ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-04, 06:42 AM
Jr Member

Sanane is on a distinguished road
Any Adults with ADHD have experiences on The Brain Resource Company ?

G'day all,

Popped in to share some info on quantitative grey matter assessment for ADD (et al) and to ask for your thoughts about it.

WHO - There's a company here called The Brain Resource Company (BRC) listed on the Australian stock exchange. They claim to have established the world's first fully standardised International Database on the human brain.

WHAT - Basically they have made standardised, quality-controlled assessments of 1,400+ "normal" brains in brain function labs around the world. This data forms the database, which includes demographic, neuropsychological (cognitive), electrical brain-body function, sMRI, fMRI, genetic and lifestyle data information.

HOW - With this database, they are able to compare and reference your brain function profile, to their database and therefore provide better comparative insight into individual brain function, disease and treatment response.

WHY - So, you get your brain assessed and you find out how you rate with a "normal" brain. Then you get treatment, and perhaps start taking medication, and re-take the test to see how your brain is managing with treatment.

Makes sense to me. Does it to you? Anyone have any first hand experience of this?

I don't think I'm allowed to post URLs, but they do have a comprehensive web site with sample test reports etc.

Love to get your feedback.

Merry Christmas
(Lucky it's on a weekend this year, I've got a really busy week)

S
Old 12-24-04, 06:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

gabriela will become famous soon enough
here's the link - i'll try to check it out later!

http://www.brainresource.com/index.html

"come to the edge,' he said. they said: 'we are afraid.' 'come to the edge.' they came. he pushed them...and they flew."
(apollinaire)

"what do we know but that we face one another in this place?"
(yeats)

Old 12-24-04, 08:14 AM
Banned

smallchild2002 is on a distinguished road
i think more intelligent brain have more folds and curves my doctor told me. i did a brain scan (what ever u call it M-R- what?) and found that my brain has 25% less folds then normal brains. guess that contributes to my low iq of 76.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-04, 01:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Very interesting. Looks like they do all sorts of testing from IQ & emotional assessments to EEG brain wave & MRI/fMRI scans using standardized procedures & they claim to have an enormous database but I suspect that is more like their goal since I've never heard of them, unless they started with someone elses data. It should be noted that fMRI brain scans cost at least $3,000.00 US dollars & you probably would want at least 2 scans. That doesn't include initial visits or interpretation of the results. But they have lots of other test including one you can do online for $25 to test emotional knowledge in recognizing moods of faces. I just went through an ADD assessment & only got a 1-1/2 hour interview plus a bunch of checklists for myself & family to fill out. I doubt I will get any sort of standardized results from that, I think it'll be the doc's subjective interpretation. It would be valuable to go through a standardized battery of tests.

Dr Amen www.brainplace.com has a similar database from his own offices only that uses the less expensive radioactive SPECT scanning technique for similar purposes of diagnosis & medication evaluation. I think they charge about $3,000 for 2 scans & full assesment including subjective interviews & comparison of your scans with their database.
Old 12-24-04, 08:09 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
.... they claim to have an enormous database but I suspect that is more like their goal since I've never heard of them, unless they started with someone elses data. ....
Dear Paulbf,

I was referred to BRC from a researcher at The University of Sydney, who in collaboration with Westmead Hospital, run a setup called The Brain Dynamics Centre. This centre conducts tests of "normal" people for the BRC database and lists BRC as it's commercial parner.

At their web site, The Brain Dynamics Centre lists medical conditions, family history conditions, and life choices which the "normal" brained participant must not have, in order to be included in the research data:
  • A personal history of mental illness not related to physical brain injury
  • A personal history of physical brain injury
  • A personal history of having received a blow to the head that resulted in unconsciousness (within the last 5 years only)
  • A family history (mother, father, brother, sister, child) of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder.
  • A personal history of stroke or neurological disorder such as Parkinson's Disease, Epilepsy, Alzheimer's or Multiple Sclerosis
  • A personal history of serious medical conditions related to your Thyroid or Heart, or a history of cancer
  • A blood borne illness (HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C).
  • A severe impediment to vision, hearing, or hand movement.
  • A personal history of addiction to drugs such as Heroin, Cocaine or Amphetamines
  • A personal history of heavy consumption of Marijuana or alcohol
  • A personal or family history of genetic disorders

This is just one uni. There is a full list of universities, institutes and hospitals who are working with BRC in collecting data at BRC's website. At their site see: About BRC > Alliances & Partners
  • Institute of Psychiatry, King's College, London (UK)
  • Cambridge University (UK)
  • University of Auckland (New Zealand)
  • Göteborg University (Sweden)
  • New York University (USA)
  • University of Illinois, Chicago (USA)
  • University of California - Los Angeles (USA)
  • University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia (USA)
  • University of Moscow (Russia)
  • University of Wuppertal (Germany)
  • Prince of Wales Institute of Neuroscience (Australia)
  • Swinburne University (Australia)
  • The University of Sydney (Australia)
  • The University of New South Wales (Australia)
  • The University of Adelaide (Australia)
  • Flinders University (Australia)
  • Westmead Hospital (Australia)

Quote:
fMRI brain scans cost at least $3,000.00 US dollars....
What a rip off!! Glad I'm not in the USA. Mate, you can fly down to Sydney for a week or two, chill out on the beaches, have a few beers, get your scan done, fly back and have money lefy over!!

Seriously though, I do think comparing ones results with something has to be better than merely taking the quack's word for it. It's also the only way you really know if you are making progress, and more to the point, what helps and what does not.

I'm off to the beach for Chrissie lunch. Let me know when you're coming and I'll pick you up at the airport

S
Old 12-27-04, 07:05 AM
Jr Member

I would really appreciate any input from anyone at all (any age or sex) with any first hand experience with The Brain Resource Company.

Gracias

S
Old 12-27-04, 08:17 AM
Forum ADDvocate

I did some more googling on them:
http://www.biotechnologydirectory.co...panies/brc.htm
Quote:
Standardized, quality-controlled assessments have been acquired in BRC brain function laboratories around the world, for over 1,400 normative subjects and over 600 clinical subjects, whose data taken together forms the International Database.
Well that's not a huge number (yet).

Quote:
Process standardization and databasing deliver cost effective outcomes including reliability (referenced to standardized integrated database) and across site reproducibility (acquisition standards and turn key laboratories) .
This sounds good. I mean you can still talk to a separate pdoc or psychologist for their 'opinion' but if you are going to do testing it should be standardized and affordable.
Quote:
The unprecedented profile sensitivity delivers new insight including personalized subject profiles (provide a comprehensive determination of efficacy) and which enable personalized biomarker identification consistent with new FDA initiatives.
Look out. Big Brother here we come.

http://www.maaddsg.org/news_12_7_03B.htm
Manhattan Adult Attention Deficit Disorder Support Group
Quote:
BRC...expects to establish reliable markers of ADHD within 18 months.
That would be 6 months from now given the publish date.
Quote:
"We will study more than 200 children aged between six and 18 years who have been diagnosed with ADHD in these three states over the next year or so," National ADHD Consortium co-ordinator Dr. Richard Clark says.

"The project brings together measurement of brain function, bodily function and behaviour for the first time," according to Clark. "Previously each was investigated in isolation. This will allow us to achieve an unprecedented integrated assessment of diagnostic and treatment markers. The knowledge we obtain and the assessment tools we develop will help the medical community to make better treatment decisions."

The study is only possible due to advances in computing, particularly the neuroinformatics approach developed by the Brain Resource Company in Sydney, which operates a franchised international database that provides evidence-based standard profiles of brain function and cognition.
Old 12-27-04, 08:37 AM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
My son's neurologist claims the scans are 'interesting' but not yet conclusive

She's a highly respected neurologist in my county that works with children only.

Says even if a client had unlimited funds she would not recommend them for these scans.

I personally think, why not, other than the time involved what have you got to lose.

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 12-27-04, 09:00 AM
Forum ADDvocate

KMiller looked up published articles on Amen's brain scans & found a couple studies with something like 50 participants showing about 65% to 75% of ADDers displayed the predicted patterns in their brain scans. That means about 25% or more ADDers didn't have detectable ADD in their scans. He claims to have a 'huge database' of scans to refer to but it's all his proprietary stuff & not much of it done with reproducable standards. His technology is much less expensive than fMRI unless this new company's economy of scale has changed things, I looked into fMRI at the local hospital & it would cost something like $10,000.00 for a complete workup so that's not feasible.
Old 12-28-04, 07:53 PM
Jr Member

Thank you paulbf and charlie for your research and input.

It appears to me that comparable tests, however inaccurate, are likely to be more useful for managing and monitoring progress than for the diagnosis per se. And at the end of the day, fixing it or learning to manage it, is the most productive thing one can do.

I am somewhat concerned about the big brother issue, but for most people it's already too late as a great majority of people living in in Europeanised countries are already databased in one way or the other. My preference is to give them conflicting information so they never really know.

Thanks again.

S