ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 10-23-12, 03:09 PM

florida111 is on a distinguished road
vyvanse second day not working

I went on 20mg vyvanse starting yesterday, my first add med I've used, and yesterday it worked amazingly. For the first time in a long time I could focus on and organize all my school work and I was actually motivated to do my work and actually felt good once I completed them. My first day normal in a few years. It worked great. But today, it basically did nothing. Could this be because I had zero tolerance yesterday? I know 20mg is low dose do I need more? I was pretty tired from a lack of sleep last night though, but even tiredness aside I felt my normall innatentive add self. What do I need to do? I really want it to work like it did yesterday.
Old 10-23-12, 03:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,050 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Re: vyvanse second day not working

miami beach here :P
Old 10-23-12, 04:26 PM

florida111 is on a distinguished road

Also side question to this, can tiredness cancel all the effects of vyvanse? Because looking back on it now, normally I go to sleep around 9:30-10:00 and wake up at 6:15 (8hr 45min or 8hr 15min of sleep total). And last night because of the vyvanse on the first day of taking it I went to sleep around 11:30 and woke up during the night, and was tossing and turning which I normally don't do, and still woke up at 6:15 (6hr 45min, plus the waking up and tossing and turning). Could this be responsible for removing the effects of the vyvanse completely? Hopefully I'll get good nights sleep tonight because I'm so tired and don't feel the vyvanse. Also could eating less cause it to work less too? I've also been eating a lot less than I normally would since Friday, not because of the vyvanse but because I got my wisdom teeth out and it's too much work to eat (though, on my first day of vyvanse when it did work, I actually had the motivation to just eat at a slower pace and finish all my food rather than just avoiding eating because it is too time consuming and too much work lol).
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

Tiredness will cancel the effects of stimulants. It will take a few days to get used to the medication and start sleeping better.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDarren For This Useful Post:
Plognark (10-25-12)
Old 10-23-12, 06:31 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,891 Times in 3,270 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

20mg is a small dose, but you are aware of that Try to get a good night sleep, and give it a better shot than a day. If nothing else, you can call your doctor and see if he'll up your dose

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-25-12, 09:46 AM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

It's one of the aggravating things about stims: they work best if you're well-rested, but they can easily completely **** up your ability to get well rested. So you start off with a good night's sleep, take your stimulant meds in the morning, have a good day, but then can't sleep at night. Not only does this tend to make your ADHD symptoms worse the next day, it also makes the stims good for nothing that day, too. And then, if you're me, you make the mistake of trying to overcompensate for the total lack of symptom coverage that day by increasing the stims or supplementing with caffeine or something, and that makes the sleep issue even worse...

The trick (and it's one I have yet to figure out) is finding juuuust the right dosage of the right stim(s) so that you get adequate symptom coverage without becoming a sleep deprived zombie.

I write this as I've now been awake on Vyvanse and caffeine for 26 hours, btw.

Oh -- and yes, diet makes a difference, too.

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse

Last edited by Phoenix Ash; 10-25-12 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: forgot a word
Old 10-25-12, 10:05 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,529 Times in 1,942 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

For a reality check

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134158
Old 10-25-12, 10:41 AM
Contributor

Plognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida111 View Post
Also side question to this, can tiredness cancel all the effects of vyvanse? Because looking back on it now, normally I go to sleep around 9:30-10:00 and wake up at 6:15 (8hr 45min or 8hr 15min of sleep total). And last night because of the vyvanse on the first day of taking it I went to sleep around 11:30 and woke up during the night, and was tossing and turning which I normally don't do, and still woke up at 6:15 (6hr 45min, plus the waking up and tossing and turning). Could this be responsible for removing the effects of the vyvanse completely? Hopefully I'll get good nights sleep tonight because I'm so tired and don't feel the vyvanse. Also could eating less cause it to work less too? I've also been eating a lot less than I normally would since Friday, not because of the vyvanse but because I got my wisdom teeth out and it's too much work to eat (though, on my first day of vyvanse when it did work, I actually had the motivation to just eat at a slower pace and finish all my food rather than just avoiding eating because it is too time consuming and too much work lol).
Short answer: yep, sure can

And yes, low blood sugar from not eating can diminish the effects as well. I suggest snacking lightly throughout the day, beause your thirst/hunger signalling is going to be a bit off.