ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 10-03-12, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Suggested school accommodations for ADHD

Accommodations for school and ADHD have been coming up more lately; not really unexpected as it is the beginning of the school year.

Barkley was kind enough to post an article from the ADHD Report titled 80+ Classroom Accommodations for Children or Teens with ADHD on his site. I posted on this quite a way back but it was under a pay wall at the time. Now it is free as a downloadable pdf.

www.russellbarkley.org/content/ClassroomAccommodations.pdf

These are ideas and while far from being a total list of possible accommodations, could be a good idea generator. Be sure that it is unlikely that anyone will be able to use all of these. Deal with what you can put in effect with the cooperation of the school, teacher and counselor.

I have found that often the school counselor is your best friend. Occasionally though, one can be the child's worse enemy. Pick your battles and work to find allies.

Another point, considering Barkley's stature in the field, it could be a good thing bring to a meeting with a teacher, counselor or ARD committee. A little high powered ammunition never hurts. They may not listen to a parent but Barkley is harder to ignore, doesn't mean that they cannot do it however, but it is at least harder.

In any case enjoy and use it if you think it will be of help.

Yours,

Dizfriz

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Amtram (10-03-12), BellaVita (10-04-12), ConcertaParent (10-03-12), DebRei (04-17-14), deepamot (04-24-16), gemini-dreamer (12-10-12), JenE (10-03-12), Khamy25 (12-10-15), LynneC (10-04-12), Ms. Mango (10-03-12), namazu (10-03-12), Unmanagable (10-03-12)
Old 10-03-12, 02:06 PM

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggested school accommodations for ADHD

Did you cross-post this on your sticky?
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
LynneC (10-04-12)
Old 10-03-12, 11:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. The teacher is supposed to phone us tomorrow with an update. The special education research teacher is working on my daughter's IEP, and I see some good ideas in Barkley's list that parents can also use.
The Following User Says Thank You to ConcertaParent For This Useful Post:
LynneC (10-04-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 04:29 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have a meeting shortly with his year tutor and my sons private tutor is coming. His educational psychologist wanted to meet with him but she works in another area. After the meeting she will phone or email him to make sure that he knows exactly what the school needs to be doing in terms of the law and my sons educational rights. She is awesome, she wont go in all guns blazing but she wont be quiet and go away either.
Im lucky to have a good team on my side. The school counselor is a complete waste of space, but I need to be careful not to make an enemy of her.
The Following User Says Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
LynneC (10-04-12)
Old 10-04-12, 10:13 AM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

This deserves a 'Sticky' of its own!
Old 10-04-12, 12:17 PM

Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

It is up on a sticky, thanks. Parents and teachers need access to this information.

May I strongly suggest that special attention be paid to the nine principles Barkley describes at the beginning of the article. These are core to any behavior management program (home or school) for ADHD children and cannot be stressed enough.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Amtram (10-04-12), LynneC (10-04-12)
Old 05-17-13, 02:54 PM

gpfan5 is on a distinguished road

This link is no longer available, will google and see if it's somewhere else...

thank you for posting, btw!
The Following User Says Thank You to gpfan5 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-17-13)
Old 05-17-13, 02:55 PM

http://www.ldastl.org/LinkClick.aspx...J8%3D&tabid=85

If this is not o.k. to post, just let me know! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to gpfan5 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (05-17-13)
Old 05-17-13, 03:02 PM

gpfan5

Thanks for finding this. I am going to see if it can be put on my on my corner.

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
gpfan5 (05-17-13)
Old 05-17-13, 03:06 PM

Dizfriz, hope it's what you had originally! Thanks for all the stickies and info you've posted over the years!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpfan5 For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (12-30-13), Dizfriz (05-17-13)
Old 05-17-13, 03:13 PM

gpfan5

Thanks for finding this. I am going to see if it can be put on my on my corner.

Dizfriz
Old 12-30-13, 06:26 PM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

great thread, thanks!
Old 06-27-14, 07:14 PM

MomToOne will become famous soon enough

I just went looking for this and neither of the posted links worked any longer, but I searched and found this on his website:

http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsh...mmodations.pdf

Hope it is accessible for everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MomToOne For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (06-27-14), Khamy25 (12-10-15)
Old 12-11-15, 05:19 PM

Khamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really nice

Thanks!

I apologize for my weird writing I'm French .
Old 04-24-16, 02:31 PM

deepamot is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Suggested school accommodations for ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
I just went looking for this and neither of the posted links worked any longer, but I searched and found this on his website:

http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsh...mmodations.pdf

Hope it is accessible for everyone!
Thanks for the exact link.