ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-12, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
I cannot find the guidelines for links.

I have some questions about policies on linking to internet sites.

But first, where are the guidelines concerning links? I somehow cannot find them. I cannot ask my questions without some idea of what the published forum guidelines are.

Probably just missing them but a pointer would be appreciated.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (10-18-12), namazu (10-18-12)
Old 10-18-12, 02:03 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,231 Times in 8,581 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I cannot find the guidelines for links.

I think you will find most info on links written here.
Dizfriz (10-18-12), namazu (10-18-12)
Old 10-18-12, 02:12 PM

Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I think you will find most info on links written here.
Thanks. I looked there but perhaps I am blind in one and cannot see out of the other but I could not find it. Could you give me a specific pointer. I am looking for specific guidelines for posting links to other sites.

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (10-18-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-12, 02:41 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is what you were looking for?

Quote:
*No links to warez or illegal materials

*No links to any site for "points". No blind links to generate income.

*No links to other groups, forums or communities in signatures or posts, without the explicit written permission of a Site Admin.

*No links to viruses, fake viruses, or anything which could be of a violent nature to anyone’s PC

*Signatures and websites linked in signatures and posts must be family friendly and must not be blatant attempts to sell products or services.The Website linked in your signature must include a reciprocal link back to www.addforums.com.

** Links to personal blogs do not require a reciprocating link on the personal blog site. Links to all other blogs, including those connected to groups, forums or communities, are required to have a reciprocating link on the first page of the blog site. **

No Solicitation:
* No user may advertise, or otherwise provide information on any product they sell, distribute or market on the ADD Forums (either in a thread, post or private message) without the written permission of the Site Administrators. This also applies to solicitation of any and all products, services, organizations, content requests, medications and financial assistance.

- side note, this also applies to websites that sell a product or have a forum on them... -

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-18-12), namazu (10-18-12), sarek (10-18-12)
Old 10-18-12, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
Maybe this is what you were looking for?
Thanks for trying but this does not really spell out the rules and guidelines. I suspect that clear guidelines are not posted.

Lately I have seen a number of links have been removed due to the rules in that they are commercial sites trying to sell something.

More than one person has indicated in private messages to me being confused about the guidelines. I am confused on them also.

So to some questions I have.

Does the ban spread to any site selling anything? This would eliminate at least 90 or more percent of the sites on the net. Even scientific journals are selling subscriptions and often putting up a paywall past abstract. Does this mean we cannot link to them?

Other sites are while non profit are still selling some products. This includes Caddac, the holder of the great Barkley videos and who sells cds of the various lectures, Barkley's site, the source of the Consensus statement and a great list of research cites on ADHD, The Resource Center for ADHD (help4adhd), the great schools site which hosts the Barkley transcript, and many others that I use to find and communicate information on the forum. I want and in fact need to be able to link to them and I am no longer sure of what to do.

One time in a discussion of the Landover Baptist Church, a famous satire site, I posted a link to the Onion as a comparison. The Onion is probably the most famous satire site on the internet and arguably the world. The link was removed with a comment that commercial sites were not allowed to be linked to. I requested clarification and did not receive any feedback. I still do not know if this would be acceptable and if so in what context.

Even Wiki asks for money from time to time.

What do I do when I need to post a reference backing up a statement or some important information on ADHD?

In many of these cases a detailed address is necessary to link to the data. Sometimes I have spent a good bit of time finding this information and want to reference it in a discussion.

I want to follow the rules but I simply do not know what they are at this time and others seem to be confused also.

So where are the boundaries? Could the staff post a clarification on this issue. I know that I, for one, would appreciate it.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (10-18-12), namazu (10-18-12)
Old 10-18-12, 05:22 PM

Thanked 23,656 Times in 10,938 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

The problem may be that the more the staff tries to clarify the rules,

the more loopholes some posters will be able to find,

not to post helpful info but to sneak in adds for something.

I do think that it's a shame not to be able to share links like Barkley's,
Great Schools, and Wright's Law.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (10-18-12), Dizfriz (10-18-12)
Old 10-18-12, 08:30 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

The guidelines pertain to links in signatures, not in the body of the post, right?

I can not see the harm of providing an informative link that is not explicitly promoting anything. Since the bulk of content on the internet is supported by advertising, prohibiting all advertising would make it impossible to link to news articles etc.

The guidelines clearly need to be re-written for clarity. Until that time a little less zealousness in the enforcement of these fuzzy guidelines is in order.

-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (10-18-12), Dizfriz (10-18-12)
Old 10-18-12, 08:36 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

If you're really worried why not send the link to one of the mods via a PM and ask them if it's ok to post.
Old 10-18-12, 09:00 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's bodies of posts and signatures. It's really hard to come up with criteria that allow decent links without also allowing the ones that collect personal information and use cookies from direct links for marketing purposes and so forth. Sometimes it comes down to just taking a look at the links individually, and even then there are some fine lines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-18-12), namazu (10-20-12)
Old 10-18-12, 10:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
Does the ban spread to any site selling anything? This would eliminate at least 90 or more percent of the sites on the net. Even scientific journals are selling subscriptions and often putting up a paywall past abstract. Does this mean we cannot link to them?

Other sites are while non profit are still selling some products. This includes Caddac, the holder of the great Barkley videos and who sells cds of the various lectures, Barkley's site, the source of the Consensus statement and a great list of research cites on ADHD, The Resource Center for ADHD (help4adhd), the great schools site which hosts the Barkley transcript, and many others that I use to find and communicate information on the forum. I want and in fact need to be able to link to them and I am no longer sure of what to do.

One time in a discussion of the Landover Baptist Church, a famous satire site, I posted a link to the Onion as a comparison. The Onion is probably the most famous satire site on the internet and arguably the world. The link was removed with a comment that commercial sites were not allowed to be linked to. I requested clarification and did not receive any feedback. I still do not know if this would be acceptable and if so in what context.

Even Wiki asks for money from time to time.

What do I do when I need to post a reference backing up a statement or some important information on ADHD?

In many of these cases a detailed address is necessary to link to the data. Sometimes I have spent a good bit of time finding this information and want to reference it in a discussion.

I want to follow the rules but I simply do not know what they are at this time and others seem to be confused also.

So where are the boundaries? Could the staff post a clarification on this issue. I know that I, for one, would appreciate it.

Dizfriz
+1. I've re-read the rules several times by now and would also appreciate clarification. My only agenda is to learn and share as much information about ADHD so I can try to help my child.
The Following User Says Thank You to ConcertaParent For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-18-12)
Old 10-19-12, 09:46 AM

Perhaps to clarify a bit:

I don't to make a big deal of this but I have noticed what seems to be an increase in removing posts for containing commercial content.

I really have not had all that much trouble with this issue but it is confusing and I suspect in some need of clarification. I like to know kinda sorta what I can do when sitting down to write a post and needing to use links; can I probably use them or not?

This seems to be having an effect on my posting. I tend to post a lot of links and find myself sometimes either not writing or writing and not posting when a link is involved. Often I can find a workaround but if this complicated, I will simply not make the post. Sometimes I need to point to a specific page to support my ideas. If I cannot do this then I have no reason to write or post it. Now there are probably some who feel that my writing less might not be a bad thing but that is another issue. (grin) but sometimes I feel what I am trying to say might be of help to someone and that's why I post at all.

These things often take a lot of time to write (hours on the more complex ones, I am not a fast writer) and I need to have a rough idea of what is acceptable. I try very hard to follow the guidelines of the forum so this is of some importance to me.

I fully realize that absolute or even very specific guidelines are not possible and the mods need leeway to make decisions so just a general sense of the lay of the land so to speak would be would be appreciated.

Tudorose, it is a good suggestion but not one I prefer to take except in perhaps some unusual situations. It is much easier to simply not make the post.

Amtram, I understand and that is way I bring up general guidelines, just a sign pointing the way to grandma's house if you would.

I am not arguing with any guidelines that staff may feel appropriate but in this case "What are they?"

Please understand that I very much like the way the forum is managed and this is a small issue but one I felt the need to bring up. I suspect the reason I am having this problem is that I work hard to try to follow the rules and guidelines of the forum but to do this, I need to have a reasonable grasp of what they are.

For the most part the guidelines are clear but only on this point do I have an issue. I was banned from another ADHD forum for posting the links I often post here. Maybe I am a little touchy on the subject...it is possible.

Yours,

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (10-19-12), Lunacie (10-19-12), namazu (10-20-12)
Old 10-19-12, 08:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: I cannot find the guidelines for links.

Quote:
This seems to be having an effect on my posting. I tend to post a lot of links and find myself sometimes either not writing or writing and not posting when a link is involved. Often I can find a workaround but if this complicated, I will simply not make the post. Sometimes I need to point to a specific page to support my ideas. If I cannot do this then I have no reason to write or post it.
The posts with informative/useful/relevant links by Dizfriz, Drewbacca, namazu, BR549, peripatetic, Fortune, etc., etc. are my favourite part of this support forum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ConcertaParent For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-19-12), namazu (10-20-12), peripatetic (11-25-13)
Old 10-19-12, 10:38 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

If the purpose of the site or the page is to promote a product or service, that's pretty clear-cut. For example, if a link that talks about vitamins for treatment extols their virtues and has a convenient button to purchase, that's kind of a no-brainer.

One of the less obvious things I look at, personally, is the "shopping cart." How closely related is it to the content of the page? How obviously located is it relative to the text? How easy is it to get to? I've found myself searching around on more than one occasion to try to find a secondary source because the primary source is the site of the author or doctor or whatever.

I've actually had to put a lot of thought into some links, because this is my personal nitpicky issue, sorry to say. Is it OK to link to Scripps or Elsevier? Well, if that were the only place you could see the abstract of a study, you'd have to make an exception, but PubMed is an equally useful alternative. Links to pharmaceutical manufacturers and suppliers to practitioners are obviously going to have a commercial nature, but since there's little danger of an individual deciding to shell out $3000 for 30 WAIS test packets or being able to order a caseload of medication, it's not the same kind of issue. Links where you have to go back to the main menu to see that there's forums or a store are sometimes ok, sometimes not, depending on the relative value of the content.

There's a lot of room for debate on this, and usually there is unless it's a patently obvious case. I wouldn't worry about it, just be conscious of it. When in doubt, you can always copy/paste enough to make your point or to work as the first hit in a search engine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-20-12), namazu (10-20-12), peripatetic (10-19-12)
Old 10-20-12, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post

There's a lot of room for debate on this, and usually there is unless it's a patently obvious case. I wouldn't worry about it, just be conscious of it. When in doubt, you can always copy/paste enough to make your point or to work as the first hit in a search engine.
OK, I will continue on as I am and see what happens.

Dizfriz
Old 10-20-12, 10:27 AM

Thanked 23,656 Times in 10,938 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK, I will continue on as I am and see what happens.

Dizfriz
I hate to make more work for the mods, but since I'm not clear where
the breaking point is between a site that's blatantly selling something

or offering information that you can also buy, I will share what I find
and try to remember which sites the mods PM me about.

Given my not-so-great memory, it may take a few reminders.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Amtram (10-20-12), ConcertaParent (10-20-12), Dizfriz (10-20-12)