ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-28-12, 09:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,443 Times in 7,421 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
does adderall affect your dopamine levels?

If seen a few members state that adderall affects your dopamine. If it does how does that work? I am not sure that understand this. If it affects your dopamine negatively does that mean long term use is unsafe?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-28-12, 10:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,989 Times in 1,530 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: does adderall affect your dopamine levels?

From what I know (which isnīt a great deal) adderall blocks dopamine reuptake so instead of the dopamine being returned to the neuron to be used again, it is got rid of. So I donīt know if it means the eventually more adderall will be need or not.

Iīm also not sure if this deficiency occurs in people with adhd taking recommended amounts of the drug or if it occurs in people who have abused the drug.

Then again I could be completely mixing up this info with something else as it was something a friendīs sister told me who is a psychiatrist and I tend not to remember stuff very well but we had a pretty long conversation about meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (10-29-12)
Old 10-28-12, 01:35 PM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

There are two ideas at work here. The basic, intended mechanism is that amphetamines (like Adderall and others) force your brain to push more dopamine from the neurons out into the synaptical space. At the same time, amphetamines also block reuptake of dopamine back into the neurons. Thus, a greater amount of dopamine than usual hangs around in the synaptical space for a longer period of time. Your brain gets more use out of it that way -- it isn't gotten rid of.

Once the amphetamines wear off, then the neurons are unblocked and can reabsorb the dopamine.

Sometimes, particularly in cases of abuse and addiction, continued long-term use can cause something called Dopamine Depletion Syndrome. The brain basically gets burned out and its ability to do all of the above is compromised.

Ideally, though, if your usage of amphetamines is kept to strictly therapeutic levels and well-monitored by a doctor who knows what they're doing, this shouldn't become a problem.

Of course, we don't live in an ideal world, and there's still a lot we don't understand.

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse

Last edited by Phoenix Ash; 10-28-12 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix Ash For This Useful Post:
ana futura (10-28-12), namazu (10-29-12), sarahsweets (10-29-12), sunnydaysahead (10-28-12), Unmanagable (10-29-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-12, 10:05 PM

Galactica75 is on a distinguished road

It's actually a lot more complicated than dopamine levels, because dopamine is easily replenished by the body.

The main problem has to do with the receptors and their down-regulation. Meaning that you can have really high levels of dopamine but your brain will still react as if you have normal or even low levels of dopamine. This study explains it in detail http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12727693
Quote:
These data suggest that dopamine receptor function linked to adenylyl cyclase is partially desensitized in the striatum of human methamphetamine users. Decreased dopamine D(1) receptor function might underlie part of the known (drug withdrawal syndrome) or expected (drug tolerance) consequences of methamphetamine exposure in humans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galactica75 For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-29-12)
Old 10-29-12, 07:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

any question intended purely at a single NT cannot be answered effectively as brain chemistry hardly works in isolation.....its also individual to many extents as well......
even if talking dopamine alone, you still have to consider the effect of action on multiple brain systems, such as the limbic system (ie, parkisons for deffiency) or the pre-frontal cortex (ADD for deficiency or schizo for excess)......

the other unfortunate thing is, no one can measure NT levels in the brain as of yet......serum measurements are useless
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-29-12), sarahsweets (10-29-12)
Old 10-29-12, 08:46 PM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

An additional problem is if your dopamine is too high, it can form free radicals that are toxic to the dopaminergic neurons, leading to neuron damage / death. This is usually mentioned in the context of methamphetamine abuse though, but I could see this occuring if the rx is too high, or if you have certain health conditions.

I've tried to read about how it specifically affects the transporter proteins, storage of dopamine, and dopamine release, and how this occurs in the absence of amphetamine, but when I do it starts to make my head spin a little bit. At one point I found a webpage that broke it down...if I can find it later I'll post it for your reference.
Old 10-29-12, 09:06 PM

AlphaOne has a spectacular aura aboutAlphaOne has a spectacular aura about

i wonder about how adderall and dopamine blockers works together because it looks like one is trying to out-do another. i listen to anatomy of epidemic and what it says about neuroleptic is horrific
Old 10-29-12, 09:21 PM
Jr Member

Voyaging is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
If seen a few members state that adderall affects your dopamine. If it does how does that work? I am not sure that understand this. If it affects your dopamine negatively does that mean long term use is unsafe?
No this is not what it means.

Adderall does increase dopamine levels in the brain as its main method of producing effects (it also increases norepinephrine). After taking it for long periods of time, your body can down-regulate dopamine function to compensate. However, this is less apparent if your medication is taken as prescribed and not abused.

This does not imply danger to the brain (though it can if the drug is abused). Most of the effects are reversible if the medication is stopped for a long enough period of time.
Old 10-29-12, 11:03 PM
Jr Member

Rams88 is on a distinguished road

One thing I notice for sure, is if I am finishing a product and up all night and taking my doses as recommended (adderall XR 30mg x2 daily) then I get severely depressed when it wears off.

Might be withdraws or might be because the brain isn't getting the same level of dopamine as it was before on the medication.