinking it won't be a problem but I don't want to get put on a DEA watchlist for trying to save a couple dollars... the whole schedule II thing freaks me out honestly. I'm in Virginia if that helps

Last edited by Raftlife; 09-08-12 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-08-12, 06:10 PM

dcdennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Early refill of Vyvanse WITH a new script

I'm not sure but my from my experience & what the pharmacist told me that you can only get the new script if it hasdifferent dosage directions

EX: i take 20mg dex : 2tabs every 12hrs lets say I'm on this for 2weeks...

2wks later he writes bumps the dosage so i get a new script it says 4tabs every 6hrs

Only then will i be able to get the new script for my medicine early...
Old 09-09-12, 09:34 AM

Nytefyre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
I'm not sure but my from my experience & what the pharmacist told me that you can only get the new script if it hasdifferent dosage directions

EX: i take 20mg dex : 2tabs every 12hrs lets say I'm on this for 2weeks...

2wks later he writes bumps the dosage so i get a new script it says 4tabs every 6hrs

Only then will i be able to get the new script for my medicine early...
I think this is right. Usually with me, it's only with a dosage change. Other than that, the insurance company gets a little suspicious. But give the insurance company a call. They can sort it out for you. Or better yet, speak with your pharmacy first.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-12, 09:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,948 Times in 6,756 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If there isnt a dose change and if your state has that electronic monitoring, the pharmacist will know its only 18 days. You may have to wait a full thirty days which shouldnt be a problem because you said you had enough right?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-09-12, 11:55 AM

Raftlife is on a distinguished road

Ok as I said before: I am not going to stay on this insurance anyway by the next refill (why would I call them to work it out). I am trying to get it refilled early to use a 30 dollar coupon, which I need to use on a certain date or it doesn't work...
Old 09-14-12, 02:15 PM
Contributor

Plognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftlife View Post
Ok as I said before: I am not going to stay on this insurance anyway by the next refill (why would I call them to work it out). I am trying to get it refilled early to use a 30 dollar coupon, which I need to use on a certain date or it doesn't work...
The problem is the state monitoring, not the insurance. Schedule 2's are a ***** to deal with. They should track your prescription history whether you have insurance or not.
Old 09-14-12, 04:10 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftlife View Post
First, I'd give a call to Shire and see if they'd mail me a new coupon with a later expiration.

If not, I'd go in and request the fill, explaining that the reason is because of the coupon. I don't know whether the request is reported automatically.

I don't think prescription monitoring systems are there to bust you for breaking a rule, but rather to collect data as evidence in the event you are suspected of abusing, as well as a resource for prescribers to monitor patients if they think there may be a problem with abuse. I also believe these systems are more about busting dirty doctors and drug dealers, not rounding up individuals who fill early now and then. I believe it's a pattern of excessive fills, unusually large quanties, or many multiple prescribers they're looking for. This is my opinion based on "common sense" reasoning - I can't back this up with facts presently.

You need to find out what the laws are in your state as far as maximum days supply at a given time, because not all pharmacists are up to date on what is allowed. The DEA's guideline is not more than 90 days supply in a 90 day timeframe, which can take the form of multiple prescriptions, but some states are more restrictive. (This part is fact, not opinion - I can official sources if needed.) California is not more restrictive on the multiple prescriptions rule, and a doctor may write a single 90 day prescription or any number of Rxs adding up to 90 days (in order to stagger fill dates).

I think your reason for filling early is defensible, particularly since there will be a paper trail of the coupon and its expiration date (but take a photo of it for your records before you hand it over). Just be sure you don't get another fill for at least 30 days, and preferably later to balance it out.

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
Old 09-14-12, 07:14 PM
Intergalactic Moderator

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,492 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

Usually if it's a change in strength, it shouldn't count against your last fill. There's no way to break the capsules to equal 70mg, so I can't see why you couldn't get it filled. I don't know the laws in other states though.

I'd give it a try. The most that can happen is that the insurance says "no". You aren't going to get in trouble with the law or anything.

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
Old 09-14-12, 07:49 PM

Thanked 15,256 Times in 7,208 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
Usually if it's a change in strength, it shouldn't count against your last fill. There's no way to break the capsules to equal 70mg, so I can't see why you couldn't get it filled. I don't know the laws in other states though.

I'd give it a try. The most that can happen is that the insurance says "no". You aren't going to get in trouble with the law or anything.
From what I read, this wasn't an increase in dosage.

The OP was trialing a 50 mg dose, and after a week on that
the doc wrote a new script so s/he (?sorry) could stay on that dose.

Much too soon to refill a stimulant med script, eh?
Spacemaster (09-14-12)
Old 09-14-12, 07:53 PM
Intergalactic Moderator

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,492 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I've re-read it, and where in the world did I get 70mg from?

Uhhh...yeah sorry about that. For some reason I must've seen a "7" in the post and was under the impression that the Rx was changed to 70 mg.

Guess I should read take the time to read more thoroughly

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
Old 09-14-12, 08:02 PM

Thanked 15,256 Times in 7,208 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
I've re-read it, and where in the world did I get 70mg from?

Uhhh...yeah sorry about that. For some reason I must've seen a "7" in the post and was under the impression that the Rx was changed to 70 mg.

Guess I should read take the time to read more thoroughly
It was confusing to me too. I must have read it 3 or 4 times before I made sense of it.