ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 09-10-12, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Slapstick is on a distinguished road
Anxiety from Delayed Gratification?

Does anyone get anxious during an incident involving delayed gratification?

At times when I attempt to read (whether the subject matter interests me or not), I get very anxious, probably because I sincerely do want to understand whatever the subject matter is... I just don't want to necessarily do the work.

When this happens, a tension headache happens almost immediately. I always assumed the headache was my brain telling me it is tired from the sustained mental effort. I now wonder if the headache is a result of anxiety brought on from a delayed gratification problem while attempting to read.

Has anyone else experienced this or something like it... particularly when reading?
Old 09-10-12, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety from Delayed Gratification?

Not quite what you're talking about, but I always struggle not to flip to the last pages of a novel while reading. I also find it really hard not to look up spoilers for tv series I'm watching. Cliffhangers drive me insane.

As far as non-fiction, I get a different kind of anxiety, a lot like what you describe. It takes me a lot of effort to comprehend academic texts, and I get very panicky and frustrated if it doesn't click right away.
Old 09-10-12, 03:08 PM
Contributor

hanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to behold
Re: Anxiety from Delayed Gratification?

Not directly anxiety. I feel exhausted. As if somebody had wrung out my brain. When I then have to keep on doing the same (difficult tasks, having to wait for reward), I feel immensely frustrated and that has some overlap with anxiety or maybe it even leads to anxiety. But for me, the frustration comes first. Anxiety builds up from a myriad of 'what if's - what if I'm just too stupid, what if I overlooked the key part, what if somebody chose this task for me to despair over on purpose, what if ...