ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 09-23-12, 10:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light
Re: SCT and intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember79 View Post
But to me it just seems as if "sluggish" and "foggy" more or less indicate that you are a bit slow thinking or even a bit dumb... is that the way to understand it? Is it really unusually to be smart and have SCT at the same time?
So you have this guy. He can't sprint to save his life. It takes him 10 minutes to run a mile. He'll trip or wander off the track because he forgets to turn or spaces out. But he can finish a marathon, 26 miles, in 4 hours and 20 minutes.

Is he a bad runner?

I don't see why you can't be both intelligent and a slow thinker or mentally foggy. Thinking more quickly doesn't necessarily get you to the right answers.
Old 09-24-12, 06:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,902 Times in 4,069 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

There's a term for it: the absent minded professor.

Said term wouldn't exist if certain intelligent men didn't also give of a day dreamer, forgetful, not quite with it, air.
Oh and women.
Old 09-26-12, 07:41 PM
Jr Member

Shiloh102 is on a distinguished road

When I was a kid, it was determined my IQ is 117 and I've always been a classic case of SCT. However, the sluggishness to which they are referring is more closely related to chronic fatigue and does not reflect on intelligence or creativity.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-12, 11:09 PM
Jr Member

Gwen1234 is on a distinguished road

My therapist brought up SCT with me and it fits me perfectly. I've been told I'm intelligent and I have a challenging job that requires brain power. But, the amount of effort it takes for me to put together a sentence, to think of the right words, to recall facts and concepts takes SO much effort. My memory retrieval is terrible. The memories are there, it just takes time to pull them up. Because of this, people often finish sentences for me. And I have to think of alternate words because I can't think of the ones I want to use. And I have to replay what someone has said in my head, a few times, in order to understand it. It ends up making me feel dumb, often. It doesn't help that I am surrounded by fairly intelligent, quick thinking people in my life.
Old 09-28-12, 06:29 AM

adhdpisct is on a distinguished road

I just take a lot of time thinking 169 + 657 takes like 9 seconds or more because I am trying to remember what I thought before that. Then I can't so I have to do it all over again.

I did poorly in school. I'd get all excited the first few days and maybe till the first quarter then I'd loose out.

Reaction times were also an issue.
Old 10-03-12, 12:43 AM

kobekramer1 is on a distinguished road

SCT doesn't mean stupid. Well, sometimes I'm able to convince myself it does. IQ within the 1%, and failed a full semester of high school. The "mental fog" aspect of SCT is really the only thing that differentiates it i think, aside from the terribly low motivation. But SCT in no way inhibits intelligence, but it may hinder you from reaching potential. I wish I always got enjoyment from the things that I enjoy in my good periods. But about half the time, I get into apathetic slumps, but when i'm not, I can research things that interest me for hours strait. So i guess in that way, it does inhibit intelligence.