ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 12-15-04, 06:14 PM

donovan962 is on a distinguished road
Question 8 yr old son diagnosed with mild add

I'm a newbie:

Our 8 year old was just tested and diagnosed with what the child psych describes as "mild add". His attention fades in large groups (like classroom) and his grades are below avg in reading/comprehension and pretty good in math. He has no behavioral problems in school, but gets obsessive about things at home and is disruptful to his two siblings and us. Doctor is recommending that we put him on a mild dose of concerta or ritalin w/ occasional therapy. He says the other option is regular therapy to cope with it (no meds). We are scared to put him on meds, but I am reading that the right dose can help.

Looking for input from parents that have experience with meds and children this age.

Thanks......Donovan962
Old 01-03-05, 09:27 AM
Jr Member

dawnseve is on a distinguished road
My son was diagnosed with ADD without hyperactivity which bascially means he has attention problems not hyperactivity probs. He was diagnosed at 8 or 9...he just turned 10. I was very concerned about putting him on meds but after seeing the results, I am glad I did. His attention in school did improve after he started Concerta. I am not recommending you do the same because its a personal choice. Just wanted to tell you how it worked for us.
Things are not perfect but they are better and he is also going to a therapist along with it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Love, dawnseve