ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 10-04-12, 08:46 AM

Cre8tive1 is on a distinguished road
ADHD Inattentive Type with med questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new here and am hoping I've posted in the right place. I see there's a special section for Inattentive. I am 37 and was diagnosed this summer through testing - and after being treated for depression and anxiety for the past decade. Thank goodness for my current therapist who saw the behavior patterns that led her to getting me tested.

I started out on generic Adderall IR 20 mg and felt a severe crash in the afternoons - as in sleeping for three hours. I talked to my doc, and she switched me to Adderall XR 20 mg. I didn't have the crash anymore, I'm sleeping through the night, and I'm actually focused for a change. However, I am crabby, and lately have been having tightness in my chest and my left arm has gone tingly/numb a couple of times. I freaked and went to the doctor, and she put me on Vyvanse 10 mg. I might as well have not taken anything at all at that point.

Does anyone with Inattentive have some experiences on what has helped them - and if any of these side effects have occurred? I like the Adderall better, but I surely don't want to have a heart attack. Coffee doesn't bother me, but I can tell you that on Adderall I feel like my heart will blow through my ribcage if I drink a Diet Coke.

I'm just looking for any ideas and help. My doc is minimally helpful, and my therapist said it will be a period of trial and error.

Thanks
Old 10-05-12, 12:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ADHD Inattentive Type with med questions

Damn, they're just blindly throwing meds at you. 20 mg of Adderall IR is kind of high to start with. Not even a titration phase... Your side effects sound like you're getting too much too fast.

Does 10 mg of Vyvanse even exist? I thought the lowest it went was 20 mg. 10 mg of Vyvanse would only have 2.9 mg of d-amp. Adderall 20 mg is about 12.6 mg of base amphetamine. I'm not even sure a non-ADHD person would notice a 2.9 mg dose of amphetamine.

If I were you, I would've stayed on the Adderall XR but dropped the dosage. Inattentives historically seem to respond better to lower doses. Think Vyvanse 30 mg or Adderall XR 10 or 15 mg.
Old 10-05-12, 03:42 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I agree with Verile that slow titration of meds makes a big difference with respect to side effects. I was diagnosed in August with Predominantly Inattentive Type, and started two weeks ago with generic, instant release methylphenidate.

I started out at 5 mg once a day for four days and noticed an effect within 20 minutes on my first day. I felt much calmer inside and things seemed slightly more focused. My blood pressure was OK two hours after taking it (98/71), but my pulse was fast at 93. The next day my pulse was down to 82 about 1.5 hours after taking it (blood pressure was 107/74) and by day 3 my pulse was in the high 60s and 70s.

So I went up to 10 mg on day 5 and two hours later my pulse was a little fast at 88 (blood pressure was 113/76) and I felt kind of tight in my chest and a little uncomfortable for a few hours. So the next day I went back down to 5 mg two times a day and then three times a day.

Then this last Tuesday I went up to 10 mg again and I've been taking 10 mg twice per day since then. This time there was no problem at all. I had no tightness in my chest and my pulse was 71. Today, two hours after taking my first dose, my pulse was 59 and my blood pressure 112/75. I feel more focused and I'm much more attentive when I'm driving or listening to other people talk without my mind wandering or tuning out. Since I started the methylphenidate, I've also been sleeping better than I have for years.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-12, 04:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

I´m also new and just started on concerta 18mg once a day, I think this is the minimum. It has taken the edge of my anxiety and I feel relaxed. Actually relaxed enough to enjoy food. No change in concentration and still has forgetful as ever but I am supposed to stay on this for the next 15 days.
Old 10-05-12, 08:06 PM
Jr Member

Raven01 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I seem to be having the opposite problem to the original post. I was recently diagnosed with ADD and have been on concerta 18mg for 3 months. I have noticed in some ways I am better, especially at work; more intuitive and spontaneous and able to keep up with my record keeping. However in other ways I am worse, still forgetting things and being withdrawn at home, too much time on the computer etc. This is getting me down, it's like being half treated. How do you work out the right doseage? My psychiatrist is rather conservative which may be a problem for increasing the doseage. I am due to see him next week. Any ideas on how to approach this problem?
Old 10-08-12, 08:54 AM

I'm sorry, everyone. You are correct, Verile. It is 20 mg. of Vyvanse. There goes my mind wandering while I'm typing a post! My family doc suggested we could try lowering the Adderall dosage. Reading these posts makes me think that's a good option - or upping the Vyvanse to 30 mg. I guess the one benefit of sticking with the Vyvanse is that it wasn't available in generic.

I noticed a huge difference between the generic Adderall XR that was a blue capsule compared to the orange one my pharmacy had the next month. It was like the blue did nothing compared to the super-strong orange one. Thank you, everyone, for your help.
Old 10-08-12, 10:32 PM

User37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tive1 View Post
I freaked and went to the doctor
I like to think of it as that you are taking care of yourself? The first time I jumped in my car doing 80 mph to the hospital due to chest pains, the ER doctor laughed at me. Either way, it was the first time I had felt so different that I needed to know that it really was OK and not a heart attack. This was the same advice I had given a friend who had recently contacted me for a similar situation he found himself in.

Quote:
... I am 37 and was diagnosed this summer through testing...
Similarly it wasn’t until the age of 37 that I was told specifically about my inattentiveness by a doctor who treats adults. This was important to me because it had just made sense for as many years back as I can remember. My past experience with medications includes the ones you have taken, just in slightly different order.

Quote:
Does anyone with Inattentive have some experiences on what has helped them - and if any of these side effects have occurred?
The experiences I share are upon mature reflection. In my writing below I'm focusing more on my ’Inattentiveness’ and not my prescribed medication.

I was in a classroom for 15+ days with lessons during a regular 8 hour work day, accompanied by exams once or twice a week. A day or so passed when I found relief in that I could, for what I felt was the first time, fluently speak my thoughts. (Details that I hope to have the opportunity to share with others who are diagnosed with inattentiveness, at a later time.)

In class, I could not only begin to recall the material covered but I found myself studying for exams a few nights before rather than the usual day of the exam. By about the 3rd day I had begun to realize that I could also follow more than one conversation. In a classroom environment this perhaps was more than I believe I was ready to handle. I also believe that as a result: my sleeping, eating, and other basic habits struggled. I don’t think I was prepared to process the input as it was happening at a much faster rate. In short, tasks that would once take days to accomplish and/or process (if ever) was now only taking minutes or hours.

Looking back - I never thought I could study, pass the exam, and have meaningful conversations in between. I had thought my medication would 'remove' items from my TODO list (e.g. unfinished projects, multiple unforgotten deadlines, the post-it notes & lists that I know are somewhere and not thrown in the trash, a few promises I made years ago, etc.). The medication didn’t really do this and my head was almost 'dizzy' thinking of all the things I had started, but had yet to finish.

Much of the above was some time ago now. Today, I am completing some of those tasks. I’ve decided that the other tasks are just not that important. If they should have been more important, well history has shown that I'll find out sooner or later if I made an error in balancing my priorities. [IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CMatt%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsoht mlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Additionally, I've learned that when I feel out of sorts (crabby, tightness, or just plain blah) I reach for one of my personal projects and go-to-town on it. I may let my wife know I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and ask her to pardon me if I come across crappy.

I’d like to end with I don’t think you, me, or my friend freaked out but maybe we are important enough to ourselves to make sure everything was okay. At the risk of being cliché, sometimes it’s just a brave new world.
Old 10-09-12, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your insight, User37. I appreciate reading experiences that relate to what it's been like for me the past few months since being diagnosed. I started the 20mg of Vyvanse this morning to see if I am less on edge than with the generic Adderall.

I like your "wrong side of the bed" idea. I might just use that - as I have lately been called "Crabby Patty".
Old 10-19-12, 06:00 PM
Jr Member

MartinR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post
Hi, I seem to be having the opposite problem to the original post. I was recently diagnosed with ADD and have been on concerta 18mg for 3 months. I have noticed in some ways I am better, especially at work; more intuitive and spontaneous and able to keep up with my record keeping. However in other ways I am worse, still forgetting things and being withdrawn at home, too much time on the computer etc. This is getting me down, it's like being half treated. How do you work out the right doseage? My psychiatrist is rather conservative which may be a problem for increasing the doseage. I am due to see him next week. Any ideas on how to approach this problem?
I had a very similar problem to yours (I also take Concerta 18mg). The Concerta patient information says that it can be taken with or without food. BUT for me it works much much worse if I take it with food. For me it works best if I don't eat at all until the effect of Concerta fades away. I only take it occasionally so not eating for one day is not really a problem, but since you take it every day you cant really do that, right . You can still try it though.

And also try taking it with a little more sugar. Methylphenidate speeds up the glucose metabolism in the brain so if you have too little blood sugar this will make the effect of the medication worse.

Anyway 3 months of Concerta on the 18mg dose? Are you even feeling it? Don't get me wrong, if you haven't developed tolerance this is great, but most people go on the 36 or higher dose after the first month. Talk to your doctor about this.

Dating CONCERTA® 18
Old 10-21-12, 07:12 AM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
And also try taking it with a little more sugar. Methylphenidate speeds up the glucose metabolism in the brain so if you have too little blood sugar this will make the effect of the medication worse.
I'm not sure about that... I was just watching an ADHD lecture from UC Davis which explained that methylphenidate makes the brain use glucose 50% more efficiently. If that's the case, then it seems like you ought to need even less glucose in your system than you normally would.

On a completely biased personal note, that could explain why my sugar cravings go away when I'm on my meds. And they do seem to work better if I avoid simple carbs and go for protein instead -- especially first thing in the morning. Which makes sense; the body needs protein (among other things) to make neurotransmitters.

I do still struggle with rebound, though... You're fine during the day, at work, but then later on when you get home, the meds wear off and rebound kicks in and your symptoms are worse than ever. Is that what's going on in your case, Raven01?

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse
Old 10-21-12, 07:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Ash View Post
I'm not sure about that... I was just watching an ADHD lecture from UC Davis which explained that methylphenidate makes the brain use glucose 50% more efficiently. If that's the case, then it seems like you ought to need even less glucose in your system than you normally would.

On a completely biased personal note, that could explain why my sugar cravings go away when I'm on my meds. And they do seem to work better if I avoid simple carbs and go for protein instead -- especially first thing in the morning. Which makes sense; the body needs protein (among other things) to make neurotransmitters.
I take concerta on an empty stomach. I don´t have much appetite anyway but with concerta I don´t want caffeine, alcohol or coke type sugary drinks but I can´t explain why. I´eat less carbs and sugary stuff in general.
Old 11-08-12, 02:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

SASChii is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
I take concerta on an empty stomach. I don´t have much appetite anyway but with concerta I don´t want caffeine, alcohol or coke type sugary drinks but I can´t explain why. I´eat less carbs and sugary stuff in general.
Thats what I need...less carbs.

So I switched from Adderall XR 15mg to Vyvanse 50mg one pill daily (cheaper too). Yesterday was my first dose and I think I noticed an improvement with my attentiveness, but today I really didn't feel like there was much improvement. I didn't have the dry mouth side effects as i did yesterday and it seemed to take longer for the med to kick in, like 2 hours later. I had a rather large breakfast this morning (3 egg omelet with diced ham, hashbrown potatoes, 2 slices of sourdough, and 2 cups of coffee). Yesterday I only had a bagel sandwich with an egg thingy and crisp bacon strips x 2 (from Dunkin Donuts) with a small coffee.

Tomorrow I am going to try for a smaller lighter breakfast and see what happens.

Question: Does anyone out there see a noticeable difference when taking food with meds? If so what kind and how much?