ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-16-04, 11:59 PM

spacey is on a distinguished road
stopped ADD meds and suffering

I've been on add meds. For the past 6 years. Initially they worked great but then the side effects outweighed the benefits. They helped during the day but the crashes were really bad. I would get so tired when they wore off that I couln't do anything. Strattera eliminated the crashes but caused me to sweat profusely and also caused insomnia. I couldn't handle the side effects any more of any of the meds. I stopped them all and now I feel worse than I can remember ever feeling before ever taking them. I feel super spaced out, i'm tired, and no matter how hard I try I can't pay attention in class or study. I know i'm worse than I was before. Before medication I struggled with the add symptoms but I was functioning at a much higher level than I am now. Now it hurts to study and pay attention in class. I get so frustrated because i'm trying really hard but I just can't do it. I feel like i'm in a fog... I just want to know if anyone else has gone through something similar. Has anyone else felt worse after stopping add meds than they did before having taken them? My doctor said that i'm probably just depressed but I don't think its that because this "fog" goes away completely when I take the meds again...
Old 12-17-04, 02:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Well, you could be depressed. Dexedrine used to be pretty widely prescribed as a crude antidepressant, and the other commonly used stimulants are relatively similar. (Ritalin being the exception, although, you could have less depression due to simply functioning better with Ritalin or any med.)

I don't know if I'd be so quick to implicate the meds alone in this. It could very well be that your mind got used to a higher level of functioning, and when you stopped taking meds, you slipped back into old ADD habits that dragged you back down where you were before meds or a little below. I have not gone through this or really heard of anybody having this happen, so I'm just throwing out ideas to see what might stick.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 01-19-05, 06:27 PM

Well i think i know why i felt so bad. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I had alot of those symptoms too that i was able to alleviate a little while on ADD meds. I even have a small goiter.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 11:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
It's good to have some answers -- even if they aren't things you'd choose to have. Good luck.

A number of my family members have had good success with the thyroid medication.

Scattered
Old 02-08-05, 01:22 PM

i just wanted to thank you "exeter" and "scattered" for responding. I appreciate the info. I realize that what i was going through was a combo of depression and thyroid probs. My doctor wants me to wait for the thyroid treatment to take full effect before addressing any other symptoms because she said that they may be mostly thyroid related. So i have to wait a few months. Then i will treat my residual 'mental' symptoms. I'm just soooo impatient. I am slowly increasing my thyroid medication dose and after a few weeks am noticeably less fatigued. A short while after my first post i began taking provigil to deal with the fatigue. After thyroid treatment, i have been able to decrease the amount of Provigil i was taking from 300mg to between 25 and 50 mg a day which is incredible because before thyroid treatment, despite the 300mg of provigil, i was exhausted and passing out in the early evening.
Old 02-11-05, 08:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14600 I just started this thread and then read your ... unbelievable you read my mind ... See you were on them like me for many years , so many here have not experienced what we are becuase they have only been on them for a few years if that . well all I can say is it gets better but it will take about a year ... and it is hard to get a year in becuase if you are like me it gets so dam unbearable that you rationalize going back on them . I wish someone would have told me what was ahead ... you pretty much explained it .... wow ... thought I was the only one ... the Dr.'s will tell you it is your ADD coming back .. BULL_HIT it is withdrawals from the drug ! like you said if you start taking it again you feel OK and all of the bad feelings go away ... I better shut up before I make someone mad . It must be hard to read this when the drug makes you feel so good and someone is telling them another side to these wonder drugs ... Even as I write this I want to believe I am wrong and am looking for a way to start taking Adderall again but for me I know it is just another drug that has a big price at some point ... and with a lot of work I can deal with ADD but it takes so much work and is not as easy as taking a pill .

hypothyroidism well ... OK but let me ask you , are you back on ADD meds now that your energy you say is coming back .... All I know is that ^ years of Adderall changed my whole system and I am afraid that if I start back again I will not feel as good as I do now a year off .

Spacey do you not think that stopping an Anphetamine is what was causing your depresion .... did your depresion not go away when you would rienstae the drug .. well good luck .

I will tell you Adderall really helps my ADD but after taking this stuff for so many years it started to really hurt my body and change me as I become addicted but maybe I am the only one who feels this way again would like to hear from someone who has been on high doses of Add meds for 5 years or more .. thanks
Old 02-11-05, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Deeperblue is on a distinguished road
can the meds be stopped more gradually. Are you describing withdrawal symptoms? Wondering if the proecess is spaced incrementally andovertime you would not feel as bad?
Old 02-11-05, 09:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
No ... I tapered for 6 months ... it took 6 moths .. I could not have gone from 5 years + of 60 mg of adderall a day to nothing . Well I guess I could have but I would not have been able to do much of anything and the depression would have just been unthinkable .. too much of a shock on the system even the tapering was hell .
Old 02-14-05, 02:51 PM

Hi. I never took amphetamines. I may be wrong but i remember reading in numerous places that they can be more addictive than other ADD meds. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I am now completely off all stimulants and just on the thyroid medication. I don't feel great but i sure don't feel anywhere near as bad as before i had the thyroid issue treated. It can take months for thyroid to stabalize and i am increasing my medication soon. I can't believe how bad i felt before. It was REALLY SCARY. Before i found out i had a thyroid problem i did everything i could to feel better while getting off of the meds. I took all kinds of supplements that are supposed to help and nothing worked. I really thought that maybe i had caused permanent damage to my brain with the meds because my symptoms were nothing like i had ever experienced before meds and were all too similar to what happens to ex-cocaine or ectasy addicts. To my relief, it wasn't that. My endocrinologist said that thyroid imbalance can make everything worse because without enough thyroid all of your body's metabolic processes (such as manufacturing neurotransmiters) are impared. What i think happened was that my medication withdrawl was exasperated by my underactive thyroid. ALso, my thyroid was getting worse over the years while i was on the stimulants and i was using the stimulants to fight the fatigue. This is why i was so tired when i stopped them. You said that taking the Adderall changed your whole system. Maybe you should see an endocrinologist. My husband dragged me to one. I was so sick of doctors telling me i was JUST depressed that i didn't want to go. But there are MANY things that could go wrong in your system that could explain how you feel off of the Adderall. Whether the Adderall caused the imbalances or whether you developed them while on the Adderall but were oblivious to them because of the stimulant is a mystery. Hypothyroidism runs in my family so i don't think that i can blame it on the meds. I am not denying the possibility that the amphetamines messed you up. I just think it is worth looking for reasons that could explain why you have such severe withdrawl symptoms. I sincerely hope you find out what is happening to you and what the most appropriate treatment is for you.
Old 02-16-05, 11:21 AM

GaryandRachel is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I took Ritalin

(Gary) In middle school i took Ritalin for 2 yrs and it made me depressed I also lost alot of wieght. My mom started to notice that I didn't like the way I feel, she asked me if i liked being on the meds of course i said no. I was so out-going very very active i would never slow down. So she took me off and quess what I failed school, I had to go to a school for ppl with learning disabilities. I told myself for yrs I didn't need them until recently I look back and see the bad work habitits changing jobs like my underwear , the bad grades in high school, the problem dealing with everyday life. I could only imagine what it would have been like if they tryed something new instead of taking me off of the meds. Thats kinda why I'm here is to find new meds to try. Don't be like me and tell your you don't if you really do. I have noticed looking back the difference the meds made. If i knew then what i knew now! Sorry to go on and on. but I've been there and the doctor told me it was the meds that made me feel that way.
Old 02-16-05, 03:39 PM

Smile

I don't completely understand your post. I gather that you do better with the medications than without and that you are looking for a different med other than ritalin to try. Just to clear up any misunderstandings, my previous posts were not denying the effectiveness of ADD medications nor the importance of treating ADD but were addressing other medical issues that could make you feel really bad and complicate one's ADD treatment. For instance, i realize that my severe so called withdrawal from the meds was not the meds fault but an underlying illness that I had not been treating. It was not merely a return of my former ADD symptoms because i had symptoms that were more physical than ADD related and i had never felt that bad before in my life. Also, when someone has a medical problem that is not being addressed while taking ADD drugs, it hinders the effectiveness of the meds. So, for me, since i had my thyroid thing for awhile, i won't know how much and what type of ADD med is the best for me until my thyroid condition stablizes. I also look back at the years of unnecessary stuggling and regret not having had my ADD treated sooner. But now i also look back on the past few years and regret not having my thryoid issue treated sooner because it clearly began to get in the way of my wellbeing even on the meds.
P.S. I had the same problem as you when i was on ritalin and felt WAY better on concerta. On concerta i did not experience the highs and lows that i did on the ritalin. I felt much more stable on the concerta. Good luck finding the right med!
Old 02-16-05, 07:17 PM

GaryandRachel is on a distinguished road
sorry i didn't understand....lol