ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-25-04, 11:19 PM

elmore_brown is on a distinguished road
Question College/ADD: Semester over, work submitted late / my letter of explanation...input?

When grades were due in at the end of the semester....2 of my classsess had missing work! SO I dont know what to expect in them and too scared to check my grades online.... BUT my work that had been turned in/completed was good.

I did email my teachers with the work missing (did excellent job on the assignments, A work) and submitted a letter explaining the situation about a week later. All work was quality and the letter, all details true....

Here is the letter:

Dear XXXXX:

I write to ask for your help and understanding. My academic circumstances this semester have been rather desperate, and I need to apprise you of my situation so that you will be able to take it into account in determining my final grade. Iím writing to you now in part to address some of my behaviors that may not have made sense to you Ė or may have been misunderstood: arriving late for class, lack of participation while in class; turning in assignments late; being absent altogether; and simply not appearing to be ďon top of thingsĒ the way I feel I should. I hope that this explanation makes clear why, when it perhaps would have been natural for me to bring such problems to you immediately, it was not feasible for me to do so. I do not wish to make excuses, but I believe that the circumstances outlined below will explain this issue to your satisfaction. I have been coping with a significant disability this semester, and until very recently, I didnít even realize that my difficulties were a symptom of this illness.

Throughout my entire life, I have experienced extreme difficulties in situations requiring significant concentration and social interaction. I had always thought that it was simply ďhow I was madeĒ Ė a personality trait, or quirk, and something that I could overcome if I worked at it hard enough. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried, I couldnít seem to make my circumstances improve. Throughout grade, middle, and high school, I suffered from what I and my family thought was simply severe shyness, but I managed to graduate, and I thought my dreams were coming true when I was accepted to Salisbury University. However, my conditioned worsened, and I was dismissed for academic deficiency. Unwilling to accept defeat, I enrolled in the Community College of Southern Maryland to bring my grades up to part in the hope that I could re-enroll at Salisbury. I was thrilled to be afforded this second chance, and resolved that my academic performance would be stellar. But this semester, things fell apart.

My situation became so desperate that it finally drove me to a doctor. Finally, after all these years, I discovered that there was a medical reason for my difficulties: Last month, I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD) with Social Phobia (the latter diagnosis is also known as Social Anxiety Disorder). However, treatment is often a case of trial and error, and my doctor was unable to find an effective combination of medications until a mere ten days ago. My body is still adjusting to the medicationsí side effects, which are substantial.

You probably are familiar with names of these illnesses, but you may not know their disabling effects. I certainly didnít. Iíve also discovered that there are a lot of misconceptions about the illness Ė and that many people donít even believe that it exists, which makes treatment and recovery that much more difficult. The last month or so has been educational, to say the least.

Far from being a mythological condition or a ďwastebasket diagnosis,Ē Iíve learned that AD/HD and Social Phobia are actually quite prevalent; symptoms include, among other things, difficulty concentrating, difficulty following instructions, and ability to complete tasks, impulsivity, and an inability to remain still and focused. Left untreated, effects can include depression, school failure, job failure, inability to maintain relationships, etc. Apparently, the mechanics of the illness make it impossible for the brain to organize and integrate information, instructions, and the usual follow-through functions that most people take for granted. Social Phobia/SAD similarly is a genuine illness. People regard those of us with it as simply shy, withdrawn, and even cold and unfriendly; in reality, itís an utterly debilitating condition that makes normal interactions with other people impossible. And although we know that our fear, depression, sense of being judged, and chronic embarrassment are not rational, no matter how hard we try, without treatment, we canít make those sensations stop.

Now, so much in my life suddenly makes sense, but I mourn the years and opportunities Iíve lost to this illness. I apologize for not having brought this to your attention sooner; I didnít do so in part because I was anxious and afraid, although mostly because I did not have the necessary information myself until just recently. Since my diagnosis, I also wanted to be able to bring this to you in an organized fashion, not with scattered bits and pieces of incomplete information about things I didnít even understand myself. I write well, but it can be difficult for me to focus and organize all of the information needed in a situation such as this. Itís also so difficult for me to discuss personal issues face to face with another person Ė even now, broaching this situation with you make me extremely anxious.

Further complications arose from the fact that, with one exception, all of my courses this semester have been writing-intensive. Written assignments have been very difficult for me: Prior to my diagnosis and beginning a course of treatment, it took me at least three times as long as an ordinary student simply to write a basic essay. Moreover, when I first began treatment, the medications prescribed for me caused serious side effects; my body required a period of adjustment before the side effects subsided enough to permit me to study ďnormally.Ē

Now that my body has adjusted to the medications, my ability to concentrate (and thus to write) has greatly improved, although the adjustment process is a long and ongoing one. And unfortunately, Iíve discovered that there is a certain pattern to academic life: Frequently, multiple assignments for a number of courses were due simultaneously, and while most students are able to juggle several such assignments successfully, it is extraordinarily hard for me to maintain the focus necessary to do so. The result is that, while IĎm more than capable of completing the assignments and producing great work, the scheduling conflicts, my difficulties in concentrating, and my inability to filter out ordinary distractions often made timely completion impossible. My thought processes have sometimes felt so overwhelmed that I feared I was on the verge of a breakdown: Even the sound of a passing car could break my concentration. I canít study or sleep unless I wear earplugs; when Iím experiencing a bad flare in symptoms, even the humming of electric lights Ė or even my own heartbeat! Ė distract me and break my concentration.

When you think of me, perhaps a ďbackwards hatĒ comes to mind; virtually no one on campus has seen me without my hat. I wear it in part to cover my now-receding hairline, because, Iím mortified to say, the stress of trying to cope with this undiagnosed disordered has caused me to begin losing my hair prematurely. The physical effects associated with this illness are embarrassing, and Iíve been humiliated in social situations because of them. Unfortunately, unlike someone with a physical disability who must use a wheelchair or crutches, I recognize that my disability is invisible to others. Iím sure that to most people, I look perfectly ďnormal,Ē and they must wonder why I canít act life a ďnormalĒ person. Itís incredibly frustrating, and made more so by the fact that I realize that some people donít even believe this illness exists. They certainly have no way of knowing that I canít sleep or eat, and am so nervous that I canít focus or interact with others on a basis that most people take for granted.

Youíve been a wonderful teacher, loved the film selection and Iíve appreciated your willingness to work with me even when I didnít (or couldnít) ask for help. I do believe that Iíve excelled in your course, and that the quality of my work speaks for itself. Despite the limitations of my illness, Iíve always done my best to submit top-quality work. In fact, I havenít received anything lower than a ďB+Ē (based on the work Iíve gotten back). I recognize, of course, that I may be on the borderline between grades, and I know that such factors as attendance and class participation are used to decide whether to assign, for example, an ďAĒ or ďB.Ē I also know that, without proper context, my record with regard to these other factors would appear to be lacking, but I believe my situation provides mitigating circumstances. In determining my final grade, I hope that you will understand that these behaviors were not simple laziness or negligence on my part (I love studying films and media, in-class and out-of-class), and that you will be able to excuse them as much as possible. Based on my grades on individual assignments, your feedback regarding the quality of my work, and the time and effort that I put into each assignment, I honestly believe that my work merits an ďAĒ as a final grade, and I hope that understanding my circumstances this semester will persuade you that it does, too.

I am the first person in my family to attend college, and my family needs to financial assistance that my education will ultimately help provide. I want more than anything to succeed Ė and overall, I have done very well with regard to improving my grades overall. Maintaining an ďAĒ average is also crucial to my ability to maintain my student financial aid. However, I recognize that my academic standing is at constant risk. And while I realize that financial aid eligibility cannot be a basis for assigning final grades, if you accept the work attached to this email and if I am on the borderline and you are considering an ďA,Ē I hope that this will provide additional encouragement for you to make that decision. I am ready to provide whatever medical or other documentation you may need, and I can refer you to the Web sites of CDC entities and AD/HD and Social Phobia/Social Anxiety support organizations for a great deal of very detailed information that will confirm my descriptions of my illness, its symptoms, and its side effects.

I want nothing more than to be ďnormal,Ē to be a model student and valuable member of a team. Now that I finally have a diagnosis, I also finally have hope, because Iíve learned that there are other people out there like me who have been able to find ways to live a normal life. Those with the highest rates of success are those who are willing to find ways to continue living their lives as normally as possible, which requires educating others about the challenges we face Ė not for sympathy, but for understanding and to demonstrate self-advocacy skills.

Finals week has been an absolute nightmare. I had so many exams, lengthy major essays for several classes, various presentations, and of course, intensive studying to do, not to mention this letter to write. However, Iíve attached each overdue assignment to this letter; I realize that theyíre long overdue, and I apologize. My difficulties with concentration and related tasks, plus a desire to submit work that is as good as possible, made me late in submitting them. The way my brain functions, turning in more polished assignments late seemed like a better course than turning in haphazard assignments on time. However, I want to submit them anyway: Despite my circumstances, I try very hard not to quit anything I attempt; and hope my persistence will be considered in calculating my grade.

I now know that AD/HD and Social Phobia are recognized under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and that I am legally entitled to reasonable accommodations. I also know that obtaining a diagnosis so late in the semester has made obtaining accommodations more difficult. And of course, had I been diagnosed earlier, I would have known what accommodations were available to me and would have requested them then. I also recognize how much more I would have gotten out of your class had I been diagnosed earlier and been able to arrange accommodations: I truly loved your course and you as a professor. Your positive and always cheerful attitude towards film and the course made always made me happy to be in your class. It was a great learning experience even under my circumstances this semester (since I want to be a film director, its content was right up my alley). However, if I had been receiving treatment, as I am now, I would have been much more active - especially during class discussions instead of simply listening to everyone else, easily speaking their mind. I want to say so much during each discussion we had, but instead, numerous thoughts would run wild in my head that were had to battle. Things like: ďnow, how should I say this? Is this a valid comment? Am I going to look stupid?Ē Things like that and before I knew it, the discussion was over or even worse another classmate would say exactly what I was thinking and gain a wonderful response from you or the class. Often left class really angry at myself for not being able to simply speaking up when I had so many good things to say. Fortunately, the medication I now take is working wonders, and it enabled me to put heart and soul into completing my work; I can see the difference already in myself, and I hope that you can too as you review the attached assignments. Since you have a love for film and so do I, I have faith youíll find reading and grading my essays to be an entertaining and pleasurable experience rather than something youíd rather not partake in.

Please donít think that Iím asking for the gift of an ďAĒ grade Ė I only want the ďAĒ if you believe thatís Iíve earned it through a combination of in-class behavior, dedication and desire to better my writing skills, and overall college experience. I canít change what work Iíve done up to this point, but in assigning my final grade, I ask that you take into account how hard I have tried and my commitment to bettering myself in your class. As Iíve said, I genuinely believe that the caliber of the work Iíve submitted is worthy of an ďA.Ē Despite my absences, tardiness in turning assignments, etc., I hope that you will consider them in the context of my (thenĖundiagnosed and untreated illness). I also hope that that understanding, combined with the quality of my work, will make it possible for you to assign me an ďAĒ as a final grade. I will gladly put you in touch with Dr. Talmage Reeves, my physician, and the professionals in educational services who have been assisting me: Dr. Eva Anderson, the university psychologist in the educational department (who first evaluated me), Dr. Barry King of Student Support Services, and Vaughn White of multi-ethnic student services. Should you require a meeting with me, I may be reached at the contact information at the top of this letter, or by e-mail, which I check frequently. And best wishes over the winter vacation; if my grade in this class permits, I may be back in another of your courses next semester Ė and functioning like a new person!

I donít know what sort of outcome to expect; Iím at an academic and personal crossroads, and my grade in this class genuinely could dictate the course of my life. Iím not a perfect student, and I take full responsibility for the things Iíve done to put myself in this spot. However, I have a newly-reinforced faith in my ability to be a successful college student despite my disabilities. I want to come back next semester and get it right, but I canít do that if I fail or withdraw from your course because of factors that were beyond my control. I need the credits for the financial aid that is awaiting processing, and without which I will be unable to continue to further my college education. I desperately want to jump-start my future career as an independent screenwriter and movie director (have a lot of personal movies planned), and to gain the broader knowledge that a college education provides.

I know you to be a fair and understanding professor, and so regardless of what can be done at this point, I appreciate your hearing me out. I realize that I have nothing to lose, but much to gain, by submitting this request. And again, Iíll be glad to submit verification of my medical condition from my doctor; I only ask that it be handled confidentially and with sensitivity. As one of my professorsís told me, ďYouíve come too far to give up now; talk to [them]. Explain, be honest."

Respectfully,

---------------

Now my question is.....should I be worried? Because I am freaking out here, almost sucidal.... college doesnt seem to be working out and i DONT want to join the AF, and i dont want to live with and off my parent, i dont seem to have many other options and life begining to suck.

I havent heard from them yet -- which is understandable -- its holiday time and they have lives too...but my question is when they do get to my email....what should I expect? Any input? These teachers I had to submit this too -- are likeable people and were always VERY nice to me and impressed with me at times, they probably never knew anything was wrong with me....until now.

I'm just really worried the more I wait to hear from them....

Any advice or input would be appreciated. I guess I'm asking are final grades SET in stone, if not, do I have good chance of them being changed?

Just would like to hear from others.......
Thanks!
Old 12-25-04, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
I would not be worried, what is done is done. Think of it like this, its to late to go back and take the email back, so just relax and see what comes of it. Personally I Think the email is a bit long, but its to late to change that now. U are right, these profs may not have even noticed anything was wrong. Think about how many students they have in a given semester. A lot, and u are just another one of them, if u didnt go to them for help they might have just thought u were trying to sneak by. I think the letter is a good idea, it helpsto explain whats going on with u.
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 12-26-04, 01:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
I agree, it might have been a bit long. But obviously the medication is working or you would not have been able to write something of that length.

You may also have to contact the college's Office of Accessability and fill out some paperwork. This way you are doing your part to utilize the "reasonable accomidations", if you choose. They will give you some forms to present to the profs of your furture classes at the start of the each semester.

I contacted my college to see if I could have an "F" stricken from my transcripts. They checked into it, but replied that they can not remove grades. It was nice of them to check.

Good luck and doesn't it feel like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders?

- Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-04, 04:26 AM

armyrebel4 is on a distinguished road
Hell I wrote a 30 page senior project and I am an undergrad and it has been sent back to me 3 times already. I finished it up last night and metered it and threw it in the mailbox. It is what it is, no one is perfect. Teacher gave me an incomplete, but I finished all my other three classes with passing grades.
Old 12-28-04, 04:08 AM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
DONT WORRY! I've been there too.

I wrote an email to my philosophy professor once explaining that I hadn't been attending class because of a medical situation and my ADD medication. And that ADD is something I've been struggling with. I focused my letter toward her letting me rewrite my essay on Natural Law. I mainly asked her if I had a chance at getting through her course because I had already missed so many classes that my grade was to the point of no return according to her syllabus. Whats worse is this was moral philosophy. She had no sympathy for anyone following so closly to fairness and procedure. I think I ended up being far too advanced for that class anyways because I've already studied James Rachels issues with social relativism. Basically our text was a book that consisted of different moral theories and Rachels opinions of them. I wasn't so sure that I agreed so much with Rachels especially what he presents as the natural law theory in which he accredits St. Thomas Aquinas for reforming the theory although I think Aquinas was reluctant to do so. I checked out like 4 books of Aristotle to get more of an idea of where he was coming from with Natural law. I wrote the 1600 page paper the first time, F'd it, although she liked my thesis statement. Attempted to rewrite it a second time with a clear head and a more focused purpose. My fricken computer erased it, saying sorry an error has occured and windows has to shut down. My 800 words were lost at 2 am the night before. I said **** philosophy and later I regreted it. I ended up failing it but had one A and 3 B's with the exception of the F at the end of the semester.

My professor never wrote me back and I was way too embarrased to return to class anyways. My email wasn't very long at all. I just wanted her to know what was going on with me and I wanted to ask her if I was able to make up something she didn't respond but I did see her on campus and avoided eye contact because I was too embarrassed. Who knows what she thinks about me.
Old 04-30-05, 05:34 AM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Heck...one class? My entire *******' graduation depends on 4 classes...all which hang in the balance at the moment, 6 days before the end of my final term...

Been a looooovely semester.

Chrys
Old 04-30-05, 11:38 PM
Contributor

Mystic_Oracle will become famous soon enough
Is there a way to stay on top of things without getting into this predicament? Please don't take this question the wrong way. I'm asking because I personally am tired of having to explain myself to teachers.
Old 04-30-05, 11:54 PM
Banned

mccoffee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Oracle
Is there a way to stay on top of things without getting into this predicament? Please don't take this question the wrong way. I'm asking because I personally am tired of having to explain myself to teachers.
keep a daily planner and stick to what you have to do for that day write evertyhing down.
Old 05-01-05, 12:00 AM
Contributor

Yeah, but did the initial poster of this thread do that?
Old 05-01-05, 12:11 AM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Hell, I don't know what anyone did or didn't do...all I know is, my stupid butt got behind this term, and getting behind is nooooot something I should do, I discovered!

Chrys
Old 05-01-05, 04:06 AM
Contributor

So the question is, how can you you keep from getting behind in the future? Ask yourself.
Old 05-01-05, 04:11 AM
Contributor

In order to keep these problems from reoccuring, what can be done? Strategies anyone?
Old 05-01-05, 04:13 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingJunkie
Hell, I don't know what anyone did or didn't do...all I know is, my stupid butt got behind this term, and getting behind is nooooot something I should do, I discovered!

Chrys
Well, your stupid butt is going to have to change whatever you've been doing so that you DON'T get behind next term! Maybe you need to change your routine or something...
Old 05-03-05, 04:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Way Too Flighty has disabled reputation
Elmore, you have written an excellent letter, and it should be obvious to anyone with both a mind and a heart that you deserve a very high grade in that class.

How did it go? How are you doing now?

I have inattentive ADD and LD. I have an expansive intellect and a caring heart. I enjoy work that serves some public purpose, and I feel most at home simply listening to another person.

I am learning how to live with ADD, heal from the hurts I've experienced along my quest for effective help, master my mind, and succeed at living in a way that is true to myself!

Old 05-03-05, 06:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

shinobi has disabled reputation
i wouldent wory, dont expect miricles but from what you said it sounds like the prof is a reasonable and understanding person. My situation, similar to yours, was one of the factors contributing to my less than healthy mind set of present. My tutors never noticed anything was wrong, although one did ask when i walked out of class totaly ****ed off at something he said that no one else took offence to. You are fortunate you told the tutor and im sure your circumstances will at least be taken into account when grading your work. Due to factors beyond my controll i was unable to acess student dissability services during my previous attempt at education and have now dropped out, whilst the decision was right, it has left me broke, relient on my parents and various other conciquences. I regret the decision to put my education on hold, again, but i was facing a brick and decided it was the safest option.

dont kill yourself over your education, or to put it another way, dont do something you wont be able to regret.

I wish you the best of luck, you sound very dedicated and hard working and deserve to go far in life, it also sounds like you need these grades so i hope you get them. Belive me, school (and this is from somone who has failed 3 concecutive attempts at an education) is one of the most important things you can get. Work hard and try your best to get your grades, you wont regret it.